Alan Hansen Worst world cup commentator?

BStoFYI

I think pundits get a hard time, because if you disagree with their opinion or point of view you dismiss them as bad at their job which isn't necessarily the case.

I never read the big spiel at the top, but generally I think Hansen's all right. There's a lot worse out there. He's also not a commentator.

Yip, I made this point on another thread. People are jealous as they see these pundits sitting in Brazil being paid to watch football so are immediately resentful of this, therefore any mistake or wrong prediction is pounced upon. Hansen is fine, I think he's retiring at the right time though.

My pet hate is the continual use of ex-players as pundits, particularly pointless ones like Murphy, Kilbane, Keown, Savage, Neville, Dixon etc. It's as if TV companies don't think the public will take seriously the opinion of someone who hasn't played the game. I'd far rather listen to a literate pundit who studies the game than some clown like Savage who made a career out of kicking people. At the least there should be a mixture on the show, not 3 gormless ex-Aston Villa players or whatever.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why exactly is Robbie Savage a pundit? The likes of Lineker, Shearer, Hansen etc were at least top players in their day. What did Savage do?

It was done to death on twitter, but there was a great picture of Savage sitting next to Seedorf and Henry early on in the tourney and they all had a list of their acheivments in the game. Henry and Seedorf's was a massive list of just about every major honour in the club and international game.

Savage's was "League Cup Winner - Leicester"

"Aside from Vincent Kompany, who was outstanding and solid as a rock in all of Belgium's games, very few Premier League players have made an impression."

" But when you consider that Mathieu Debuchy, Laurent Koscielny and Patrice Evra would struggle to get into the England team where does that leave you?"

"average Premier League players such as Martin Demichelis"

The whole article is about premier league players being "burnt out" citing robin van persie as example - he only played 21 pl games last season.

Drivel from start to finish

Yeah his point seems to be that Premier League players are too burnt out to perform, yet he then gives 9 examples of Premier League players who have performed..

In fairness to him the incoherent rambling nature of it suggests it was a phone call turned into an article. I doubt he actually sat down and wrote it. I hope not anyway.

Have a look at this article to see just how little hansen knows about football. An absolute joke of a pundit:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10954992/World-Cup-2014-Holland-striker-Robin-van-Persie-has-been-one-of-many-Premier-League-failures-in-Brazil.html

That is an awful article, full of pish and nonsense!

I don't see an awful lot wrong with that article to be honest.

Really?

He's slagging off Van Persie when he's in a World Cup semi final with 3 goals to his name, far from the awful performance he implies.....and Messi the stand out player? Not a chance, he's had flashes of brilliance but I could count those on one hand.

He also seems to be saying that the EPL is so tough on players that they are all knackered. I'd say it's more to do with players in the EPL not being as good as the best in La Liga or the Bundesliga.

And Debuchy, Koscielny and Evra aren't good enough for England? :lol:

The guy is a clown!

Yip, I made this point on another thread. People are jealous as they see these pundits sitting in Brazil being paid to watch football so are immediately resentful of this, therefore any mistake or wrong prediction is pounced upon.

Just utter pish I'm afraid. People are annoyed because they hear good analysis from some and utter gibberish from others. Not difficult to understand.

Alan Hansen has been put to grass about ten years too late. He just seems so impressed with himself all the time, probably stemming from the fact that he's been an immovable fixture in the MotD panel for about twenty years.

The worst, however, is undoubtedly Mark Lawrenson. The guy adds absolutely nothing whatsoever. Occasionally, Hansen will make a comment outwith his usual "two banks of four" chat and it can be almost insightful - whereas his erstwhile partner in crime seems to specialize in atrocious and condescending one-liners. "Lawro" always seems to me like a man who's given up on life. He has a melancholy in his eyes and body language that suggests he is desperately unhappy with his lot, spending his evenings alone in a Holiday Inn drinking whiskey, just waiting for his elderly mother to pass away so he can go the whole hog and end it all.

Im going against the grain here(slightly),In defence of Savage, he was fantastic to listen to on five live especially after the Cahill volley for Austrailia, his passion for the game comes even more to the fore on the radio

Hansens just a c**t

Lawro ditto

Shearer done well last night and seemed mighty pissed off at the "mourning" for brazil a la Hansen !

Pearce can just F**k off

Mark Lawrenson just sounds like he doesn't want to be there and can't be the slightest bit arsed talking about it. I wonder if they hired the manic, excessively enthusiastic (but still utterly pig ignorant) Jonathan Pearce as a sort of counterbalance to avoid Lawro driving viewers to mass suicide.

Im going against the grain here(slightly),In defence of Savage, he was fantastic to listen to on five live especially after the Cahill volley for Austrailia, his passion for the game comes even more to the fore on the radio

Hansens just a c**t

Lawro ditto

Shearer done well last night and seemed mighty pissed off at the "mourning" for brazil a la Hansen !

Pearce can just F**k off

Yeah, whilst Savage isn' the most articulate or insightful pundit he is always entusiastic can be quite funny at times.

The radio commentary on 5live a few years back where the ball hits him on the head and knocks his headphones off is one of the funniest things I've heard on the radio!

Plus you had to laugh at his Derby training antics, letting the players take shots at his face. :lol:

Mark Lawerson is a complete and utter f**k. He doesn't talk about the game half the time and is full of shite comments, which only he finds funny. He is actually that bad, my bother-in-law, whom is normally a very placid guy nearlly put his foot through the TV the other night.

PS Danny Murphy is up there as well.

Yip, I made this point on another thread. People are jealous as they see these pundits sitting in Brazil being paid to watch football so are immediately resentful of this, therefore any mistake or wrong prediction is pounced upon. Hansen is fine, I think he's retiring at the right time though.

My pet hate is the continual use of ex-players as pundits, particularly pointless ones like Murphy, Kilbane, Keown, Savage, Neville, Dixon etc. It's as if TV companies don't think the public will take seriously the opinion of someone who hasn't played the game. I'd far rather listen to a literate pundit who studies the game than some clown like Savage who made a career out of kicking people. At the least there should be a mixture on the show, not 3 gormless ex-Aston Villa players or whatever.

I have to say that I totally disagree with this. I wouldn't want to be a pundit, I think it must be quite hard to get it right; not am I resentful of the people who are as they have earnt the right ( by being qualified as people who know the game well) to go there and commentate. That's what is so frustrating though - some people are good at it and have been praised, even on here, for doing it well such as Murphy, O'Neill, Strachan etc. Some of them maybe get criticised unfairly when we simply don't agree with them but honestly, there's no justification for the likes of Lawrenson who is actually insulting the players and says the most ludicrous things sometimes or Pearce when he simply refused to drop the whole goal line technology thing.

I think people would be kinder to them if they dropped the whole 'opinion commentating' and actually started saying what was happening on the pitch. A few have done it at the World Cup and it's much better.

I think using ex-players is a good thing as they probably know the game best and some of the best insight has in the past come from Neville and Murphy precisely because they can explain well what and why things are happening. However they shouldn't just throw in any ex-pro, they should at least have a look at them and see if they can do the communication part of commentary as well as the analysis.

The reasoning you're using to justify about him being the worst pundit is wrong. Okay he got his predictions wrong, as did a lot of people. If he was getting all predictions right then he'd be making a decent wad from gambling.

Except no if prediction continually turn out to be wrong far more than he ever gets right and then he still continues to be over smug with his own opinions and predictions it makes him very annoying as a person for a lot of, maybe the majority, of viewers at home and makes you a defacto bad pundit. Pundits are supposed to get more predictions right than they get wrong. He lives in a fantasy land where the work/play of the attacking side never matters unless its by one of a few superstars such as Messi, and the assumption that defending is amateurish when the attacking team have forced a side into looking that bad with excellent movement and first class finishing, if say partick thistle played last night no doubt we'd be talking about a historic draw for thistle against Brazil but we'd be saying that Brazil defended very well, as ordinary players can not make good defenders look amateurish. It takes great players to make a team artificially appear as though they are pub standard defenders, most other teams wouldn't have scored 5 goals with 5 chances and wouldn't have moved the ball so quickly, as much as brazil where bad, it was purely germanies ability that forced them into errors, and for the first 3 goals their movement would be hard for any world class defender to pick up the right runners, making space is a talent too with great bending of ones run.

As for Alan Shearer, I generally think he is an awful pundit, but this World Cup he actually seems quite good. It looks like he has done his homework, and whilst he's certainly not the best, he's been perfectly adequate and of the level you would expect.

Agree with this. Shearer is one who seems to have taken on board the justified criticism he got last time out, and has definitely improved. Fair play to him.

Except no if prediction continually turn out to be wrong far more than he ever gets right and then he still continues to be over smug with his own opinions and predictions it makes him very annoying as a person for a lot of, maybe the majority, of viewers at home and makes you a defacto bad pundit. Pundits are supposed to get more predictions right than they get wrong.

If you're a simpleton.
Otherwise, you can't expect them to be right all the time. In fact, it's pretty ridiculous you're putting so much emphasis on whether they're right or wrong. Like someone said, if he was right all the time, he wouldn't be a pundit, as he'd be off on his private island living off his gambling winnings.

He lives in a fantasy land where the work/play of the attacking side never matters unless its by one of a few superstars such as Messi, and the assumption that defending is amateurish when the attacking team have forced a side into looking that bad with excellent movement and first class finishing, if say partick thistle played last night no doubt we'd be talking about a historic draw for thistle against Brazil but we'd be saying that Brazil defended very well, as ordinary players can not make good defenders look amateurish. It takes great players to make a team artificially appear as though they are pub standard defenders, most other teams wouldn't have scored 5 goals with 5 chances and wouldn't have moved the ball so quickly, as much as brazil where bad, it was purely germanies ability that forced them into errors, and for the first 3 goals their movement would be hard for any world class defender to pick up the right runners, making space is a talent too with great bending of ones run.

Aye, when they took their kick-off from the third goal, it was Germany that forced them to play an incredibly short back-pass to let them in for a 4th. It's absolute rubbish to say that the result was purely down to Germany. They never got close to top gear, and only reached third gear in the fifteen minute flurry. Brazil did the rest by deciding not to defend and let them play ridiculous one-twos in their own box.

Games being lost isn't always down to bad defending, but yesterday night it emphatically was.

Archived