Pro-union Booklet in the Post

Scary Bear

Is there a thread on this? Surely there must be.

I may be missing it, but I didn't receive a copy of the Scottish Government's White Paper in the post.

http://m.stv.tv/news/scotland/279019-uk-government-pro-union-booklet-for-every-home-will-cost-720000/

Why did I get this pamphlet through in the post? I skim-read it, then binned it, as it seemed a completely lightweight piece of shite.

Didn't sit well.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I flicked through it.

I noticed one of the positive cases for the Union was that the UK donate billions in aid every year to other countries.

"An independent Scotland wouldn't be able to give foreign countries billions!"

Oh no. Better vote No then!

I've not received anything yet, but I've not been keen on any of the leaflets from the official campaigns of either side. Low on facts, high on hysteria and a heavy dose of 'believe this because we've told you this is true.'

Not long after Better Together started doing those 'newspaper' style leaflets I got to talking to someone on the bus about the referendum. She said that she had been undecided but after being handed that leaflet had decided to vote no.

On the one hand I was happy that she had decided to vote no, on the other I was a bit saddened that a clearly biased leaflet like that can make the difference in how someone is going to vote.

Reading through the 'newspaper' leaflets that Yes and Better Together have is painful reading. The Yes ones are full of wishful thinking and assertions that we can do this thing or that thing, without any evidence provided as to how or why, whilst the Better Together ones are overly negative on everything, even small matters which harms there credibility on things like currency where they actually have a point.

One of the leaflets did include a brownie recipe though, so I guess they aren't all bad.

I've not received anything yet, but I've not been keen on any of the leaflets from the official campaigns of either side. Low on facts, high on hysteria and a heavy dose of 'believe this because we've told you this is true.'

I'd agree with this.

The Yes one I took from a campaigner in Stirling was dreadful, and the BT ones are no better.

My wife is undecided and I reckon that leaflet pushed her more towards yes. She was ripping holes in a load of the arguments in it.

She's need a pneumatic drill to cope with the amount of holes in the White Paper.

I see the tired old canard of the Scottish Banks bail out was brought up again by the UK Gov pamphlet. It seems the Unionists want to make out that it was entirely a Scottish problem. My Unionist brother-in-law was trying to tell me that HBOS was a Scottish bank. He didn't even know that Barclays had the biggest bail out or were ever in trouble. See what happens when you read the "Scottish" Daily Heil.

Sounds like you made an effort. I just chucked it in the recycling.

me too. never even read it. straight in the recycling bin

got a wee questionnaire through the post from ruth Davidson today. filled that in and will be posting back, seeing as it'll cost them the postage

Are you gonnae "keep it honest" MadLib?

Much of it is very bland to be honest. On virtually everything words are chosen carefully and consequences set out vaguely. It's not an informative document.

Not received my copy yet. Can anyone tell me, is it soft and absorbent?

I only had it in my hand for a brief moment. From memory, it was glossy. Probably not particularly absorbent.

Another thing...that article on STV website notes that pamphlet will be delivered to 2.5 million households at a cost of approximately 30p. Do the government get free postage? Surely the cost of printing and posting all these is more than 30p a unit?

Bulk discount I imagine...

Possibly. Generally I'm sceptical of financial figures produced by any political organisation. Especially those who are trying to justify spunking taxpayers cash on advertising bumph.

Possibly. Generally I'm sceptical of financial figures produced by any political organisation. Especially those who are trying to justify spunking taxpayers cash on advertising bumph.

Which I'd very sensible... It's actually quite cheap to mass produce stuff.

I can see why the pamphlet has been produced, but it's wandering 'off message' a bit. So, I'll do the same.

Previously, it was all "the PM doesn't have a vote in the referendum, so he won't be getting involved". This was to avoid him getting shown up by Salmond in a live TV debate.

Since then we've had various MPs up from Westminster and Cameron getting foreign worthies to chip in. Even Cameron himself has finally decided to get a bit more vocal.

Surely as PM he should have been front and centre from the start, defending the union and promoting the benefits of it? If he isn't up to the job of showing up Salmond then he should resign and give someone who is a chance.

In short, David Cameron is the worst PM I can remember. He's even worse than Major or Brown. His replacement would be Mr Bean or some other Tory misfit. This pamphlet won't change that. The fact Cameron needs pamphlets rather than just stepping up to the mark is telling.

Edit: Actually, that's slightly unfair. It's really a toss up between Cameron or Brown as the worst PM in my lifetime. They are/were both fucking awful.

Archived