Manchester United 14/15 thread

Rafael will definitely start ahead of Valencia once fully fit.

It'll probably depend on the opposition tbh.

Anyway if they do sign De Jong aswell as Rojo and Di Maria, then they should improve. These three players all know the 3-5-2 system and can play in it, the players in the squad just now look completely clueless about what they're actually meant to be doing

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's bizarre about it? Looks to be a very good player.

He'd be signed as back up, unless they plan on using him in the centre of either defence or midfield, both of which he's nothing special in. Far better players out there who'd actually be useful and would cost around the same

He'd be signed as back up, unless they plan on using him in the centre of either defence or midfield, both of which he's nothing special in. Far better players out there who'd actually be useful and would cost around the same

Interesting. Care to name these far better players?

Interesting. Care to name these far better players?

Fazio for one, at half the price of Blind and is actually a natural centre half who can play in a 3-5-2

If United don't sign a decent Centre back then all this is a waste of time.

Every good Man Utd team has had a world class CB in it e.g. Stam 98/99, Ferdinand 02/03, Vidic 07,08,09 titles. The trophyless/Carling cup years were when there were diddies like Wes Brown, a finished Blanc, Silvestre etc.

Di Maria might get 4th place but Jones and Smalling have proved time an time again they ain't good enough.
Evans has actually came on leaps an bounds the last 3 or 4 seasons tbf.

As brilliant as Sir Alex was, what a mess he left them in. Buying RVP to win one final league title could have actually been terrible long term decision!

Fazio for one, at half the price of Blind and is actually a natural centre half who can play in a 3-5-2

I got him sent off playing FIFA the other day so it's a no from me. I can't tolerate that kind of ill discipline im my team.

If United don't sign a decent Centre back then all this is a waste of time.

Every good Man Utd team has had a world class CB in it e.g. Stam 98/99, Ferdinand 02/03, Vidic 07,08,09 titles. The trophyless/Carling cup years were when there were diddies like Wes Brown, a finished Blanc, Silvestre etc.

Di Maria might get 4th place but Jones and Smalling have proved time an time again they ain't good enough.

Evans has actually came on leaps an bounds the last 3 or 4 seasons tbf.

As brilliant as Sir Alex was, what a mess he left them in. Buying RVP to win one final league title could have actually been terrible long term decision!

Can't argue with that.

They need a Central Defender, Jones and Smalling dont cut it and Evans isnt half the player required.

There are so many players in that squad who dont measure up to United class, Jones, Smalling, Cleverley, Valencia, spring to mind right away.

I would have added, Buttner, the brazilian twins, Nani, and Anderson. How Fergie allowed that squad to develop is beyond me. With the only quality players, Mata, Rooney and Van Persie, forming a wee triangle up front it's obvious where recruitment is needed most.

How Fergie allowed that squad to develop is beyond me.

The guy who was a Sergio Aguero bawhair away from winning 6 of his last 7 Premiership seasons and won it at a canter in his last season with the same squad? I think Ferguson knew what the fcuk he was doing tbh, his mistake was probably under-appreciating the relative black hole of coaching/backroom talent that would take over and be unable to follow his lead.

The guy who was a Sergio Aguero bawhair away from winning 6 of his last 7 Premiership seasons and won it at a canter in his last season with the same squad? I think Ferguson knew what the fcuk he was doing tbh, his mistake was probably under-appreciating the relative black hole of coaching/backroom talent that would take over and be unable to follow his lead.

Bingo

Almost all of the football world outside of OT watched in amazement as Fergie took his bunch of distinctly average players to title wins wondering how it was happening. The answer that it was down to Fergie was blatantly obvious to everyone. That United didn't recognise this and plan accordingly is beyond belief and they're paying for it now.

I'm damned sure Fergie knew it too. His appeal to the fans at his last game at OT for them to stand by Moyes and give him time just like he was given when he took over and rebuilt the club can be looked on in a different light with hindsight. If he was handing over a great champions side that could continue to dominate English football, why would the new manager need the patience of the fans? He wouldn't. He should have more or less been keeping it ticking over. Different if the teams key element is missing though and it needs rebuilding as its not good enough without him. The fans would need to be patient then. So Fergie asked them to be as he knew it would be needed.

United as a whole have fucked up big time. No global business of their size would let the main man go whenever he wanted with relatively little notice. They wouldn't let him pick his successor. They wouldn't let the second most important person, Gill, go at the same time. There was no succession planning on and off the pitch and it has really shown ever since. OT was full of top football and business minds yet that they let this happen is astounding. It adds a whole new meaning to complacency.

That's one nomination. Next.

Toby Alderweireld, apparently available on loan or for around £6m. Better centre half than anything they have currently

To put it another way, they could've spent £29 million and had a back three of

Alderweireld - Fazio - Vermaelen

Then you have Rojo for £16m and Cuadrado for £30m for your wing backs. That would be £75m. This Summer they've spent £72m on Shaw, Rojo and Herrera.

£30m for Fabregas, Khedira for a reported £12m.

End up with a team of

De Gea

Alderweireld - Fazio - Vermaelen

Cuadrado --------------------------------------- Rojo

Fabregas - Khedira

Mata

RVP - Rooney

For £117m. They've now spent £132m and have nowhere near as strong a squad as that. I'm not saying it would've worked, but all those players were/are available, and all the prices are the ones they went for or are the widely rumoured fees. Van Gaals policy is bizarre, and the pursuit of Blind is typical of this.

Archived