Celtic European Campaign 2014-15

TheGreenMonster

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason Celtic have qualified is Craig Gordon. They have ridden their luck in almost every game in the group, and without Gordon papering over the many cracks in the team in most games, they would have been lucky to finish bottom of the group!

Shut up

Shut up

It is the unfortunate truth. This is as poor a Celtic team that I have seen in Europe in the 45 years I've been watching Scottish football teams in Europe.

Craig Gordon has single handedly (sp?) kept Celtic in many games this season in Europe. Just look at the number and quality of the saves he has made in almost every game.

TD

It is the unfortunate truth. This is as poor a Celtic team that I have seen in Europe in the 45 years I've been watching Scottish football teams in Europe.

Craig Gordon has single handedly (sp?) kept Celtic in many games this season in Europe. Just look at the number and quality of the saves he has made in almost every game.

TD

Currently playing about as well as they did during Lennon's first full season, with the hidings off Braga and Utrecht. The defences looked equally competent and alert during both campaigns.

TD

Did every game finish 0-0?

he's been brilliant but not the only reason we've qualified.

Oh well another away disappointment for Celtic. Would have just edged the head2head on away goals so the table is about right.

They need a big slice of luck in the draw to have any chance of progressing any further in this season's competition.

TD

:rolleyes:

The only reason Celtic have qualified is Craig Gordon. They have ridden their luck in almost every game in the group, and without Gordon papering over the many cracks in the team in most games, they would have been lucky to finish bottom of the group!

Gordon has been phenomenal so far this season, I'd rate him as our best player, but to claim qualification is solely down to him is pushing it.

Oh well another away disappointment for Celtic. Would have just edged the head2head on away goals so the table is about right.

They need a big slice of luck in the draw to have any chance of progressing any further in this season's competition.

As much as I would love it, I would be very surprised if we were to go further than the last 32, especially with the fact we will be one of the unseeded teams.

I was impressed with tonights performance, defending was sloppy to say the least from both sides but overall I felt both teams gave a good account of themselves. Gordon was his usual best, was good to see a few of the young lads getting a game, and like someone said earlier, it could have been 6-6. An enjoyable game considering neither side had anything really to play for.

Gordon has been phenomenal so far this season, I'd rate him as our best player, but to claim qualification is solely down to him is pushing it.

depends on how you look at the competition celtic faced

both home and away against astra, gordon at times kept celtic in it, iirc at celtic park he made 2 or 3 good saves at 0-0 before celtic eventually stumbled over the line, now granted celtic had chances as well, but we are talking about astra here, they were supposedly the group whipping boys

and again iirc at home to zagreb gordon made about 4 or 5 saves over the course of the game to keep celtic in the lead

yeah the strikers did score (eventually) but more often than not celtic were sloppy both up front and at the back and gordon had to bail them out

maybe not the main reason celtic qualified but Gordon is certainly the biggest reason celtic got through

depends on how you look at the competition celtic faced

both home and away against astra, gordon at times kept celtic in it, iirc at celtic park he made 2 or 3 good saves at 0-0 before celtic eventually stumbled over the line, now granted celtic had chances as well, but we are talking about astra here, they were supposedly the group whipping boys

and again iirc at home to zagreb gordon made about 4 or 5 saves over the course of the game to keep celtic in the lead

yeah the strikers did score (eventually) but more often than not celtic were sloppy both up front and at the back and gordon had to bail them out

maybe not the main reason celtic qualified but Gordon is certainly the biggest reason celtic got through

He is the main reason, but not the only reason. That's my point.

He is the main reason, but not the only reason. That's my point.

I also think it's a specious argument to say that without player x then.....

Much as I'd have loved them to get papped oot of Europe 3x before Christmas, Gordon is Celtic's best bit of business since Larsson and if he's kept them in Europe and taken them to the top of the league then he's just doing what he was signed for.

I also think it's a specious argument to say that without player x then.....

Much as I'd have loved them to get papped oot of Europe 3x before Christmas, Gordon is Celtic's best bit of business since Larsson and if he's kept them in Europe and taken them to the top of the league then he's just doing what he was signed for.

Hard to argue with that. A free transfer that is every bit as good, probably even better, than the previous keeper we sold for ten million. Only recent player I think could rival that is Wanyama purely because he cost less than a million and was sold for around twelve.

Hard to argue with that. A free transfer that is every bit as good, probably even better, than the previous keeper we sold for ten million. Only recent player I think could rival that is Wanyama purely because he cost less than a million and was sold for around twelve.

Oh FFS can't you just argue with me? Some diddy will be along shortly to accuse us of having an OF love-fest!

Archived