Dundee United 2014/15 Season

I do wish arabtrust would just fuck off. Whiny, self-entitled arseholes.

I've not always been Thompson's biggest fan, largely because of the negative whining we used to get from him (boo hoo my self made millionaire dad spent some of my inheritance on a football club and all I got was this lousy highly paid job as chairman). My approach was always, if you don't like it you could always go back to whatever it was you were doing before this pretty awesome job fell in your lap. Equally though it's not really any of my business how you conduct the minutiae of your business affairs at your business. I'd be pretty irritated if it was my business and my business partner was refusing to meet with me or justify his dealings but it's not my business and neither is it arabtrust's business.

On a more general note: if arabtrust want to increase fan ownership in United then they should spend the money they raise on buying shares (if they can find a willing seller). Instead the money which they bring in is largely donated to the club (youth program or whatever). This is in itself is fair enough but they shouldn't kid themselves on that it gives them a say in the running of the club.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a catch 22 in some ways. Thompson has undoubtedly saved this club given how bad things were when his dad died, but on the other hand there is a dark side to this given these revelations and accusations. Given we have sold a few key players and our poor form it is the perfect (or some would say terrible) time to have a good go at the chairman as many fans will feel it is deserved.

Which revelations?

Pretty reliable source has let slip that Paul Paton is one of those who is receiving a percentage of commission on player sales.

You're on the wind up ;)

Also get that blonde bird playing pool back as your avatar!!! :(

I don't see why you've used Mike Ashley as some sort of bad bar-o-meter. Newcastle are achieving pretty much what they should and are making plenty money.

Er no they aren't, 50,000 through the gates should mean they should definitely not be mid to lower table dross. That's for another thread though.

I'm hearing Paul Paton (and possibly Rankin) have been paid to be shite this year. As an international, scouts may use Paton as a bar for players they may be looking at - he plays poorly and your GMS and Armstrongs look class in comparison and therefore must be world beaters.

My source is usually very reliable but I didn't want to believe this as out sounds too out there and he heard it at one of the booze/sex/drugs parties under the Fair Play Stand - however this explain Ranks & Pates poor performances this year in comparison to the world beaters they were heralded as last season.

Ah, yeah. Because the number of folk in the terracing infinitely increases the quality of player on the park :blink: they're a fucking no mark club compared to those, regularly, above them. Should Sunderland be challenging too?

Correct. Newcastle came close to winning the league once, a very long time ago and have been mediocre to shite since long before Ashley came along and will continue to be mediocre to shite when he leaves.

Ah, yeah. Because the number of folk in the terracing infinitely increases the quality of player on the park :blink: they're a fucking no mark club compared to those, regularly, above them. Should Sunderland be challenging too?

Correct. Newcastle came close to winning the league once, a very long time ago and have been mediocre to shite since long before Ashley came along and will continue to be mediocre to shite when he leaves.

Mike Ashley is interested in nothing other than Mike Ashley, said as much when he got involved at Ibrox. He's done well to steady the ship at St James, but has now reached a period of stagnation where he doesn't seem bothered. Relationship with local press and fans is horrific. Newcastle currently have the third most fans through the gates in England, decent stewardship of the club should mean they are capable of competing higher than Stoke or Swansea over any length of time.

Mike Ashley is interested in nothing other than Mike Ashley, said as much when he got involved at Ibrox. He's done well to steady the ship at St James, but has now reached a period of stagnation where he doesn't seem bothered. Relationship with local press and fans is horrific. Newcastle currently have the third most fans through the gates in England, decent stewardship of the club should mean they are capable of competing higher than Stoke or Swansea over any length of time.

Pretty sure when he came in they were losing cash hand over fist and struggling in the Championship / lower half of Premiership.

Now they have turned a handsome profit for the first time in years and are competing in the middle/top half (as much as yu can outwith the big 4 or 5) of the Premiership. Despite this improvement in position their fans are not happy that he is choosing to run his business as a business.....

Haud on - which Utd are we on about?

I'm hearing Paul Paton (and possibly Rankin) have been paid to be shite this year. As an international, scouts may use Paton as a bar for players they may be looking at - he plays poorly and your GMS and Armstrongs look class in comparison and therefore must be world beaters.

My source is usually very reliable but I didn't want to believe this as out sounds too out there and he heard it at one of the booze/sex/drugs parties under the Fair Play Stand - however this explain Ranks & Pates poor performances this year in comparison to the world beaters they were heralded as last season.

See the thing is Rankin and Paton were doing their job last year, no one thought they were world beaters, but they were doing an effective job. I'm not saying this is true or false, what I will say is neither are good enough to be told to play shit imo.

Pretty sure when he came in they were losing cash hand over fist and struggling in the Championship / lower half of Premiership.

Now they have turned a handsome profit for the first time in years and are competing in the middle/top half (as much as yu can outwith the big 4 or 5) of the Premiership. Despite this improvement in position their fans are not happy that he is choosing to run his business as a business.....

Haud on - which Utd are we on about?

You've just repeated what I said using more words.

The fans aren't happy as he never tells them anything. Surely a good relationship between owner and fans is positive? Newcastle United have nothing like that. With the untold millions coming into the EPL, why is it that no decent manager seems to want to go anywhere near St James?

Probably the same reason no decent players want to. Hence why they're exactly where they belong :1eye

My point is that with the money down south, Ashley might need to speculate to accumulate.

Anyhow back to Tannadice. I think one thing that can be learned from Newcastle is just a bit of openness with the support. Thompson has used the media a lot in the last couple of years, but recently seems to be avoiding them.

Mike Ashley said he's only interested in Mike Ashley whilst investing in Rangers but wanting to make it through the dual ownership regulations? No shit Sherlock.

'Steady the ship at Newcastle' :lol: well, that's a massive injustice to what he's done.

Oh, they've the third highest? I'll ask again, should Sunderland be challenging too?

Mike Ashley has done well for them but is now treating them as far to much of a business in Newcastle fans eyes, it's like he actually doesn't want them to do anything but be in the EPL, I was hearing one of Talksports NE correspondents saying that in the next few years it's likely that St James Park will start to become more and more empty as the city is becoming fed up. They're not demanding that they win anything, just that they aim to do better and show a bit of ambition instead of just plodding along, making cuts to save money whilst hoping that they're able to retain their lower mid table mediocrity EPL status season upon season. Attendances do mean something aswell which is why clubs spend huge amounts on new stadia and hospitality, if it didn't mean anything why would Tottenham be building a new stadium, West Ham moving ground, Liverpool renovating? Newcastles turnover in 12-13 was 96 million, match day/gate/commercial income made up about £45 million pounds of that compared to Southamptons 24 or Stokes 10. Season upon season that adds up and you'd think that if they did show a bit more ambition, spent a bit more cash they could be doing better.

Stevie, if you're reading this, I'll have your tangerine spectacles. Cheers mate.

Can't help you with that '6-2' tattoo, though.

He's a Dee but it just goes to show that money brings out the worse in people.

Poor c**t has to have a shower with a bottle of Domestos and a brillo pad every night.

Revelations was maybe a bit sensationalist but you know what I mean, the accusations and points made about everything that is currently being discussed.

Sorry it wasn't your characterisation which I was querying rather which of the allegations/revelations/shocking exposes was actually causing you concern. What I took from the statement was that certain individuals (and from the tone of the statement I can guess which sadsack wrote it) are in the huff with Thompson because he hasn't been giving them their perceived place and have decided to spite him by rehashing and sensationalising matters which they only half understand and, frankly, shouldn't really concern them.

He's a Dee but it just goes to show that money brings out the worse in people.

Poor c**t has to have a shower with a bottle of Domestos and a brillo pad every night.

Champagne and hookers, darling, do keep up.

Archived