Heart of Midlothian 2014-

3 hours ago, The Master said:

I was pointed to this thread from the Dundee one where we were informed that RandomGuy was talking shite.

He is. On more than one count. 

The angle isn't the best, but I'm going to say offside - and this frame (from YouTube) gives the attacker the benefit of the doubt because he's further forward in the next one.

Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 08.33.10.png

What is that middle perspective line trying to show? As far as I can tell, it's saying nothing at all. The ball is what's playing the attacker onside, if anything, and the perspective line isn't going through the ball and it's going through the attacker's arse, which is a couple of feet off the ground. The perspective lines from the pitch markings don't work when trying to compare objects at different heights (e.g. you can put an Accies player standing bolt upright in a clearly onside position in the penalty box semicircle where the same perspective line goes through his arse too).

Draw the perspective line through the ball and see what happens.

Edited by Aim Here

12 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

What is that middle perspective line trying to show? As far as I can tell, it's saying nothing at all. The ball is what's playing the attacker onside, if anything, and the perspective line isn't going through the ball and it's going through the attacker's arse, which is a couple of feet off the ground. The perspective lines from the pitch markings don't work when trying to compare objects at different heights (e.g. you can put an Accies player standing bolt upright in a clearly onside position in the penalty box semicircle where the same perspective line goes through his arse too).

Draw the perspective line through the ball and see what happens.

There's no need to put a line through the ball if the ball (and the 2nd last defender) are clearly behind the line on the attacker. 

The current line is drawn on top of the attacker's left knee which protrudes just far enough in front of his body to be able to see it. Here's the original screenshot I used.

Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 08.30.10.png

Why do people keep posting a picture of the Hamilton player in a blatantly offside position as evidence he's not offside?
And being 'in the box' has nowt to do with the offside rule that I know of.
How come you haven't asked how a striker who is clearly running manages to "remain in virtually the same position "?

1 hour ago, The Master said:

There's no need to put a line through the ball if the ball (and the 2nd last defender) are clearly behind the line on the attacker. 

The current line is drawn on top of the attacker's left knee which protrudes just far enough in front of his body to be able to see it. Here's the original screenshot I used.

Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 08.30.10.png

The attacker's left knee is clearly high off the ground and therefore it's misleading and wrong to compare a perspective line directly through it with the two from the lines on the pitch,  just as it's wrong to draw one through his arse. The correct point for a perspective analysis of the type you're suggesting would be the point on the ground surface which is directly below the knee, and it's not immediately obvious exactly where that is or which side of the perspective line going through the ball (technically, the point where the ball touches the ground) it would happen to be. You would have to invoke some biomechanics, the frustrum dimensions of the Sky Sports television camera's field of view and the dick-to-floor measurement of the Accies player in question to get a reasonable estimate.

Your methodology of choosing any old point on the attacker's body and drawing the perspective line straight through it, regardless of whether it's on the ground would also apply to the attacker's head, which, by your method and the laws of the game, would be even more offside, and even you would have to accept that as absurd.

Edited by Aim Here

10 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

Great stuff lads, it's no as it reading about Hearts didn't already make me want to kill myself

You guys won't be needing the Premiership team thread much longer, so we might as well make use of it for teaching the finer points of 3D perspective geometry and the offside rule.

Edited by Aim Here

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

The attacker's left knee is clearly high off the ground and therefore it's misleading and wrong to compare a perspective line directly through it with the two from the lines on the pitch,  just as it's wrong to draw one through his arse. The correct point for a perspective analysis of the type you're suggesting would be the point on the ground surface which is directly below the knee, and it's not immediately obvious exactly where that is or which side of the perspective line going through the ball (technically, the point where the ball touches the ground) it would happen to be. You would have to invoke some biomechanics, the frustrum dimensions of the Sky Sports television camera's field of view and the dick-to-floor measurement of the Accies player in question to get a reasonable estimate.

Your methodology of choosing any old point on the attacker's body and drawing the perspective line straight through it, regardless of whether it's on the ground would also apply to the attacker's head, which, by your method and the laws of the game, would be even more offside, and even you would have to accept that as absurd.

You do realise I'm not pretending to be Hawkeye or anything and was really just trying to show precisely how much of an arse @RandomGuy was being in this thread?

In the absence of an angle from the 18 yard line, it's impossible to draw any concrete conclusions. You make do with what's available.

Edited by The Master

21 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If hes behind his team mate when the balls passed, and it still hadnt been passed in that still, then hes onside.

Eh yes.  And since he isn't behind his team mate when the ball is passed, he's offside.  Your insistence that he is offisde, in the face of actual evidence otherwise is pretty baflfing, tbh.

41 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Eh yes.  And since he isn't behind his team mate when the ball is passed, he's offside.  Your insistence that he is offisde, in the face of actual evidence otherwise is pretty baflfing, tbh.

Being behind your teammate is irrelevant - it's whether you're behind the ball.

4 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

There is a maroon sock sticking out and that is stuck to a football boot which is the last to touch the ball before reaching the man in the middle.

:lol:

Its amazing folk who follow football for years and years don't know the offside rule.

On 01/03/2020 at 09:24, topcat(The most tip top) said:

So that reported major dressing room fall out seems to have worked wonders.

The squad should fall out more often

I suggest they play Monopoly after training

That perfectly marshalled back line really made Stendel's training methods look silly.