Racist Ulster Loyalists fly KKK flag in east Belfast

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Northern Irish colleague claimed today that making fun of someone's height is as bad as racism. Apparently 'they' can't take a joke that's the problem. Stupid bitch couldn't understand that tall or short people haven't been persecuted for hundreds of years so it's slightly different.

Never bumped his head on the top of a doorway post IMO

We recently had transgender training with an interesting character called Becky Kent and he/she claimed the word, "tranny", is as offensive as the word, "n1gger".

He/she then said the worst/most offensive question you can ask a transvestite is "What is your real name?"

Really Becky?

Incidentally, in a training session designed to address discrimination and stereotyping, the opening line was "All men are stupid".

We recently had transgender training with an interesting character called Becky Kent and he/she claimed the word, "tranny", is as offensive as the word, "n1gger".

To a transgender person, I'd imagine it is. The implication here is that there is an objective list of offensive terms that are non-context specific, and if I were to call a white transgender person the n-word, then they'd have more cause for offence than if I'd called them a "tranny".

To be honest, it's not for anyone else to make value judgements on the validity of others' experience of discrimination - if members of the transgender community find "tranny" offensive, then it kind of is, and I'm not sure ranking unrelated terms of abuse in order of some objective conception of the level of offence they cause is useful or relevant.

He/she then said the worst/most offensive question you can ask a transvestite is "What is your real name?"

Really Becky?

Incidentally, in a training session designed to address discrimination and stereotyping, the opening line was "All men are stupid".

Referring to Becky as "he/she" is offensive. She has chosen to live as a woman, hence she is a woman. Self-determination is crucial and for you to disparage her life choice in just two words is pretty low.

Referring to Becky as "he/she" is offensive. She has chosen to live as a woman, hence she is a woman. Self-determination is crucial and for you to disparage her life choice in just two words is pretty low.

I disagree. I admit the opening gambit of, "All men are stupid", got my back up in a session designed to combat stereotyping and discrimination, leaving me less well disposed towards him/her.

Becky is a pre-operation transsexual and, as far as I know, is not undergoing hormone treatment, so is not yet a woman (IMO).

To a transgender person, I'd imagine it is. The implication here is that there is an objective list of offensive terms that are non-context specific, and if I were to call a white transgender person the n-word, then they'd have more cause for offence than if I'd called them a "tranny".

To be honest, it's not for anyone else to make value judgements on the validity of others' experience of discrimination - if members of the transgender community find "tranny" offensive, then it kind of is, and I'm not sure ranking unrelated terms of abuse in order of some objective conception of the level of offence they cause is useful or relevant.

I take your point, but I wasn't ranking anything, nor was I trying to be context specific.

I just feel that the "N" word has much more hatred behind it whereas tranny, offensive though it may be to some, is no more than an abbreviation to me, although I accept that other abbreviations (Paki) are odious and deeply tainted.

I guess what I'm trying to say, (badly), is that the use of words like Paki or nigger are gratuitous and highly venomous, whereas the use of tranny, IMO, isn't quite in that ballpark, although I accept some will use it as a pejorative and offensive term.

I disagree. I admit the opening gambit of, "All men are stupid", got my back up in a session designed to combat stereotyping and discrimination, leaving me less well disposed towards him/her.

Becky is a pre-operation transsexual and, as far as I know, is not undergoing hormone treatment, so is not yet a woman (IMO).

It doesn't matter what your opinion is. The very crux of self-determination is that it cannot be left to others to decide what or who you are. If she feels she is a woman then she is a woman, regardless of how you feel about it or whether it meets your personal standard.

My Northern Irish colleague claimed today that making fun of someone's height is as bad as racism. Apparently 'they' can't take a joke that's the problem. Stupid bitch couldn't understand that tall or short people haven't been persecuted for hundreds of years so it's slightly different.

I take your point, but I wasn't ranking anything, nor was I trying to be context specific.

I just feel that the "N" word has much more hatred behind it whereas tranny, offensive though it may be to some, is no more than an abbreviation to me, although I accept that other abbreviations (Paki) are odious and deeply tainted.

I guess what I'm trying to say, (badly), is that the use of words like Paki or nigger are gratuitous and highly venomous, whereas the use of tranny, IMO, isn't quite in that ballpark, although I accept some will use it as a pejorative and offensive term.

Again though, it's not up to you to decide which term is the more or the less offensive or to say "it's not too bad because it doesn't seem offensive to me".

Again though, it's not up to you to decide which term is the more or the less offensive or to say "it's not too bad because it doesn't seem offensive to me".

That's not what it said, I only inserted the bit about it being "my opinion" as I may well be wrong, but I believe that there is much more venom and hatred behind the awful "N" word and the contexts in which it is generally used. I also said that I understood that tranny could be a pejorative and offensive term.

Has been discussed in NI Assembly several times.

Religious weirdoes are blocking it.

I'm presuming that's pretty much everyone apart from Alliance, the Green and the odd SDLP member.

You'll not hear me say this often, but SF seem to have quite a reasoned attitude towards this.

To celebrate this, here's a man who was never ever involved in terrorism signing for everyone on P&B.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28230504

Archived