Heart of Midlothian 2014-

Shame the Cathro appointment never worked out and still think it was a gamble worth taking.  If Boyd et al had simply said it's a gamble they felt wouldn't work out then fair enough, but he had a go at him personally and dismissed modern methodology because it was something he wasn't used to seeing.  Just because Cathro never worked out doesn't mean people with no playing background can't manage, it's the same argument when the Scotland job comes up that we shouldn't go for a foreigner because Vogts was a disaster.

Some of the shouts for the new manager are woeful.  I hope we go for someone who isn't an ex-Hearts player tbh, sick of ending up annoyed at people I once liked.  I'd like to see Archibald but not sure if he'll even be in the running.

Boyd's prediction would look smarter if he hadn't shown his working

I suspect that we may well bring in someone from Continental Europe that we've never heard of rather than the names that are being bandied around here.

The long term objective is supposedly to play modern, European football in the somewhat brutish environment of the SPFL

The most recent attempt failed but I doubt we're going to give up on that ambition just yet

What kind of bent over backwards logic is this? You don't want Hearts to go for Hartley because he'd improve Hearts but you'd be happy for Tommy Wright - who's a much better manager than Hartley - to go there? [emoji38] 

Tommy Wright is a Stuart McCall/Terry Butcher style manager in that he's found his fit and is a very, very good manager at the club he's at but I reckon as soon as he leaves St Johnstone he will flop. Hearts fans won't tolerate his dreadful style of football either.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tommy Wright is a Stuart McCall/Terry Butcher style manager in that he's found his fit and is a very, very good manager at the club he's at but I reckon as soon as he leaves St Johnstone he will flop. Hearts fans won't tolerate his dreadful style of football either.

Paul Hartley's long ball to a big target man style is extremely attractive right enough. 

Paul Hartley's long ball to a big target man style is extremely attractive right enough. 

Hartley done that out of necessity. His style with us for the majority of his time with us was a swashbuckling, free-living attacking team. He just floundered towards the end.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's an opinion thought that I've had in mind for a couple of years now. St Johnstone have had a succession of good managers (Coyle, McInnes, Lomas) who have had rather a mixed record since leaving Perth. Is there something in the set up at St Johnstone that allows a manager to flourish?

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hartley done that out of necessity. His style with us for the majority of his time with us was a swashbuckling, free-living attacking team. He just floundered towards the end.

Yet our dreadful style of football still resulted in more goals for us and marginally less against in comparison to Dundee the season before as well, and that's with Dundee having 2 POTY nominees in their side.

Hartley was and is a shite manager. He rage quit at Alloa after a home horsing against Dumbarton, took Dundee forwards to begin with before dragging backwards within a couple of years and ended up getting sacked there. If he gets the Hearts job, it's the very definition of falling upwards.

Edited by Kyle

Yet our dreadful style of football still resulted in more goals for us and marginally less against in comparison to Dundee the season before as well, and that's with Dundee having 2 POTY nominees in their side.
Hartley was and is a shite manager. He rage quit at Alloa after a home horsing against Dumbarton, took Dundee forwards to begin with before dragging backwards within a couple of years and ended up getting sacked there. If he gets the Hearts job, it's the very definition of falling upwards.

What's that got to do with my original post? Yes, he will be falling upwards and doesn't necessarily deserve the job but that doesn't take away from the fact I think he'd do well for Hearts.

The assertion that he's a poor manager is a ridiculous one. He had continual success until last season.

That's an opinion thought that I've had in mind for a couple of years now. St Johnstone have had a succession of good managers (Coyle, McInnes, Lomas) who have had rather a mixed record since leaving Perth. Is there something in the set up at St Johnstone that allows a manager to flourish?

They are similar to Southampton in England, constantly seem to over achieve despite having players and managers stripped from them. Lot of praise has to go to those on the board in Perth.

Unfortunately Cathro will probably now become the Berti Vogts of Scottish club football...'We can't go down the fresh approach route. Don't forget what happened with Ian Cathro. We'd be better giving Sandy Clark/Barry Ferguson/Maurice Malpas the job'.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's that got to do with my original post? Yes, he will be falling upwards and doesn't necessarily deserve the job but that doesn't take away from the fact I think he'd do well for Hearts.

The assertion that he's a poor manager is a ridiculous one. He had continual success until last season.

I'm not sure that finishing bottom 6 with a top 6 budget and failing miserably in the cups can be considered successful to be honest. I suppose he did fluke a top 6 in his first season up with Dundee, and he kept a Dundee side at the top of the championship on course to win it, so there is that. 

Having worked with Levein before, Hartley will be one of the candidates I don't doubt. The fact he's more than happy to persist with hoofball if necessary aligns with Levein's squad and it certainly looks a better fit than Cathro ever did. I'm not sure that Hartley is enough of a yes man in the long term though, so we'll see how long that working relationship lasts if he does get the job.

32 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Shame the Cathro appointment never worked out and still think it was a gamble worth taking.  If Boyd et al had simply said it's a gamble they felt wouldn't work out then fair enough, but he had a go at him personally and dismissed modern methodology because it was something he wasn't used to seeing.  Just because Cathro never worked out doesn't mean people with no playing background can't manage, it's the same argument when the Scotland job comes up that we shouldn't go for a foreigner because Vogts was a disaster.

Some of the shouts for the new manager are woeful.  I hope we go for someone who isn't an ex-Hearts player tbh, sick of ending up annoyed at people I once liked.  I'd like to see Archibald but not sure if he'll even be in the running.

Good shout Cathro did deserve the chance, he's clearly a knowledgeable coach, but just isn't up to the job of being a manager. It's just disappointing for everyone else that Hearts didn't stick with him for a little bit longer, as his tenure has been thoroughly entertaining for the rest of Scottish football. Seriously, it's been good to hear some in-depth chat of a team that aren't Celtic or Rangers, and Cathro/Hearts have been good for that.

Hope you don't go for either Wright or Archibald, but just about anyone has to be an improvement on Cathro.