Alan Hansen Worst world cup commentator?

BStoFYI

You slate him for predicting Brazil would beat Germany, but a lot of people did. Okay a lot of money was on Germany, but Brazil were a popular pick. Everyone in the studio last night apart from Rio were predicting Brazil. They should all be getting hounded too.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashley Cole > Baines > Evra

The fact Cole wasn't even in the squad is laughable.

Cole should definitely have been in the squad ahead of Baines who is vastly overrated but I think an aging Evra is a better player than either of them.

I think it's Hansen's condescending, arrogant manner that makes people dislike him so much. It certainly is for me. His understanding of the finer points of the game is actually not that bad, especially compared to a clown like Pearce.

He is also reasonably eloquent compared to someone like Ferdinand, who comes across like a mentally retarded version of Ali G.

Think Hansen is the most complete pundit out there out of the people covering the WC. He talks about defending in depth which is obviously his strong point, and is the most natural at explaining his thought process. Whilst I prefer Strachan and O'Neill because they've been very, very good, you can see that it doesn't come naturally to them as much as it does to Hansen.

Shearer is definitely improving though. Although his staunch position of Germany just being 'wonderful' and Brazil couldn't do anything to counteract it was just nonsense as Hansen rightly pointed out.

My two favourite clips of punditry over this world cup are as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8SQfBr1CA

Neither piece is discussing the game, Strachan points out something that's blatantly obvious that no-one else has really ever pointed out and O'Neill just destroys everyone on the panel including Chiles.

He's no where near the worst and I don't mind hearing about the defending side of the game.

The biggest surprise for me has been Danny Murphy, I've actually been quite impressed by his knowledge and the way he gets his point across. Not saying he's the best but I wasn't expecting him to be as good.

Alan Hansen has been put to grass about ten years too late. He just seems so impressed with himself all the time, probably stemming from the fact that he's been an immovable fixture in the MotD panel for about twenty years.

The worst, however, is undoubtedly Mark Lawrenson. The guy adds absolutely nothing whatsoever. Occasionally, Hansen will make a comment outwith his usual "two banks of four" chat and it can be almost insightful - whereas his erstwhile partner in crime seems to specialize in atrocious and condescending one-liners. "Lawro" always seems to me like a man who's given up on life. He has a melancholy in his eyes and body language that suggests he is desperately unhappy with his lot, spending his evenings alone in a Holiday Inn drinking whiskey, just waiting for his elderly mother to pass away so he can go the whole hog and end it all.

That is one of the most fantastic posts i have ever seen, take a bow soon

I don't know what some people want from pundits, if you want the most in depth analysis possible then you will probably be in the minority especially at the world cup where a good chunk of the audience don't know that much about football and are just watching for the occasion. Most people who watch the games week in week out aren't going to be that arsed about the punditry just so long as they discuss the important parts of the games that are obvious to everyone, if you are wanting the best and most detailed analysis you will probably have to look else where but i think there is usually a pretty good mix of wise pundits and entertaining tv personalities for all the channels.

I think Hansen is still a relevant pundit to have about as he's dour, Scottish and quite funny. Lawrenson is completely irrelevant, not many people know much about him as a footballer but is plain to see he is a very negative man who brings nothing of any use to anyone and should be off the screen

Aww! Now look what you've done.

Alan Hansen: TV pundit to bow out after World Cup final

Legendary football pundit Alan Hansen makes his final appearance for the BBC this Sunday during the World Cup final in Rio.

The 59-year-old, who moved into punditry a year after retiring from the game in 1991, steps aside after 22 years on screen.

The biggest surprise for me has been Danny Murphy, I've actually been quite impressed by his knowledge and the way he gets his point across. Not saying he's the best but I wasn't expecting him to be as good.

Danny Murphy calls ever decision wrong in play and then corrects himself after seeing the replay.

"That was a really great tackle and....oh....maybe not....bit naughty there from Gonzalez, that's a bit of a shocker actually" or "He's hit that straight in the top corner, brilliant technique, those sort of goals don't happen by accident and....actually looking at the replay that's a complete mishit.".

Quite often he has a little chuckle to himself as well as if...."oh what am I like, got another one wrong".

That is hilarious from Strachan :lol: MON always seems like a decent guy but i don't know why he had the dig at Vieira and Cannavaro they always seem like decent guys from what i have seen of them!! I think Danny Murphy has done a good job. Robbie Savage is a complete imbecile but entertaining to some extent. Shearer is alright as well, just a pretty dull and serious man

Danny Murphy calls ever decision wrong in play and then corrects himself after seeing the replay.

"That was a really great tackle and....oh....maybe not....bit naughty there from Gonzalez, that's a bit of a shocker actually" or "He's hit that straight in the top corner, brilliant technique, those sort of goals don't happen by accident and....actually looking at the replay that's a complete mishit.".

Quite often he has a little chuckle to himself as well as if...."oh what am I like, got another one wrong".

I don't want to defend Danny Murphy too much, but at least doing that is better than getting it wrong, but sticking to your guns no matter how many replays and different angles prove you were wrong.

MON always seems like a decent guy but i don't know why he had the dig at Vieira and Cannavaro they always seem like decent guys from what i have seen of them!!

I'm sure Vieira and Cannavora had a sort of veiled dig at not knowing he ever actually played, Chiles had also just taken the piss out of him

And I don't mind Murphy, at least he admits to mistakes. I think its Townsend who simply refuses to back down even when replays show he was blatantly wrong

I don't want to defend Danny Murphy too much, but at least doing that is better than getting it wrong, but sticking to your guns no matter how many replays and different angles prove you were wrong.

Craig Burley is murder for that, feel like kicking his false teeth in at times!

Archived