Heart of Midlothian 2014-

36 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Hearts fans are one of the, if not, the most unattractive bunch of supporters in the country, followed by Celtic and Peterhead.

Do you find the ten fingers and ten toes are a turn off?

The club condemned it which is better than the clubs who turn a blind eye or even gain from bigotry and hatred. The media love a story like this but yet fall silent over the two bigoted brothers constantly. Well done hearts for encouraging people to stand up against the knuckledraggers.

2 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

Saulius Mikoliunas. 

It was Scottish societal racism rather than a couple of fat old bald men, but still.

Miko definitely.

My mum was a fat, bald old man.

28 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Hertz have "some" racist morons like their m9s across the m8. Who knew?

Hearts  racist morons are every bit as bad as Hibs racist morons, seriously.

Hopefully this can be a catalyst for the club to take out the trash as needs doing occasionally

Making foreign players feel comfortable, settled and welcome when they arrive in Edinburgh is going to be hard enough even if it's not being sabotaged by arseholery

10 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

Saulius Mikoliunas. 

It was Scottish societal racism rather than a couple of fat old bald men, but still

Interesting topic - in terms of the thread, theres been some poor contributions from the usual suspects and some I would've expected much  better from. Whatever any supporter thinks of Isma as a player, its shocking to think in this day and age he should be subjected to that kind of disgusting personal abuse. However, im not surprised.

Ive been watching hearts since the early 80s and racist, bigoted chants were always heard on a weekly basis. I'm ashamed to say I would join in. Back then it was tolerated as being a daft laddie. Since then, every board has done their bit to try and eradicate these "behaviours" to make a more welcoming experience for all, which some would say to the detriment of the atmosphere. Credit to Ann Budge for her reaction. This new proposed singing section will no doubt regurgitate the same old debate. The "traditional" song book may be getting smaller, but the individual shouts will occasionally be heard. Worryingly, at the away games I would say its more of a problem. Theres a younger group trying to create an atmosphere, but you can see the direction in which the older folk are trying to direct them.

Which brings me to JT'S great point about societal racism,  how many folk do you know that still say they have a "chinky for tea" or "nip to the paki shop?" 

Scotland portrays itself as a tolerant society, Isma's bravery in speaking out highlights our societies tolerance of lazy, bigoted terms.

Education, by pointing out someones ignorance, is the key, then tolerating being "daft young laddies" or "thats the way I was brought up" will be a thing of the past.

12 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Seeing as Isma previously played for the world's most racist club ( (c) Ruud Gullit) that's quite an achievement.

Are you trying to claim racist Hearts fans couldn't have forced Goncalves out the club, because he's already suffered worse elsewhere? 

31 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Which brings me to JT'S great point about societal racism,  how many folk do you know that still say they have a "chinky for tea" or "nip to the paki shop?" 

Haven't heard those expressions for years TBH.

Interesting topic - in terms of the thread, theres been some poor contributions from the usual suspects and some I would've expected much  better from. Whatever any supporter thinks of Isma as a player, its shocking to think in this day and age he should be subjected to that kind of disgusting personal abuse. However, im not surprised.
Ive been watching hearts since the early 80s and racist, bigoted chants were always heard on a weekly basis. I'm ashamed to say I would join in. Back then it was tolerated as being a daft laddie. Since then, every board has done their bit to try and eradicate these "behaviours" to make a more welcoming experience for all, which some would say to the detriment of the atmosphere. Credit to Ann Budge for her reaction. This new proposed singing section will no doubt regurgitate the same old debate. The "traditional" song book may be getting smaller, but the individual shouts will occasionally be heard. Worryingly, at the away games I would say its more of a problem. Theres a younger group trying to create an atmosphere, but you can see the direction in which the older folk are trying to direct them.
Scotland portrays itself as a tolerant society, Isma's bravery in speaking out highlights our societies tolerance of lazy, bigoted terms.
Education, by pointing out someones ignorance, is the key, then tolerating being "daft young laddies" or "thats the way I was brought up" will be a thing of the past.

To be fair I also joined in, and even started, the Rudi Skacel and Wallace Mercer songs in the past although I’d never let myself down by singing them now. I couldn’t complain after the stewards rightly ejected me from the stadium....I even missed Oli Shaws phantom goal.

There is no way racism is just a problem for Hearts, pathetic to see attempts at point-scoring on this.

Glad Isma spoke out, hope that Hearts (and everyone else, fans included) increase efforts to stamp this shit out.

ETA: Great to see Hearts tackling this head-on, with Levein's comments particularly impressive.

Edited by dingdong1929

Hadn't heard about this story until I flicked onto the BBC Sport page and read Levein's comments. I'm no great fan of Levein but I was quite impressed with his statement. There certainly doesn't appear to be any attempt from Hearts to sweep this under the carpet and to be honest I wouldn't have expected any different. 

Sadly racists are still all too common in society and by extension they are going to be found inside football stadiums. Perhaps the bigger the crowd they are in then the greater degree of anonimity (spelling?) they are given or feel they have. I've personally haven't heard a racist remark at Firhill for many a year but I would be naive in the extreme to believe that nobody that watches Thistle holds racist views. This issue may have been flagged up at Tynecastle/Hearts but it is an issue of concern for all right minded people.

Incidentally using it in an exercise of point scoring isn't the action of a right minded individual. To trivialise the issue, which is essentially what they are doing by using it in such a fashion, is utterly deplorable. 

Edited by John MacLean

9 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Hadn't heard about this story until I flicked onto the BBC Sport page and read Levein's comments. I'm no great fan of Levein but I was quite impressed with his statement. There certainly doesn't appear to be any attempt from Hearts to sweep this under the carpet and to be honest I wouldn't have expected any different. 

Sadly racists are still all too common in society and by extension they are going to be found inside football stadiums. Perhaps the bigger the crowd they are in then the greater degree of anonimity (spelling?) they are given or feel they have. I've personally haven't heard a racist remark at Firhill for many a year but I would be naive in the extreme to believe that nobody that watches Thistle holds racist views. This issue may have been flagged up at Tynecastle/Hearts but it is an issue of concern for all right minded people.

Incidentally using it in an exercise of point scoring isn't the action of a right minded individual. To trivialise the issue, which is essentially what they are doing by using it in such a fashion, is utterly deplorable. 

Well said.

You can always rely on a Partick fan for a measured and sensible response. 

8 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

While I find this statement laudable, you're railing against human nature.
Pretty much any time one of us mentions, for example, the behaviour of OF fans, and their chanting (and I include my own comments in this), there is an element of point scoring going on. No-one is altruistically mentioning it solely because we want a more inclusive better society. That's not to say I don't want a better society - I do -  but I'm honest enough with myself to acknowledge that it doesn't upset me to point out the failings of others. at the same time.

People are naturally tribal and prone to schadenfreude. We have occasional moments of greater civility thrown in there too, but there's always the point-and-laugh instinct bubbling under the surface.

9 minutes ago, milton75 said:

While I find this statement laudable, you're railing against human nature.
Pretty much any time one of us mentions, for example, the behaviour of OF fans, and their chanting (and I include my own comments in this), there is an element of point scoring going on. No-one is altruistically mentioning it solely because we want a more inclusive better society. That's not to say I don't want a better society - I do -  but I'm honest enough with myself to acknowledge that it doesn't upset me to point out the failings of others. at the same time.

People are naturally tribal and prone to schadenfreude. We have occasional moments of greater civility thrown in there too, but there's always the point-and-laugh instinct bubbling under the surface.

Fair points. 

I'd argue that the main difference between what has happened here at Hearts and the OF is that  what has happened at Hearts is perhaps reflective of society as a whole  i.e. if racists exist then they are going to find their way to football grounds and give voice to their racist views. The football ground just happens to be the venue. It could just as easily have been the pub or the workplace. 

For some, and I'd argue quite a considerable number, certain football stadiums in Glasgow are places they actively go to give voice to their views i.e. I'm a bigot and this is a safe environment to give a voice to my bigotry. Indeed it may even be encouraged and supported by my immediate peers around me. 

That might make sense I don't know. It does in my head anyway.