Racist Ulster Loyalists fly KKK flag in east Belfast

Hence why I said 'Personally'.......

The INLA boy I remember but didn't know him obv, so I gave the one instance of someone I knew.

I ''think'' some of Carsons backers were Catholic (monied, not wanting to give it up), but on the other side there was a litany of them.

'' Protestant Men'' the 'folk' :rolleyes: song lists some of the 'Heroes' of the Republicans, I doubt there is a similar song on the Loyalist side.

Off the top of my head, Tandy, Burke were Quakers, Tone, the Sheares brothers, McCracken, the Emmett brothers and Parnell were all prods.

True, but there is little or no modern equivalence.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, but there is little or no modern equivalence.

Define ''modern''..............

As an aside and back to the Ulster Scots, I see the lingo gets the same cash as the Oirish Gaelic in Norn as part of the Peace Process :D

Considering it will be confined to Portavogie, Ayrshire and Kintyre (probably) that is a hooruva amount of cash for it.

I dug out some stats to get this into perspective

521 Race Hate Crimes Recorded in Northern Ireland (5 year average 2009-2014) from the PSNI

809 Race Hate Incidents Recorded in Northern Ireland (5 year average 2009-2014) from the PSNI
1,800,000 Population of Northern Ireland 2011 (From the Census)

0.3 Race Hate Crimes Recorded per 1000 people (or 3,930 people per crime)
0.4 Race Hate Crimes Recorded per 1000 people (or 2,225 people per crime)

4,242 Race Hate Crimes Reported in Scotland (5 year average 2008-2013) from the crown office and procurator fiscal service including quarterly bulletin
5,295,000 Population of Scotland 2011 (From the Census)
0.8 Race Hate Crimes Reported per 1000 people (or 1,248 people per crime)

Which suggests that Scottish self-righteous on this thread might be on somewhat shaky ground. (Don't worry we can still be self-righteous about sectarianism)

Scotland's numbers were up slightly last year from the previous one but those two years are the lowest and second lowest ever.

The Northern Irish figures for 2013/14 were the highest in 5 years but still half the per capita rate for Scotland and down on their 2006/07 peak.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland recorded 861 racist crimes in 2006/07 and 458 in 2011/12 and 470 in 2012/13

Given that we're looking at different jurisdictions with different reporting structures a simple comparison is of only limited value but if the people of Northern Ireland were committing a lot more racist crime than we think is normal here then it would surely have shown up here.

The rush on this thread to decry Northern Irish people (or half of them) as racist knuckle dragging morons thanks to this story is reminiscent of the way that EDL types seize on fundamentalist nut jobs to tar all the Muslamics with the same brush.

EDL types seize on fundamentalist nut jobs to paint all the Muslamics with the same brush.

''paint'' not ''tar''?? Casual Rascist imo...........

Anyhoo, maybe we should have a thread on:

Rascist Scots Loyalists daub Nazi symbols in Arbroath?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/politics/nazi-swastika-daubed-on-snp-msp-s-arbroath-office-1.449448?utm_content=bufferf4671&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

image.jpg

Hard to see but the shmuks do

''No

UK

OK''

Fine by me ya assholes..................

Does the ordinary man in the street hate Protestants / Catholics / anyone with different coloured skin? No. most people realise - much as they do in Scotland or anywhere else - that these people are not a threat to their way of life. It's only through pressure / fear of the powerful minority that they are unable to do anything about it.
My impression is that upwards of 90% of people in NI actively loathe the bigots on both sides and quietly wish they would FOAD so everyone can get on with their lives. Even UDA commander Jackie MacDonald said a year or two years ago that the 12th July was becoming an embarrassment, owing the the levels of drunkenness and disorder caused. Then again, he's probably one of the few people who could say that without suffering severe consequences.
If you live in an area where paramilitaries of whatever persuasion are powerful then self-preservation dictates that you keep your head down, and don't approach them in the pub with your reasoned critique of their bigoted worldview.
IMO bigots (and by wider implication, those responsible for these racist incidents are);
1. appallingly educated
2. have no prospects
3. as a result, seek validation by trying to replay sectarian violence on a lower level than happened in the Troubles;
4. those from E. Europe / Africa/Asia/the Caribbean are somehow "acceptable" targets for these nuggets given that the Troubles are historical, and that it's no longer the done thing looking for "wanaythaym" to batter / kill;
5. all this bollocks is part of a wider criminal strategy of monetising a community's fear of the knuckle draggers by whatever means necessary;
6. outsiders are clearly a threat to said monetising strategy (as a Lithuanian or Romanian will not give a flying f**k about the UDA/ UVF/ whoever's strategy of defending "ARE COMMUNITAY")
7. the way out of this is policing and harsh sentences in the first instance but
8. in the longer term, only education, continual cultural exchanges, discussion and meeting in person weaken the grip of bigoted thugs who rule by means of ignorance and fear, who would prefer to assault and intimidate people rather than talk;
9. there's a lot of smugness about NI which I don't like. If some of the bigots and knuckle draggers in places like Troon and Harthill had access to guns and explosives, these small Scottish towns wouldn't be all that much different to their equivalents in NI. Thankfully, they don't.
I have some really good friends from Northern Ireland. I am a democrat. I recognise that there is a comfortable majority in all NI communities for staying in the UK, that there is little if any appetite for joining the RoI at present, and therefore that view has to be respected. Just as I am sure fair minded Unionists (I am not talking about the OO or borderline fascists like John Taylor) may regret Scotland voting yes, if we do in September, but will accept it in good heart and wish us luck. The very strong cultural links between NI and Scotland will not change if government moves from London to Edinburgh.
The bigger tragedy is that this minoroty of bigots are noisy and intimidating, and a brain drain of NI's brightest people, disgusted by what they have seen in recent years, mean that they will hold a disproportionate influence for some time to come.

521 Race Hate Crimes Recorded in Northern Ireland (5 year average 2009-2014) from the PSNI

809 Race Hate Incidents Recorded in Northern Ireland (5 year average 2009-2014) from the PSNI

4,242 Race Hate Crimes Reported in Scotland (5 year average 2008-2013) from the crown office and procurator fiscal service including quarterly bulletin

Which suggests that Scottish self-righteous on this thread might be on somewhat shaky ground. (Don't worry we can still be self-righteous about sectarianism)

Scotland's numbers were up slightly last year from the previous one but those two years are the lowest and second lowest ever.

The Northern Irish figures for 2013/14 were the highest in 5 years but still half the per capita rate for Scotland and down on their 2006/07 peak.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland recorded 861 racist crimes in 2006/07 and 458 in 2011/12 and 470 in 2012/13

Given that we're looking at different jurisdictions with different reporting structures a simple comparison is of only limited value but if the people of Northern Ireland were committing a lot more racist crime than we think is normal here then it would surely have shown up here.

The rush on this thread to decry Northern Irish people (or half of them) as racist knuckle dragging morons thanks to this story is reminiscent of the way that EDL types seize on fundamentalist nut jobs to paint all the Muslamics with the same brush.

Yes, but seeing as how the other half are the poor, downtrodden, oppressed minority of the occupied six counties who wouldn't hurt a fly (particularly a foreign fly), that would make the % figure 0.8% also, the same as Scotland.

So obviously us loyalists/unionists are just as racist as the Scots. (Hardly surprising, as we are referred to as Ulster Scots.)

So the HRHC's point is proven Mr tc.

Close thread.

Ivo, I hope you were not referring to me in Troon! :P

No, I know who you mean and believe me, he is fully engaged in making money through white powder rather than power. Where those funds go I have no idea right enough.

My impression is that upwards of 90% of people in NI actively loathe the bigots on both sides and quietly wish they would FOAD so everyone can get on with their lives. Even UDA commander Jackie MacDonald said a year or two years ago that the 12th July was becoming an embarrassment, owing the the levels of drunkenness and disorder caused. Then again, he's probably one of the few people who could say that without suffering severe consequences.
If you live in an area where paramilitaries of whatever persuasion are powerful then self-preservation dictates that you keep your head down, and don't approach them in the pub with your reasoned critique of their bigoted worldview.
IMO bigots (and by wider implication, those responsible for these racist incidents are);
1. appallingly educated
2. have no prospects

Cannae be ersed doing the point by point thing, but as the first two are sooooooooooooooo fecking wrong it destroys the rest anyroads.

Yes, but seeing as how the other half are the poor, downtrodden, oppressed minority of the occupied six counties who wouldn't hurt a fly (particularly a foreign fly), that would make the % figure 0.8% also, the same as Scotland.

So obviously us loyalists/unionists are just as racist as the Scots. (Hardly surprising, as we are referred to as Ulster Scots.)

So the HRHC's point is proven Mr tc.

Close thread.

It was actually 0.8 per 1000 as opposed to 0.8%

The bigger point to take out of these numbers is that generally speaking people are basically decent. Even Hibs Fans

It was actually 0.8 per 1000 as opposed to 0.8%

The bigger point to take out of these numbers is that generally speaking people are basically decent. Even Hibs Fans

I was being facetious.

Yours is one of the few serious contributions to the thread, but I doubt if it will steer it onto a ptoper* discussion footing.

TA: * loyalist speak for "proper"

The rush on this thread to decry Northern Irish people (or half of them) as racist knuckle dragging morons thanks to this story is reminiscent of the way that EDL types seize on fundamentalist nut jobs to tar all the Muslamics with the same brush.

What your entire analysis is skipping over though is that I imagine the BME community in NI will be significantly smaller as a percentage of population.

Archived