Celtic European Campaign 2014-15

TheGreenMonster

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought it was a right good effort tonight. For the first half an hour I would say that we were the dominant team, we carried on the fast paced high pressing game we hit them with at Celtic Park and looked comfortable. The turning point was obviously the red card. The first yellow was an awful decision, for the second VVD shouldn't have found himself on the outside of their winger but I think it was as much a coming together as anything else and a second yellow was very harsh. After that point things got difficult but I still thought we pressed them well and played some nice stuff.

Sad to be out but if you'd have told me Inter would barely sneak past us at this stage after we got humped by Legia and lost to Maribor I'd have struggled to believe you. The improvement Ronny has made to our side since August has been fantastic, really looking forward to see what we can do in the remainder of the domestic campaign.

Decent effort by Celtic on the night but lucky to get this far after the Legia farce.

Have the team sheets been checked yet? 8)

It did cross my mind earlier in the week that Shaqiri/Podolski might have been cup tied, having played in Europe for other clubs. What's the legislation on that?

Albino Rover, on 26 Feb 2015 - 20:59, said:

It did cross my mind earlier in the week that Shaqiri/Podolski might have been cup tied, having played in Europe for other clubs. What's the legislation on that?

They said earlier that they could have one but not the other, and they picked Shaqiri.

Beating dross mid-table Italian sides like Inter at home should absolutely be seen as required for Celtic. Serie A is a dreadful standard, and Inter are having a rancid season.

However, given you have a comedy manager like Deila, I can see why a score draw, something which would have been seen as a terrible first leg result in the halcyon days of Gordon Strachan, would be seen as a success now.

Are you an idiot? Every single Serie A side would be a contender for league winner in Scotland with celtic and aberdeen having to settle for 20th place or so out of a 32 team league (if you combine the 2 leagues) and that would have been the case even in strachans time, O neil would have been different but he had big money to spend that Deila and Strachan haven't had. Deila has done great. You support rangers right, but there's no need to let that make you irrational, your team can't even beat raith in the cup with a budget not that much smaller than Celtic and you think the tic should be beating a rich team with a proud history from a league 10 places or more higher than the Scottish league.

The Portuguese league is the 5th best league in Europe statistically, the Italian is the 4th best league in Europe , the Scottish league is ranked 21st. You remind me of the wee fat guy who runs a mile in 11 minutes, then some ultra athletic guy runs a mind blowing 4.18 mile and the wee fat guy says "thats pure shite; the world record is 3.43" like the wee fat guy actually knows any one else in his entire town who can run a sub 4.30 mile let alone a 4.18 mile lol.

It's almost as though they're different games!

yeah for once they gave us a fair headline. Fact is every italian team has a similar or bigger budger than celtic, even the wee teams. though whilst sky pump a lot more money into itallian football its no where near the EPL beast. You add the wages of Celtic, Inter and Fiorentina together and you still don't have spurs wage and transfer fees yet spurs lose to fiorentina, a team with a smaller budget than Inter!

Didn't realise this was a 6pm kickoff.

Worked out well, watched the game in Milan and the red bin thieves go out on penalties then back home for last in the series of Death in Paradise.

No idea whodunnit btw.

BBC up to their amazing reporting standards...

F9R7C5q.jpg

Spurs should be beating Fiorentina based on both budget and league ranking, Inter should be beating fiorentina in italy based on budget and fanbase, celtic should be losing about 7-0 to teams like inter or fiorentina let alone teams with the budget of Tottenham hence only being edged out after 88 mins with 10 men is quite a valiant fight given the gap in resources. Like it or lump it Scotland is a wee country and no Scottish team will ever win any cups again in europe, any scottish team that gets so close to the last 16 of any European competition especially against teams like inter are doing well. Inter far greater than legia with salzburg somewhere in between. Villareal knocked salzburg out to overtake them as the most successful side in the europa cup this year from the teams that reached the group stages.

GMS is a cracking wee player, pity he's off

I agree, deilas only error today. Today was not deilas fault again, a combination of money disparity between the sides and a silly momemnt of madness from van djik was the difference between a defeat and possibly a win.

It was a yellow card all day long.

GIRUY though.

Why do you hate Celtic so much? Do you go about beating up Ulster Scots and people from the republic of Ireland? Just wondering why you hate Celtic and Rangers so much, I can find no other explanation.

Mackay-Steven has been their main attacking threat so far.

Surely they'd have been better off putting him through the middle and taking off Guidetti?

Just what I wanted. Deila had been doing my bidding lately. I guess I took my esoteric mind control powers of the boil for a second.... and look what he did lol.

Archived