Heart of Midlothian 2014-

I mentioned in another thread I rate Smith higher than Walker so more gutted at this. Has everything that Walker does IMO but with a greater physicality about himself rather than chucking himself to the floor, suppose if El Hass is about ready to start playing he'll be competing with Walker for that spot. Still seems harsh on Smith.

Make sure you don't voice that opinion on Kickback unless you want to be accused of "drivel" and "absolute nonsense".

:thumbsdown

I trust the management team on this one although I agree with the above about Smith being of a similar standard to Walker. There's something about Walker that I just don't like though. His attitude is questionable.

Losing Robinson leaves us short in the middle. I don't think it's Holt's game to be throwing himself into tackles and with Gomis picking up a yellow in every game so far it's only a matter of time before suspensions begin.

I've always rated Robinson. He suffered the last few years because of mcglynn/lockes style of play. Ironic now hearts are playing with a more patient passing game which would suit him, he gets bombed.

Every time I've seen him at tynie he got stick from the fans. Could be his attitude or could be the fact half the supporters are arseholes. Either way I'm sure he won't be too gutted to be going

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNmpUcjigg

I know I'll probably get the "flashes of brilliance" type responses but that's more than we've seen from David Smith. He has flaws in his game; he can be too greedy, he often makes the wrong decision and he doesn't contribute defensively, but these are all things that can be worked on and, in terms of raw talent, he's way ahead of Smith IMO. I'd also point out that his biggest run of games came when we were on that terrible run of form last season, and he was consistently the only player who looked like he could turn the game for us. I'd be interested to see how he does in a winning team under a proper coach.

Edited by DC92

I dunno if I haven't seen enough of him but I don't get the hype around Walker? Smith's impressed when I've seen him play though.

He's far better than Smith. On his game his direct running and shots from outside the box will cause bother for any fullback. If he screwed the nut a tad more he'd be a cracking player.

Has there actually been an official announcement about Robinson and Smith yet?

I wouldn't expect anything official. Not really the kind of thing clubs like to announce and in general since the new regime cards have been kept close to chests anyway in terms of transfer business.

Robbie explains the situation re Robinson and Smith: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-won-t-force-david-smith-and-scott-robinson-out-1-3523153

Hearts head coach Robbie Neilson insists Scott Robinson and David Smith are welcome to remain at Tynecastle despite being told they are free to find to new clubs.

Explaining the club’s decision to make both players available on free transfers, Neilson said he cannot guarantee them regular first-team football. As revealed in Tuesday’s Evening News, they are surplus to requirements and can leave if they find a new team before the transfer window closes on Monday night.

Kilmarnock are interested in taking Robinson, known to his team-mates as ‘Pum’, to Rugby Park, whilst Raith Rovers are thought to be keen on Smith. Robinson played under Kilmarnock’s assistant manager Gary Locke at Hearts last season but any move for the midfielder may be delayed until January due to budget constraints at the Ayrshire club.

Neilson maintained he has no problem with Robinson or Smith staying until their contracts expire at the end of the season. Hearts expect approaches for both players but they could choose to remain part of the squad at Tynecastle if no suitable offer arrives.

“The two of them are good players, I’ve said that to them all along,” Neilson told the Evening News. “They are two guys who want to play first-team football every week and they might not get that opportunity here. We have other guys who are playing at the moment and I just wanted to be honest with them.

“You have to be straight down the middle with players and let them understand the situation. If they don’t move on and find another club where they’re going to play, then I’m more than happy to have them here. In training they’re great and they’re great to have about the place. You saw when they came in and played against Stenhousemuir that they work hard.

David did well with the ball in for the first goal and Scott works extremely hard in midfield. It’s the nature of football that guys want to play every week and if you aren’t going to play then sometimes you’re better to go and find a club where you can do that. I’m sure there will be a lot of teams after them.”

So effectively we'll not stand in their way if they can get a move as we can't guarantee them first team starts. Fair enough, makes it a bit different from actively trying to move them on which is how Banderson was spinning it on Tuesday.

Still think we should be keeping Robinson for cover anyway.

So, it's basically that both Robinson and Smith want to play, but Robbie can't guarantee that they'll feature often enough, so he's offering them the chance to move on, if they can find another club.

I suspect it could also be about keeping the wage bill down, but that's pure speculation on my part.

For what it's worth, I'd rather keep the pair of them - Robinson is fourth in line behind Gomis, Holt, and Buaben, and Smith is fourth choice after Nicholson, King, and Walker, but, as we've already seen this season, there will be injuries and suspensions that require cover. Smith can also play through the middle, but will be behind Sow, Keatings, Oliver, Carrick, and El Hassnaoui.

Folk are saying that the likes of Flanagan and McKirdy should be developed and pushed on, but I'm not convinced that they're ready for that - Beith and Liam Smith might be closer to being up to it, but even that's far from certain. Mind you, we've already seen Alastair Roy play this season, so who knows?

Robbie explains the situation re Robinson and Smith: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-won-t-force-david-smith-and-scott-robinson-out-1-3523153

Hearts head coach Robbie Neilson insists Scott Robinson and David Smith are welcome to remain at Tynecastle despite being told they are free to find to new clubs.

Explaining the club’s decision to make both players available on free transfers, Neilson said he cannot guarantee them regular first-team football. As revealed in Tuesday’s Evening News, they are surplus to requirements and can leave if they find a new team before the transfer window closes on Monday night.

Kilmarnock are interested in taking Robinson, known to his team-mates as ‘Pum’, to Rugby Park, whilst Raith Rovers are thought to be keen on Smith. Robinson played under Kilmarnock’s assistant manager Gary Locke at Hearts last season but any move for the midfielder may be delayed until January due to budget constraints at the Ayrshire club.

Neilson maintained he has no problem with Robinson or Smith staying until their contracts expire at the end of the season. Hearts expect approaches for both players but they could choose to remain part of the squad at Tynecastle if no suitable offer arrives.

“The two of them are good players, I’ve said that to them all along,” Neilson told the Evening News. “They are two guys who want to play first-team football every week and they might not get that opportunity here. We have other guys who are playing at the moment and I just wanted to be honest with them.

“You have to be straight down the middle with players and let them understand the situation. If they don’t move on and find another club where they’re going to play, then I’m more than happy to have them here. In training they’re great and they’re great to have about the place. You saw when they came in and played against Stenhousemuir that they work hard.

David did well with the ball in for the first goal and Scott works extremely hard in midfield. It’s the nature of football that guys want to play every week and if you aren’t going to play then sometimes you’re better to go and find a club where you can do that. I’m sure there will be a lot of teams after them.”

Did he not chuck the toys out the pram because Hoof hoof Locke kept dropping/subbing him.

So, it's basically that both Robinson and Smith want to play, but Robbie can't guarantee that they'll feature often enough, so he's offering them the chance to move on, if they can find another club.

I suspect it could also be about keeping the wage bill down, but that's pure speculation on my part.

For what it's worth, I'd rather keep the pair of them - Robinson is fourth in line behind Gomis, Holt, and Buaben, and Smith is fourth choice after Nicholson, King, and Walker, but, as we've already seen this season, there will be injuries and suspensions that require cover. Smith can also play through the middle, but will be behind Sow, Keatings, Oliver, Carrick, and El Hassnaoui.

Folk are saying that the likes of Flanagan and McKirdy should be developed and pushed on, but I'm not convinced that they're ready for that - Beith and Liam Smith might be closer to being up to it, but even that's far from certain. Mind you, we've already seen Alastair Roy play this season, so who knows?

As mcu as I'd like to see Holt keep playing, I'd rather we used him deeper as part of a double pivot and kept two upfront, as we are a lot more direct and clinical up top. Against Hibs, you just had to see the difference it made when Oliver came on. Having all three in the middle against Rangers would be the exception however.

If we were in the SPFL, I'd would agree with you there, but I would say that if these youngsters are not good enough to be squad players in the Championship, the chances are they probably won't be good enough for us at all.

Edited by the jambo-rocker