FAO Older Posters

I wonder what the first thing to hit you would be? Cassette tapes for the car? Getting out the note/phone book to find out somebody's number? Writing a letter?! Probably something even more obvious that we can't think of because we're just so used to it?

Using a phonebox.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Phoenix
I put money on a nuclear holocaust wiping us all out by 2000.

Imagine my disappointment...

Send a photo of a front of house JCP to the bookies. I'm sure they'll honour your bet.

I put money on a nuclear holocaust wiping us all out by 2000.

Imagine my disappointment...

Silly bet. Just like "I bet I die before you". No chance to use your winnings should you actually win.

I know you were only joking, by the way.

The future has worked out pretty well. Hundreds of millions of people lifted out of poverty in the developing world, great strides in infant mortality, literacy rates etc. In Europe's cities, not so long ago, there was real destitution.

Then again, I'm bitterly disappointed that the Sex Packets announced by Digital Undergound back in 1990 haven't been invented yet. Ffs, boffins, get the finger out.

A what? :huh:

Is that old man speak for one of these?

apple-iphone-5-paisly-hard-cover.jpg

No, they were more like public toilets painted red, that contained a non-functioning phone, some menchies for the local young team and occasionally a couple of cards advertising "local services", often with apparently genuine photos.

Are you disappointed how the future has turned out?

Not in a "I never saw me as a middle aged divorced guy scraping by on minimum wage" way. I mean more technologically in a "When I was a kid, Gerry Anderson had me convinced that we'd have moon bases by 1999" or "it's the 21st Century and where are the f***ing androids to do the housework?!" type way.

Or is that all completely outweighted by the idea that you can just Google almost anything on your mobile and no longer need to visit the library for a textbook... or is the mobile phone enough itself???

Sorry if this sound patronising, but I'm just interested and think about my future and wonder if technology will develop at the same exciting pace or just slow down and be largely a big disappointment... (an existing thread already covers the potential future from now though)

This has ruined pub arguments, especially when it comes to stats, International caps etc.

This has ruined pub arguments

Not to mention the good old traditional pub quiz.

Thankfully I have a regular golf club one I can go to where folk have respect for the other teams. I don't even play golf, but where else can you get that and a decent steak pie with chips for £4?

10 years ago, the future looked shite.

Then had a terrific mid-life crisis

The future's back to being shite. Unfortunately. And that's even without factoring in the prospect of another hard shift for the mighty QPee this year.

The slow pace of technology isn't to blame (I never even wanted a jetpak) for today's shitty situation; it's the fast pace of shite like poorer pensions, food banks, kids too fat to run, reality TV, the "me" generation and all the rest of it.

Not to mention the good old traditional pub quiz.

Thankfully I have a regular golf club one I can go to where folk have respect for the other teams. I don't even play golf, but where else can you get that and a decent steak pie with chips for £4?

The cheats in Behind The Wall should take note, and we still came second.

First (legal) pint I bought was 16p. Admission to the fitba (Pittodrie) was 33p (the standard 30p plus 3p of the new fangled VAT)

I have used this differential ever since and with a pint at £3 feel that standard entry to the fitba should be £6 - not the £22 I was paying last year.

Still apart from not colonising the moon and the lack of personal jet-packs, the 'future' is pretty damned amazing.

To reverse the OP's question - what a rude shock we would get if we travelled back to that time in 'the past'

3/- if I remember correctly and 3d for a programme. (15p and 1.5p respectively)

Can remember seeing Elgin City thrashing Lossiemouth at Borough Briggs 6-0 for the princely entrance fee of 1/6d

I'm in Turkey just now. Switching your phone on requires a second mortgage so we bought a phone card to check on daughter, parents etc. So we get to the phone on the beach front - neither of us have any idea what our parents phone numbers are. Why would you need to? That's the future in a nutshell. You need to think less for yourself because either some smart fucker is doing it for you or the state is. It's been fuckin brilliant being in Turkey where you risk assess stuff using your own judgement and common sense whilst in Britain you'd now be fined by some spiteful wee c**t watching you on a camera. The future I live in in the UK is full of arseholes putting yellow and black tape across your whole life. Wankers.

Tomorrows World was great in the day. It was responsible for most of my hopes and dreams for the future. Most of them turned out to be a crock of shit, but the odd one turned out to be things that we take for granted today.

I remember being wowed by a casio calculator as a kid. Imagine what it was like when you realised that you didn't actually have to get off your arse to change the telly channel, or being able to keep records without the need of a pen and paper. Even the first PC I bought was £1k for a four gb hard drive. I recently bought a 2TB hard drive for £70

First pint 78p

Modern technology is wonderful and I embrace it for my needs, but where the disappointment comes in is how people find it difficult to communicate without the need of a handheld device. We've all been in the pub where everyone is glued to their phone. Your out with me you fuckers. Stick your phone in your pocket.

To me it really hit home that I was an old fart is when my teenage daughter starts showing me how to use gadgets. Next stop nursing home

I'm kinda disappointed that all the scaremongering and various moral panics basically came to f**k all. I was hoping there'd be armageddon by now.

The Soviet Union, giant hogweed, video nasties, acid house, the millennium bug, swine flu, illegal immigrants etc were all mooted as the final nail in the coffin of society. But civilisation is still going strong.

Archived