Alan Hansen Worst world cup commentator?

BStoFYI

I know with that moron, biased moron MARK LAWRO, and with a few of the others its hard to really say for sure but Hansen has always been intensely negative about attacking play which always put me off, and I never really feel he gets much joy out of the game and feel he's responsible for selling a false brand of unrealistic cynicism to the masses he transmits into the homes of. What I mean is that every goal ever scored is in fact a mistake from defense some how, however you or I would only undestand far fewer than the incidents Hansen highlights for each goal scored to be an "actual" mistake, actual mistakes being passing to opponent which loses a goal, not trying to get tight to opponent costing a goal, not marking an opponent when only a couple make fairly straight runs or simply have no movement what so ever is a mistake. Being beat by pass and move or a great bit of dribbling play, or multiple runners all bending their runs, or a set piece where umpteen distractions are used and maybe certain defenders are boxed in legally by some of the attackers to make space for the recipient are all examples of skill-full goals or hard work on the training ground NOT mistakes in the actual sense of the word as if people made none of the pseudo mistakes Hansen highlights in each and every game then there would be hardly any goals at all (pens and out side shots being only goals left available...). But this is not primarily the reason that makes him so bad, what makes him so bad is that he gets nearly every prediction wrong.

1. He without looking at the actual evidence said early on and half time in Holland vs Costa Rica game " Costa rica will tire can't see this going to extra time" on what possible basis could the idiot say that when in previous game they had held on during extra time with a man less than their opponents...Also it was clear after 20 minutes to most savy folks that it was heading for extra time, how Hansen can not see that and call him self a pundit is beyond me.

2. Then he said Costa rica would win on penalties at which point I betted (not with cash lol) that Holand would win the shoot out also stats say its very rare for a team to be playing in a stage they never reached before and win 2 penalty shoot outs in a row.

3. Hansen said Brazil would win easy against Germany at end of Costa rica Vs Holland show, at which point I REALLY REALLY wanted to put money on germany beating brazil but was scared I would undo the "Hansen Principle" which is namely "the opposite of what Hansen says will happen will occur in nearly all football matches".

Between Hansen and Lawro being totally biased against the play full Holland team in that Costa rica match ( a team full of spoilers) the Bias towards south american teams has been way to much and the usual Hansen trick of only every praising attacking play if its done by one of a small band of elite players, not even highly skilled players like pogba and Benzema make that list,we all know its rooney, suarez, neymar, messi, Ronaldo and now James Rodriguez. I mean if u waned a defence minded but still give it a go in the last 20 minute side to win ud have backed America or even Iran in their game vs Argentina however nope that idiot Lawerson backed Both the other teams in those games and picked cynical and boring costa rica who offered nothing compared to the 2 teams I just mentioned, I think America and Iran where better examples of limited teams doing well without being totally tear inducingly negative and boring. The general pro south american vibe was a bit too much and esp the pro Brazil theme, I wanted the best football teams to win or the underdogs and because I looked impartially at this instead of some biased toward host nation or nations I nearly always found the commentators willing on some team Brazil or cloggers just because they remembered how Brazil used to play or it was a south american nation in a south american competition...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would actually say Alan Hansen is one of the best pundits. He's not great, but only Martin O'Neill and Gordon Strachan have looked markedly better. Hansen is easily better than Lawro, Carlisle, Matterface, Tyldsley, Cannavaro (Who can barely speak English), Ferdinand and Shearer amongst others.

Would actually say Alan Hansen is one of the best pundits. He's not great, but only Martin O'Neill and Gordon Strachan have looked markedly better. Hansen is easily better than Lawro, Carlisle, Matterface, Tyldsley, Cannavaro (Who can barely speak English), Ferdinand and Shearer amongst others.

disagree he got it wrong about Brazil easily beating Germany, about cost Rica not making extra time then saying cost Rica would beat holland on penalties. He also years ago, before my time said u will not win anything with a team of kids, and was wrong then too. He gets nearly all calls wrong so that makes him defacto bad. Glad u agree O'Neil and Strachan are good but for me Vieira was best, Henry is good but too apologetic of diving, I quite like Cannavaro. Laweranson drives me mad but Adrian Chiles has improved each time I see him from his firs performance last major tournament. Ferdinand is gash. Shearer is usually gash but for once was decent tonight ironically.

I think Ian Wright hasn't been bad this time round, he's toned it right down and I don't think he's the worst of them. Robbie Savage is either really good or really bad, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground with him.

And the ITV curse has struck again, Lee Dixon has gone from one of the better pundits to being dumb and dull as hell.

Strachan and O'Neil are miles ahead of any of the others though.

BTW I just played a report on the BBC news about Brazil's 7-1 and the reporter Ben Brown opens it with "Brazil right now, is a city in utter shock".

I know with that moron, biased moron MARK LAWRO, and with a few of the others its hard to really say for sure but Hansen has always been intensely negative about attacking play which always put me off, and I never really feel he gets much joy out of the game and feel he's responsible for selling a false brand of unrealistic cynicism to the masses he transmits into the homes of. What I mean is that every goal ever scored is in fact a mistake from defense some how, however you or I would only undestand far fewer than the incidents Hansen highlights for each goal scored to be an "actual" mistake, actual mistakes being passing to opponent which loses a goal, not trying to get tight to opponent costing a goal, not marking an opponent when only a couple make fairly straight runs or simply have no movement what so ever is a mistake.

Sometimes he is right.

I think Ian Wright hasn't been bad this time round, he's toned it right down and I don't think he's the worst of them. Robbie Savage is either really good or really bad, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground with him.

Ian Wright is fighting an epic battle against the english language. He's losing terribly.

And he calls Glenn Hoddle "gaffer" at every opportunity.

I dislike him a lot, but he's not the worst.

Assuming Adrian chiles doesn't count (if he does then he comes top of the list of shit pundits) then Pearce, Savage and Murphy are worse than he is. Hansen probably comes fourth, in a three way tie with Wright and Carlisle though.

As for Alan Shearer, I generally think he is an awful pundit, but this World Cup he actually seems quite good. It looks like he has done his homework, and whilst he's certainly not the best, he's been perfectly adequate and of the level you would expect.

I thought he was pretty good last night, and he's absolutely miles away from the worst. At half time Shearer seemed incensed that Hansen had the temerity to suggest that being 5-0 down might be Brazil's fault, rather than Germany being the greatest team ever. I agree with him - I think last night was more about how bad Brazil were than how amazing Germany were. Germany barely got out of third gear in the end, it was made oh so easy for them.

He may be dour most of the time, but he knows what he's talking about. He's in the mid-table of pundits.

Have a look at this article to see just how little hansen knows about football. An absolute joke of a pundit:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10954992/World-Cup-2014-Holland-striker-Robin-van-Persie-has-been-one-of-many-Premier-League-failures-in-Brazil.html

I don't see an awful lot wrong with that article to be honest.

I think pundits get a hard time, because if you disagree with their opinion or point of view you dismiss them as bad at their job which isn't necessarily the case.

I never read the big spiel at the top, but generally I think Hansen's all right. There's a lot worse out there. He's also not a commentator.

I thought he was pretty good last night, and he's absolutely miles away from the worst. At half time Shearer seemed incensed that Hansen had the temerity to suggest that being 5-0 down might be Brazil's fault, rather than Germany being the greatest team ever. I agree with him - I think last night was more about how bad Brazil were than how amazing Germany were. Germany barely got out of third gear in the end, it was made oh so easy for them.

He may be dour most of the time, but he knows what he's talking about. He's in the mid-table of pundits.

Agree with this.

Shearer was almost foaming at the mouth because Hansen criticised Brazil's non existent defending and although the Germans were brilliant to watch the game looked more like one of those practice games National sides play against local amateurs for the run out rather than a WC semi final.

Shearer didn't seem to grasp just how bad Brazil were.

In terms of the worst pundit it has to be Robbie Savage who offers absolutely no insight to what is happening and talks like the moronic fan you have been unlucky enough to get a seat next to.

Ian Wright has improved as the tournament has gone on and once he gets rid of a couple of bad habits and learns English will be quite good, I'd say the same about Cannavaro.

Lineker is a brilliant host and even though he is an ex player that scored WC goals is still a much better tv man than Adrian Chiles.

Strachan and O'Neill have been good.

Danny Murphy says the word "tired" a lot.

Clark Carlisle is the most boring commentator I've ever heard, he can even make Phil Neville sound giggly though I thought Neville improved as well.

A few worse than Hansen.

Hansen is a good pundit as a previous defender, and he has some insight into what makes a crap or good defence. The only other defender is Rio Ferdinand and he is not nearly as good. Shearer is an ex centre forward so has a different view as why goals get scored or missed etc.

Did the Chermans score seven against the Boys from Brazil because the attack was good or because the defence was bad?

David Luis going AWOL for most of them was a contributing factor!

Why exactly is Robbie Savage a pundit? The likes of Lineker, Shearer, Hansen etc were at least top players in their day. What did Savage do?

I don't see an awful lot wrong with that article to be honest.

"Aside from Vincent Kompany, who was outstanding and solid as a rock in all of Belgium's games, very few Premier League players have made an impression."

" But when you consider that Mathieu Debuchy, Laurent Koscielny and Patrice Evra would struggle to get into the England team where does that leave you?"

"average Premier League players such as Martin Demichelis"

The whole article is about premier league players being "burnt out" citing robin van persie as example - he only played 21 pl games last season.

Drivel from start to finish

Archived