Racist Ulster Loyalists fly KKK flag in east Belfast

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What your entire analysis is skipping over though is that I imagine the BME community in NI will be significantly smaller as a percentage of population.

This is true the "Ethnic" population of Scotland is 4% while in NI it's 1.8% (2011 Census)

Crunching those numbers

20 Race Hate Crimes Reported per 1000 ethnic minority population in Scotland

22 Race Hate Crimes Recorded per 1000 ethnic minority population in NI

31 Race Hate Incidents Recorded per 1000 ethnic minority population in NI

Depending on which figure is most comparable to the Scottish one this looks like a small difference or about 10 years of Scottish Progress. So we can get

Having looked at this report

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/12/4535/3

where higher figures are reported for Scottish Incidents than Crimes I think it's probably the former

I didn't lead with those numbers partly because Poles and Romanians aren't included in the numbers and race hate crimes against white people make up a particularly large component of the NI cases so I'd have to dig out further details to be sure. I think that the proportion remains the same after adding people born in EU enlargement, states but I've not verified it.

But mainly because I was addressing the issue of how likely people are to commit crime as opposed to how likely they are to suffer it.

This was in part because the thread was centring on how backwards and massively racist Northern Irish people supposedly are as opposed to how bad the lot of ethnic minorities is in Northern Ireland

But also because focusing first on the rate per potential victim as opposed to potential perpetrator seems to be wrong to me. It implies that it's the ethnic minority is the prime cause of the crimes committed against it.

Nonetheless there is a truth to it at least in extremis. If there weren't any Poles in Scotland then there wouldn't be any anti-Polish racism. So if you wish to crunch the numbers further feel free.

:lol:

actually I thought about putting Kilwinning instead :P

no hard feelings, Monster.

None taken whatsoever, I thought your post was excellent in addressing much of the root causes of the racism growing from the bigoted organisations.

I think a general tribalism contributes as well in the human sense of people being afraid to be either left out or go against the grain. Plus poverty, and with ignorance a tendency to look outwards for blame for disappointing social conditions.

No great insight, but it's about the best I can do.

I should add that i bloody love Belfast and it's folk, I've been often and they're naturally friendly. Great party city.

Would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Edit: It's non sectarian to the uneducated.

Erm.......no. Not sectarian.

Just feckin shite. Whinging about 'losing' 3 counties. Boo-hoo.

Do us all a favour and f**k off with your injustices. I mean, its not as if the blokes in the South of that island lost thousands of mates fighting in the Somme is it?

Archived