Scotland and Ireland UEFA Euro 2024

lionel hutz

We should be going for the European under 21's and spreading it around the country in grounds in the 6000-20000 bracket.

• Kilmarnock
  • Inverness or Ross County
  • Aberdeen
  • Dundee or Dundee United (Dens park would need a massive refit)
  • Easter Road

Would personally prefer it more localised to the central belt

Hampden

Easter road

Fir park

Falkirk stadium

East End Park

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland cant do this, scotland would never be able to do this. scotlands to shit, scotlands to stupid. f**k OFF have confidence in you country ffs. Always the same people talking scotland down. I bet they will be voting no aswell? Because they think scotland couldn't survive without england. Get tae f**k.

Scotland cant do this, scotland would never be able to do this. scotlands to shit, scotlands to stupid. f**k OFF have confidence in you country ffs. Always the same people talking scotland down. I bet they will be voting no aswell? Because they think scotland couldn't survive without england. Get tae f**k.

I remember the first time I had a beer.

We would be perfectly placed to host the Euros U21s, particularly with it expanding to 12 nations from 2017.

Hampden

Easter Road

Pittodrie

Tannadice

Caledonian Stadium

Falkirk Stadium

would be 6 obvious choices for stadiums with modern facilities suitably spread about. In the case of the latter pair, you could also put up temporary stands down one side in the unlikely event their current capacities looked inadequate. We've also got the right sort of number of "quality" training centres for this.

Problem is I don't think the authorities - footballing and governmental - are interested in hosting anything other than a big ticket one. Which won't happen.

We should be going for the European under 21's and spreading it around the country in grounds in the 6000-20000 bracket.

• Kilmarnock
  • Inverness or Ross County
  • Aberdeen
  • Dundee or Dundee United (Dens park would need a massive refit)
  • Easter Road

Recreation Park :unsure2::huh:

Would Ireland's big GAA grounds be available? I thought they only allowed Croke Park to be used when Landsdowne Road was being rebuilt?

A Scotland/Wales joint bit might be better IMO.

That said, I'm not sure it's likely either way. Expect that Turkey have been told they have 2024 wrapped up or they wouldn't have withdrawn their bid to host the Semis/Final in 2020. By 2028, it's likely some of the big guns will have got pissed off with waiting forever for a shot at hosting the World Cup, and somebody like England, Spain or Italy will host it.

Would Ireland's big GAA grounds be available? I thought they only allowed Croke Park to be used when Landsdowne Road was being rebuilt?

A Scotland/Wales joint bit might be better IMO.

That said, I'm not sure it's likely either way. Expect that Turkey have been told they have 2024 wrapped up or they wouldn't have withdrawn their bid to host the Semis/Final in 2020. By 2028, it's likely some of the big guns will have got pissed off with waiting forever for a shot at hosting the World Cup, and somebody like England, Spain or Italy will host it.

The Irish GAA grounds provide the necessary geographical spread. Wales would really only have two cities that can host matches, so fans in both host countries would be very concentrated. 2024 is almost definitely going to Turkey, but it seems chances of success increase after a couple of failed bids. Turkey lost the 2016 bid with the margin of one vote, which apparently has contributed to making them favorites for 2024. So Scotland and Ireland should get their bid in early on in order to build credit.

Here it says Estonia is considering a joined bid with Russia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024

This appears odd as Russia can surely host it by themselves. Yet if this is considered as a serious option, an England-Scotland bid would be equally possible.

The Irish GAA grounds provide the necessary geographical spread. Wales would really only have two cities that can host matches, so fans in both host countries would be very concentrated. 2024 is almost definitely going to Turkey, but it seems chances of success increase after a couple of failed bids. Turkey lost the 2016 bid with the margin of one vote, which apparently has contributed to making them favorites for 2024. So Scotland and Ireland should get their bid in early on in order to build credit.

Here it says Estonia is considering a joined bid with Russia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024

This appears odd as Russia can surely host it by themselves. Yet if this is considered as a serious option, an England-Scotland bid would be equally possible.

I was reading about the Estonia-Russia bid the other day and found it very bizarre considering that Russia can host themselves and are hosting the world cup just 6 years earlier.

My guess, and it's just a theory, is that their idea is that it's an "Estonian" bid with a little bit of help from Russia, rather than a joint bid. I'd guess Estonia would be the "home" of the tournament, getting the opening game and the final and all the media festivities, the Russians could throw in a handful of stadia and some money to help their neighbours out and in return they'd qualify automatically as co-hosts. In theory this arrangement could work with Scotland-England

Hampden, Parkhead, Ibrox (I'd imagine that if 2022 Qatar is a success, then the "3 stadiums 1 city" rule will go)

Murrayfield

Dundee

Aberdeen

St James's park

Old Trafford

Anfield/new Liverpool stadium

Scotland would get to host all the "good stuff", and in general it would be a Scottish tournament, but with the English pitching in a little help to thrust us past the quota and in return getting automatic qualification as co-hosts

Could we not get away with a joint, Scotland / North of England bid?

Yeah maybe, but England wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Stand-alone bids are generally looked upon more favourably than co-hosting efforts and, as England could easily host it themselves, there would be no point in them inviting Scotland to join them.

So the only obstacle for a Scotland-Ireland bid is that there are no 30.000+ stadiums in Dundee and Aberdeen and there seems little use for those after the tournament?

Ireland has the stadiums if they upgrade the GAA grounds to make them suitable to UEFA regulations. (making them temporarily all-seater stadiums) Surely those sentiments that "foreign sports" cannot be played at GAA venues are gone by now? It will be great publicity for the GAA as people will wonder why Ireland has all those sizable stadiums. For the same reason I would also use Croke Park, so Dublin and Glasgow would both have two stadiums.

Scotland and Ireland will be very popular hosts. Abroad, Scotland and Ireland are perceived as beautiful and welcoming countries. Foreign fans will travel in large numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Ireland_by_capacity

Ireland has 12 stadiums over 30000. Only three of them are either all-seaters (Aviva, McHale) or have enough seats that the terracing areas can just be cordened off (Croke), but surely another 3 could be upgraded.

4 stadiums in Scotland are big enough, so 2 would need to be upgraded or built. Dundee and Aberdeen seem like clear choices.

Could we not get away with a joint, Scotland / North of England bid?

To be honest, that's the best we can hope for, and that's an absolutely enormous outside bet. A UK-wide bid.

Good for Wales/Ireland/Scotland, but like Bully Wee says, England would barely even give it the light of day. They could easily hold it themselves at short notice (cliche I know, but you know what I mean) and don't need a neighbour to go halfers.

Still, that kind of thing is probably the best shot. They may be more likely to plump for a joint bid if it was a whole of the UK kind of thing, including England. Probably not so much if it's Scotland and one other that isn't England.

let's face it though, we're not going to get a major tournament in any guise. We should aim for smaller tournaments, some of the age group ones, and keep putting forward Hampden for the big European finals. If they go well, then maybe sometime in future things align and we have a shot, but it's unlikely.

To be honest, that's the best we can hope for, and that's an absolutely enormous outside bet. A UK-wide bid.

Still, that kind of thing is probably the best shot. They may be more likely to plump for a joint bid if it was a whole of the UK kind of thing, including England. Probably not so much if it's Scotland and one other that isn't England.

A UK-wide bid would mean that 4 nations qualify automatically, including Wales and Northern Ireland. The UEFA would never allow so many spots to be taken by teams that otherwise probably would have failed to qualify, and rightly so.

A UK-wide bid would mean that 4 nations qualify automatically, including Wales and Northern Ireland. The UEFA would never allow so many spots to be taken by teams that otherwise probably would have failed to qualify, and rightly so.

Or it could be an England led bid with matches played in various regions of the UK.
A group in Scotland split between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
A group split between Wales an Ireland with a knockout match in each of the three countries. Two groups, one quarter and Semi-finals & final in England.
We're getting the games but they're the primary host for all other reasons.

Love it. Hiya England, we want to be independent but can you help us with a bid to host the Euros?

Don't think so. It'll be quite something if we ever host or co-host a major tournament.

Japan and Korea managed to co host the World Cup so I fail to see your point.

Archived