Dundee United 2014/15 Season

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a minter at all. We've made massive profits selling good players with more to come if these players do well whilst firmly ensconced in the top 6. A minter would be being shite, selling your best players for a pittance and bobbing around in the lower - middle reaches of the table. That's not a dig at St Mirren, incidentally, it applies to most clubs in the division.

Oh I completely agree on that front, that's what I was hinting at, we've got a terrible track record of getting good deals for our players.They may be gone but at least you got relatively good value for most of them. We've just seen one of the best young players we've produced recently, and probably our only hope of staying up, disappear for £250k. Your BoD may not be perfect but they could be doing a lot worse.

The Gauld, Robertson and Armstrong deals all appear to be pretty good business compared to what other Scottish cubs are getting for their players but the sums don't seem to quite add up if you've still got a sizeable debt burden and as some of your fans have said you do seem to have gone for the quantity not quality approach recently in the transfer market, but I suppose that's a different matter.

Oh I completely agree on that front, that's what I was hinting at, we've got a terrible track record of getting good deals for our players.They may be gone but at least you got relatively good value for most of them. We've just seen one of the best young players we've produced recently, and probably our only hope of staying up, disappear for £250k. Your BoD may not be perfect but they could be doing a lot worse.

The Gauld, Robertson and Armstrong deals all appear to be pretty good business compared to what other Scottish cubs are getting for their players but the sums don't seem to quite add up if you've still got a sizeable debt burden and as some of your fans have said you do seem to have gone for the quantity not quality approach recently in the transfer market, but I suppose that's a different matter.

Some of our fans are idiots.

It was well publicised that a proportion of the Gauld and Robertson fees would go to the bank in exchange for their taking a haircut on the debt. Add to that the fact that transfer fees are never paid upfront and the inevitable transactional costs and it's not at all surprising that we aren't fully debt free yet. People have short memories, get used to a good thing very quickly and are ludicrously unforgiving of any perceived weakness. All things considered it's hardly surprising that some wankers are loudly bumping their gums. By the time they realise they were wrong they'll have moved on to some other perceived slight to get upset about.

FWIW those moaning about the quantity over quality thing are likely the same ones who were moaning about the squad being too thin 15 minutes ago. Some people are just arseholes and will never be happy. They aren't worth analysing too closely.

Bring back the days of United teams that looked like this - Jarvie, Wilson, McCracken, Innes, Archibald, McInnes, Kerkar, Brebner, Robson, McIntyre, Scotland.

There is a section of our support that seem to have some kind of mental block for the years under people like Hegarty, McCall, Chisholm and Brewster and our spending sprees under Thompson's dad. As much as it hurts to see players leave and feel frustrated by some of the decisions made by the board I thank my lucky stars this isn't 2004.

So I've not been paying attention to football much recently (a wee weekend jaunt to Lisbon and then the international fixtures when I return not being hugely exciting), but apparently we're fucked or something?

That'll teach me to ignore everything. Lisbon was great though, to be fair. :thumsup2

So I've not been paying attention to football much recently (a wee weekend jaunt to Lisbon and then the international fixtures when I return not being hugely exciting), but apparently we're fucked or something?

That'll teach me to ignore everything. Lisbon was great though, to be fair. :thumsup2

Welcome home, Thommo!

Personally I think people are overreacting due to the recent poor performances on the park

Saturday is the 1st time in 5 weeks United won't have had Celtic, a wee win going into the derby and a win against Dundee would stop a lot of the talk that's gone on recently I reckon

I think if United finish 4th they can call it a successful season

Yes you are. Barring a player sale every season, you're going to run at a loss.

And if my auntie had balls etc. Your dim friend was moaning about United running at a massive loss within days of the club posting record profits which don't include any of our recent sales. In light of those sales we'll also post massive profits for the next two years which will make it four years on the trot.

Without continuing sales and assuming that other income streams don't rise and outgoings don't fall then there's the risk that we'll post a loss in a couple of years time. Doesn't make for quite as dramatic a statement as 'we're running at a massive loss!' but it does have the benefit of being accurate.

Personally I think people are overreacting due to the recent poor performances on the park

Saturday is the 1st time in 5 weeks United won't have had Celtic, a wee win going into the derby and a win against Dundee would stop a lot of the talk that's gone on recently I reckon

I think if United finish 4th they can call it a successful season

There's an element of truth in that. There had been grumbles since the January sales but when are we ever happy? If we'd beaten Celtic in one of the cup matches, much of the immediate noise would never have happened.

The reality is that we're a selling club with those sales funding a slightly better squad than our crowds would really justify. Where did the missing millions go? I think PMS is right and this was the price of the bank taking an up-front hit.

Personally I think people are overreacting

People overreacting? On a football forum? Imagine that !!

Not been on mad but can imagine the utter seethe on there. PMS called it on right on an element of our fans.

But to be fair every club has a section of the support that are never happy. Dundee even have a special home stand for them. You know who I mean !!!

So they were correct with the 500k stuff. Fucking lolz.

Don't worry though, guys - we'll have reduced the debt to £1.4m soon and will still be running at a 100k loss even after selling four of the best five players at the club.

WE ARE SOME CLUB

People overreacting? On a football forum? Imagine that !!

Not been on mad but can imagine the utter seethe on there. PMS called it on right on an element of our fans.

:lol:

I know!

Had a lot of angry Arabs in work this week though!!! :lol:

The Dundee fans rubbing their paws together thinking they're finally going to beat United too! Wednesday should be a good game!!

:lol:

I know!

Had a lot of angry Arabs in work this week though!!! :lol:

The Dundee fans rubbing their paws together thinking they're finally going to beat United too! Wednesday should be a good game!!

I still think United will win, purely because we never seem to match the same intensity level.

In saying that, I can't make it so we probably will win and I'll miss it!

Don't worry though, guys - we'll have reduced the debt to £1.4m soon and will still be running at a 100k loss even after selling four of the best five players at the club.

WE ARE SOME CLUB

You're a fucking idiot.

WE ARE SOME CLUB

Running at an operating loss does not mean we are running at a loss overall, that's why we've posted a profit for the last 4 of 5 years.

It does worry and confuse me though as to how we're still 2.65 million pounds in debt after all these sales. I don't know the ins and outs of the deal in which we transferred our debt from the bank to the mystery fans, but I'm beginning to think it wasn't as great a piece of business as Thompson was desperate for us to believe.

Archived