Cowdenbeath 2014/15 Championship Thread

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The situation with Jimmy Nic is now farcical. We are fighting to prevent relegation and yet our manager is allowed to swan off and do his other more important job. I'm lost as to what the board are thinking here.

We have been playing a soul destroying brand of football all season, Jimmys signings have been terrible with so much money wasted on sub standard players, We have an eye bleeding goal diff, We lost 10-0 to a team in the same league as us, loyal diehard supporters can't face going to games, Jimmy has announced that he has offered to resign on three separate occasions after terrible results, our manager constantly changes the team and refuses to play one of our best defenders, we lack leadership on the park and off it, there appears to be a lack of communication or any form of constructive relationship between Jimmy and his assistant manager...........etc,etc, :( .

Why Jimmy hasn't walked or been sacked by now is beyond comprehension.

Well done coo. If I could be arsed ........

We shipped 4. He'll be dropped on Tuesday

It seems like JN has made Darren Brownlie the scapegoat for no valid reason this season. Unless something has happened between the 2 that the supporters are unaware of? Darren, Chopper & Nat should be the first 3 names on the team sheet. If JN changes that on Tuesday then he has lost it. Obviously the only player out of that trio that can possibly be dropped is Brownlie!

Ron and only Coo have nailed it for me. I will go an supper the club no matter where I stay or what league we are in (be it league 2 or the lowland league) but I can't support Jimmy Nicholl. I'm done giving him any more backing. It's utterly embarraisng to support the club with the way things have gone.

I'll be at the game on Saturday supporting the team - agaisnst my better judgement - but I will not support the manager. Even if we stay up this season has been a disaster.

[quote: Jimmy has been well supported by Donald and the board. He has had a decent budget for players. He has coveted Colin Nish for a while, and funds were made available to give him his wish. Cowden have been good for him, and his future is all mapped out.

For me, a line was crossed when he went on radio and said he'd tried to resign three times. He has also criticised the players in the public prints. What kind of motivational strategy is that? At the start of the season, Jimmy said how important this season would be - how he wanted to lead players like Chopper and Kenny to places like Ibrox. Well, the game was at Ibrox today, and Jimmy was in Ireland, pursuing his new career.

That, frankly, is just not good enough.

If Jimmy Nicholl is an honourable man, he should do the honourable thing.

He should stop talking about resignations, and resign, and concentrate his attention on his new job. If he did so, he would keep the respect of the fans.

Cowden can still save this season. There are no guarantees that the change Vince suggests will work, but it will give us a fighting chance. We still have good, loyal players at the club who will fight till the last kick of the ball.

We need 100 % committed leadership at the helm, and we need it now.]

Okeydokey. I have been mooting a change of management since September last year. Kierky has come out now and his sentiments are spot on. I believe there is a board meeting on Monday night. CC can still be found looking at the posts on here so I would like to offer an open letter to Mr Donald Finlay QC, Chairman, Cowdenbeath Football Club from me.

I hope anybody who is going to the meeting will print this out and take it along.

Dear Mr Findlay,

I write with respect to the current predicament that Cowdenbeath Football Club finds itself with six games to go in the 2014/2015 season in the SPFL Championship season.

It is with deep regret that I must report that the majority of fans of Cowdenbeath Football Club have utterly lost confidence in the ability of the current Football management team, headed by Jimmy Nicholl, to deliver the results neccessary to secure the short term future of the playing side of the club in the Championship.

It is also considered regrettable that, on a day that Cowdenbeath FC was playing a major fixture in the fight for survival in the division against one of the historically biggest teams and in one of the largest venues in Scotland, Mr Nicholl was not present having chosen to exercise his new international managment responsibilities.

Notwithstanding the results this season, not the least of which is a seismically embarrassing and historically record-equalling defeat and given the football club's league predicament, his absence is viewed as an extreme abrogation of his reponsibilities and an indication of the level of commitment of Mr Nicholl to the football club. It is the considered view of both myself, and a significant majority of the Cowdenbeath fan base, that to allow him to continue in his current role at Cowdenbeath FC would result in the club sleepwalking into a potentially avoidable relegation.

It is my request that the board of Cowdenbeath Football Club remove Jimmy Nicholl from the post of manager of Cowdebeath Football Club with immediate effect. I would recommend that an approach be made to, for example Iain Jenkins - formerly an assistant manager of Cowdenbeath FC and now an SFA coach, to be appointed the manager of Cowdenbeath Football Club on a match by match basis for the remaining six games of the 2014/2015 season. Confirmation of his availability should be established as a matter of urgency. Any appointment, at this stage, would of course allow for the incumbent to plan for the next campaign - whatever level that might be at. I cannot, for an instant, imagine that Jimmy Nicholl will remain as manager of Cowdenbeath FC beyond the end of this season.

I trust that this message will be received in the spirit it was intended. It is recognised with immense gratitude that the board of Cowdenbeath Football Club has taken the club forward, off-field, with a highly commendable energy, commitment and sacrifice. This intervention is considered necessary to remind the board that on-field issues need urgent consideration for the future well being of the club.

With warmest wishes

A Fan.

It seems like JN has made Darren Brownlie the scapegoat for no valid reason this season. Unless something has happened between the 2 that the supporters are unaware of? Darren, Chopper & Nat should be the first 3 names on the team sheet. If JN changes that on Tuesday then he has lost it. Obviously the only player out of that trio that can possibly be dropped is Brownlie!

The Brownlie situation has mystified me. I was so pleased when he signed on again for this season. There could well be another reason for being continually being overlooked nothing to do with ability that we don't know about.

There has also been the reverse of this where players have been playing poorly week after week yet still being a first choice.

Also some of our signings have beggared belief.

As said already,a season that promised so much and everyone was looking forward to has turned into a season that everyone wants to forget.

I will also continue going to as many games as I can but only to support the team and hope somehow that we can get another couple of wins before the end of the season. Don't think we will even be in the playoffs.

It's incredible, given how poor we have been, that survival in the Scottish Championship is still in our hands, given that we have a game in hand over Alloa. Whoever is in charge for the final few games, we should support the team. If JN remains in post and pulls it off, then good on him.

What is beyond doubt, though, is that even at this late stage, Jimmy still doesn't seem to know what his best formation and team selection is. (Compare Dumbarton, a part-time club on a level with ourselves, which has even done well against the big boys and has pretty well secured its place in the division.) While survival is still possible for Cowden, the team badly needs clearer direction from the top. It also needs more enthusiasm and energy from the top: Jimmy's body language, talk of resignations and absence in Northern Ireland while we were up against it at Ibrox are sending out entirely the wrong signals at this crucial stage of the season. If LM picked the team yesterday, it's significant that he fielded Brownlie and benched Nish, and that the team put in a battling performance, with Rangers only making sure of victory late in the game. What we need right now is not more Blarney and excuses, but leadership. Even at this late juncture, we know we have players who can do the business, with the right direction and commitment at the top.

We are only a point behind Alloa so amazingly it is still possible to survive another season in the championship. Hopefully we can get some positive results in the next few games. Everything to play for.

It's also good to hear that the players put in a battling performance yesterday but dissapointing they collapsed at the end.

Hope they show a battling performance on Tuesday night as I will be backing them at TFS.

We changed to 3-4-3 to try and get an equaliser, which was fine by me for at least we had a go rather than just accept a 2-1 defeat.

Agreed, the goal difference doesnt matter a toss anymore so we are better going for it.

Aye to goal difference is bust so LM was as well changing things to try and get a draw. Didn't work out but at least he was willing to make a change.

It's incredible, given how poor we have been, that survival in the Scottish Championship is still in our hands, given that we have a game in hand over Alloa. Whoever is in charge for the final few games, we should support the team. If JN remains in post and pulls it off, then good on him.

What is beyond doubt, though, is that even at this late stage, Jimmy still doesn't seem to know what his best formation and team selection is. (Compare Dumbarton, a part-time club on a level with ourselves, which has even done well against the big boys and has pretty well secured its place in the division.) While survival is still possible for Cowden, the team badly needs clearer direction from the top. It also needs more enthusiasm and energy from the top: Jimmy's body language, talk of resignations and absence in Northern Ireland while we were up against it at Ibrox are sending out entirely the wrong signals at this crucial stage of the season. If LM picked the team yesterday, it's significant that he fielded Brownlie and benched Nish, and that the team put in a battling performance, with Rangers only making sure of victory late in the game. What we need right now is not more Blarney and excuses, but leadership. Even at this late juncture, we know we have players who can do the business, with the right direction and commitment at the top.

To be honest, I don't think any of us realise just how difficult it is to assemble a squad of part time players and to attempt to compete against the likes of Hearts, Rangers and Hibs - or indeed Falkirk QoS and Raith. There have been times this season when our fans have lost the faith too. The mistake I think is to imagine that there are quick and easy solutions. We have questioned Murray's judgement over abandoning last season's attacking formation and reverting to formations most of which rely on packing the midfield and playing one up front and yet we've just ground out ten points from the last fifteen using these tactics.

I've read on here the dissatisfaction with Nichol and have been pretty sympathetic to him. He's surely done a decent job keeping Cowden up so far - particularly in the pay offs last year. However, two things have changed my mind. 1) The signing of Nish - thanks Jimmy! and 2) Him taking the NI assistant's job.

You're right Ron, I think a change is required for the reasons you state. Good luck.

Archived