Why Are Many Drivers So Anti-Cyclist In This Country?

Like I said there is a lot of ignorance out there, especially amongst cyclist who do not bother with learning the rules. Drivers have to learn the rules whether they can be bothered to or not. Cyclists who do not bother are contemptable. It is not just their safety they are risking through their ignorance.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What, the one which says ,"Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass."

fyi a bike isn't a slow moving vehicle

A bike is a vehicle.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/vehicle

What, the one which says ,"Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass."

fyi a bike isn't a slow moving vehicle

You also stated ,"A cyclist holding up traffic without pulling up to let it past is careless (he has no due care and attention for his/her fellow road users) careless cycling is punishable by up to a £1000 fine"

I think you're getting "careless" mixed up with "inconsiderate".

http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/cycling-offences-riding-dangerously-recklessly-carelessly-or-inconsiderately

You will also see in that link that a bicycle is described as a vehicle under the road traffic act.

You may believe yourself to be a good cyclist but you still have much to learn.

All road users should frequently revisit the highway code and make sure they understand fully the sections relevent to themselves.

http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/cycling-offences-riding-dangerously-recklessly-carelessly-or-inconsiderately

You will also see in that link that a bicycle is described as a vehicle under the road traffic act.

It states the maximum penalty for careless cycling is up to £1,000.

Holding up traffic isn't careless,its inconsiderate

It states the maximum penalty for careless cycling is up to £1,000.

Holding up traffic isn't careless,its inconsiderate

It is cycling without due care and attention. Believe me, I have a mate who did exactly the same in an HGV and was hit with driving without due care and attention. 3 points lost him his job.

If you read the piece properly Careless and Inconsiderate cycling is the full name of an offence ie you are causing the same offence whether you are being careless or inconsiderate and that offence carries a maximum £1000 fine.

I think under law,its legally classed as a carriage

You are wrong. A carriage is classed as a vehicle under the law anyway.

You are wrong. A carriage is classed as a vehicle under the law anyway.

Nah, he's not

Drivers are the biggest danger on the road, hence why we need to sit a test before being allowed on the road.

Nah, he's not

Drivers are the biggest danger on the road, hence why we need to sit a test before being allowed on the road.

You and others like you are the biggest danger on the road, you are thrawn, stubborn and blinkered.

You believe you are above the law and everyone else is to blame for your ignorance.

Any reasonable person presented with the facts would go and brush up on their skills so as to become a safer more considerate member of the public but you just want car drivers demonised.

I am a cyclist, motorcyclist, car driver and have my HGV licence. There is ignorance in all road users but there is more in cyclists and pedestrians who believe the rules do not apply to them because they don't need to read them.

You and others like you are the biggest danger on the road, you are thrawn, stubborn and blinkered.

You believe you are above the law and everyone else is to blame for your ignorance.

Any reasonable person presented with the facts would go and brush up on their skills so as to become a safer more considerate member of the public but you just want car drivers demonised.

I am a cyclist, motorcyclist, car driver and have my HGV licence. There is ignorance in all road users but there is more in cyclists and pedestrians who believe the rules do not apply to them because they don't need to read them.

Yeah I know, I'm a driver. That's why I had to take a test.

Of course, you'll back provide some evidence to show most accident on the roads are causes by cyclists or pedestrians

If not, you best just button it and accept you're incorrect

Yeah I know, I'm a driver. That's why I had to take a test.

Of course, you'll back provide some evidence to show most accident on the roads are causes by cyclists or pedestrians

If not, you best just button it and accept you're incorrect

f**k up man. Ignorance is the most dangerous thing on the roads. HGVs carry the most risk, motorcycles are the most hazardous.

Bicycle accidents are non reportable, unless they involve a third party so it is impossible to say how many cyclists fall off and hurt themselves. I'd hazzard a guess that there are as many if not more minor incidents with cyclists than motor vehicles.

f**k up man. Ignorance is the most dangerous thing on the roads. HGVs carry the most risk, motorcycles are the most hazardous.

Bicycle accidents are non reportable, unless they involve a third party so it is impossible to say how many cyclists fall off and hurt themselves. I'd hazzard a guess that there are as many if not more minor incidents with cyclists than motor vehicles.

So you have no evidence, you're making an assumption based on seethe?

Thanks for clearing that up.

So you have no evidence, you're making an assumption based on seethe?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Honestly?

Every single vehicle can be operated safely. Ignorance of how to operate the vehicle makes it dangerous. Ignorant people are in all walks of life. There are brilliant drivers, there are ignorant ones.

You provided the fact that there are a higher percentage of ignorant cyclists yourself, they are not aware that the highway code applies to them so they choose to ignore it.

There are bad drivers who choose to ignore the highway code after learning it but all have at least some knowledge.

Incompetent cycling is more prevalent than incompetent driving. Cars rarely drive along pavements. Drivers rarely hang onto lorries to pull them along.

Everyone should read the highway code, everyone should obey it.

I think you will find that its actually people that carry the most risk and are also the most hazardous. I believe that cyclists are top of both those lists, the only proof i have is through personal experiences of riding/ driving.

I think you will find that its actually people that carry the most risk and are also the most hazardous. I believe that cyclists are top of both those lists, the only proof i have is through personal experiences of riding/ driving.

I'd agree given that risk is the potential to cause an accident and hazard is the potential damage caused by an accident. If you carried out a risk assessment and eliminated people the risk would be nullified.

Doing a simple risk assessment on cycling as opposed to driving would make cycling far more dangerous. The fact that cyclists do not have to have mandatory training would be a huge factor in that.

Incompetent cycling is more prevalent than incompetent driving. Cars rarely drive along pavements. Drivers rarely hang onto lorries to pull them along.

Drivers routinely aggressive, drive through red lights, speed, etc...

For example the number of people seriously injured or killed by drivers last year was 23,660

How, can you provide me the same figure for cyclists? Thanks

I've never seen a cyclist hang onto a lorry before, I suggest you're just straw clutching and to be honest, I wouldn't allow you on the road with your anger issues.

A bike is both a carriage and a vehicle. I suspect it is a bit complex as new acts come in, old ones don't get superseded etc.

There is no law for cyclists holding up traffic. It would be down to individual circumstances as to whether it could be regarded as inconsiderate, and it would have to be proven. I'd suspect that it would be difficult to prove that someone cycling at a normal speed along a road but holding up traffic was inconsiderate unless he was deliberately stopping them getting past when they could.

There was one high profile one in England where a man was given a fine for inconsiderate cycling for holding up traffic. It was taken to the Crown Court which overturned it because he wasn't stopping traffic passing.

There are some very bad cyclists, however I'd suspect the number of poor drivers out there dwarfs it.

On accident reporting, bike accidents do sometimes show up even if there is no third party but if there is an injury, however many don't as they do not get reported similar to many damage only accidents. They bridge the gap looking at A&E records if I remember correctly.

Drivers routinely aggressive, drive through red lights, speed, etc...

For example the number of people seriously injured or killed by drivers last year was 23,660

How, can you provide me the same figure for cyclists? Thanks

I've never seen a cyclist hang onto a lorry before, I suggest you're just straw clutching and to be honest, I wouldn't allow you on the road with your anger issues.

Why would it be part of the HGV training to always check your mirror for cyclists hanging on to your tail before taking off? They must have been winding me up at Fiddes driving school.

I'm going to leave it with this.

The percentage of inconsiderate cyclists I see outnumbers the percentage of inconsiderate drivers.

The example I gave about timing it so that cyclists have to stop at passing places may be inconsiderate but it is stated in the highway code that a cyclist should be given plenty time to stop. It is also safer to pass a stationary cyclist than a mobile one.

My advice to all would be to pick up a highway code, read it, MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND IT, then you will not have to partake in stupid arguments.

Especially you Rico. Your lack of understanding is astounding for a licenced driver.

Why would it be part of the HGV training to always check your mirror for cyclists hanging on to your tail before taking off? They must have been winding me up at Fiddes driving school.

How many you caught attempting to do it?

Archived