Why Are Many Drivers So Anti-Cyclist In This Country?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cycle lanes should be painted on both sides of the rload, but they should be broken lines.

So it will indicate the space cyclists should stay within, but also indicate the minimum amount of distance cars need to give while passing the cyclist.

Doing this will mean no need to widen the roads or add in complicated system of kerbs and lights.

If you want cycle lanes to work, they have to be solid lines and anyone parking, stopping or driving in them should get a fixed penalty.

Problem solved

Sydney_Velo.JPG

Why are so many people bothered about by cyclists on the pavement?

It's illegal, for a start. But I mainly don't like it for the same reason that I wouldn't appreciate cars driving on the pavement - it fucking hurts when they hit you.

Maybe drivers should wear helmets? It would unquestionably make them safer so who could argue against it? Why would drivers not want to wear something that could help prevent injury?

Sitting at some lights a few days ago I saw an old guy driving a BMW wearing a cycling helmet. I'm assuming he had his bike in the boot and was driving out somewhere to go a cycle or something, but it was hilarious nonetheless.

Cycle lanes should be painted on both sides of the rload, but they should be broken lines.

So it will indicate the space cyclists should stay within, but also indicate the minimum amount of distance cars need to give while passing the cyclist.

Doing this will mean no need to widen the roads or add in complicated system of kerbs and lights.

If the purpose of your cycle lane idea is to show motorists how much space to give when passing, it already exists.

It's called "lane dividers".

3) Drivers have to sit tests to drive on the road and also pay a tax to use the road and ensure that their vehicle is of a certain mechanical standard for trave. I think there should be something similar for cyclists. A road use test where a cyclist can only use a road if they pass the test, insurance for cyclists, an MOT as such for a road use bike, if a bike is not roadworth

A large number of those who cycle are children. They have been using the roads with bicycles for well over 100 years without a licesnse. Your ignorance has been displayed by your lie that the majority of cyclists are on the pavement. Your deranged rant is lacking evidence, thought or anything other than the incoherent ramblings of an idiot.

The good news though is those children on bicycles will grow up fitter, healthier, live longer than those who are not cycling. 8)

A lot of 'outsiders' employ this tactic when driving through known shiteholes for their safety.

I personally wear a crash helmet, dust mask, gloves and a condom just to drive through the

East end of Glasgow.

This was in the west end of Glasgow, bizarre behaviour.

You only have to spend five minutes in or around traffic to see that, as groups, pedestrians, cyclists and car drivers include a high number of utter p***ks. And the worst are generally the ones who bitterly complain about the other groups, as they're utterly oblivious to their own shortcomings.

this

A large number of those who cycle are children. They have been using the roads with bicycles for well over 100 years without a licesnse. Your ignorance has been displayed by your lie that the majority of cyclists are on the pavement. Your deranged rant is lacking evidence, thought or anything other than the incoherent ramblings of an idiot.

The good news though is those children on bicycles will grow up fitter, healthier, live longer than those who are not cycling. 8)

I don't think he's ever said that. I did though, but I can understand why you'd get confused when bashing out such a spittle-flecked tirade. Thanks for marking yourself out as one to be ignored.

I drive , but i cycle to/from work most days and it's mostly downhill going there . It really boils my piss when i have to slow down for cars and you cannot overtake the feckers because of the way the twats drive . A wee bit different going home mind you .

I wouldn't want my kids cycling on the road. My kids generally cycle on the pavement.

My main point here is that the road is a dangerous place where cars etc are normally going at a speed far greater than the cyclist. There should be education and courses for both cyclist and driver to teach each other how to behave on the road. There should be mandatory safety items required to be worn / used for all vehicles / modes of transport using the road and all vehicles / modes of transport using the road should be fit to use the road. The most important aspect here is safety. If that means that my child has to pass a cycle / road usage test and the bike have a certificate to be deemed as appropriate for road use, then I'm all for it.

I'd rather see a child off the road than the chance of them being killed by an idiot in a car.

I did like a few of the ideas of people earlier in the thread, a highlighted cycle lane on roads is good.

I would like to see a proper cycle network fit for cyclists to use but I don't see our government shelling out for something that sensible.

Also, thanks for the comments. Nice to see you contribute to the discussion by calling me an idiot but lacking the intelligence to spell the word licence.

As for kids on the path. Where I'm from that is where they cycle, due to the excellent path network we have in Livingston. Probably not something you'd know about in London.

I can see why that might annoy you but if you have a look at some of these so called 'cycle paths' that are essentially pavements at the side of the road a high proportion of these are strewn with glass and other detritus (which coincidentally mostly eminates from passing cars). Stopping to repair a puncture is something you want to avoid at all costs.

Aye, but when you see the state of roads and some of the rubbish thrown at the side of the roads, or the rubbish that a road sweeper sweeps to the edge of that road, you are risking a puncture anyway and If I was a cyclist, I'd rather be repairing a puncture on a pavement than on the side of a road.

Some of the cycle paths are jokes but there are some which are excellent and still not used by the cyclist.

Within the space of 5 mins I've been clipped by a cyclist (who just cycled off as fast he could, the c***) when getting off a bus and nearly run over by a motorist unable to use his/her indicators. Make of that what you will...

Within the space of 5 mins I've been clipped by a cyclist (who just cycled off as fast he could, the c***) when getting off a bus and nearly run over by a motorist unable to use his/her indicators. Make of that what you will...

That you'd probably best be staying indoors?

These things come in threes. You'll probably end up getting hit by a falling satellite.

Personally, I find cyclists fairly irritating. I find they have little regard for other road-users, in general of course. For example, today a member of the Tour de France crew was going along the road, holding everyone up as there was no room to overtake. Finally, everyone was able to squeeze by him despite him taking up an inordinate amount of room. Unfortunately for us, there were lights ahead, which he happily breezed through, only for us to be greeted with the exact same situation for another incredibly long, tedious stretch of road when the lights turned green. This is a typical scenario you might experience on a daily basis with a cyclist. They also tend to swing out in front of you without doing their wee hand gestures they're meant to do. Additionally, you'll often spot them lacking helmets or appropriate high-vis vests.

I like to fly free on the roads and not be impeded by these oddballs. I am very impatient, especially when running late. It's just one of those "petty things that get on your nerves", I suppose. Not really that big a deal.

Personally, I find cyclists fairly irritating. I find they have little regard for other road-users, in general of course. For example, today a member of the Tour de France crew was going along the road, holding everyone up as there was no room to overtake. Finally, everyone was able to squeeze by him despite him taking up an inordinate amount of room. Unfortunately for us, there were lights ahead, which he happily breezed through, only for us to be greeted with the exact same situation for another incredibly long, tedious stretch of road when the lights turned green. This is a typical scenario you might experience on a daily basis with a cyclist. They also tend to swing out in front of you without doing their wee hand gestures they're meant to do. Additionally, you'll often spot them lacking helmets or appropriate high-vis vests.

I like to fly free on the roads and not be impeded by these oddballs. I am very impatient, especially when running late. It's just one of those "petty things that get on your nerves", I suppose. Not really that big a deal.

Why don't you get your free-loading passenger to give them a shove when you eventually manage to overtake them?

Archived