Why Are Many Drivers So Anti-Cyclist In This Country?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are just as many arsehole cyclists as there are arsehole drivers , but if you nearly hit a cyclist the consequences for them are far worse , so your reaction is usually amplified , eg " learn the Highway Code you lentil munching c**t " as opposed to " fucksake look where you're going pal " I'm always patient with cyclists but the large groups of them who just pull out on mass when you have the right of way , all in their identical cycle club gear are feckin twunts I have had numerous near misses with them flocking onto roundabouts / pulling straight out of junctions regardless , they must think that there is safety in numbers I'm lucky to live in a town with lots of off road cycle paths , don't get me started on dog owners walking on one side of the path and the dog 10 feet away on the other side who give you a dirty look for making them push a button on their extendable leads ( lazy b*****ds)

I heard a bit about this subject on the radio the other day.

I am all for cyclists on the road. There are many benefits and hardly any drawbacks, and most of the drawbacks are down to people being idiots and nothing to do with cycling itself.

The rage from some of those against it calling in was pretty staggering. There was the usual pish that cyclists should have to pay road tax and have to pass tests and have a license etc. One guy, who seemed that he was in the middle of a heart attack brought on by pure rage, claimed that cycling was childish and that all those who ride a bike should 'grow up'. What a deeply stupid view.

Anyway, most cyclists are fine. There are some fannies, but I imagine that if they drive as well, they will also be a fanny in their car. There is a very vocal group of motorists who hate cyclists, and most of the time it's due to being caught behind one/a group for all of 20 seconds or so. Are people that impatient? There are some motorists who's irrational hatred of cyclists borders on the criminal in terms of how they behave around those cycling.

Oh and that Traffic Droid guy is a massive tit. He's an utter embarrassment to himself and really should be taken in to custody, or at the very least have his tyres let down and his brakes cut, or failing that a stick in his spokes.

Yeah traffic droid.....

Is it really necessary to dress like you're competing in the Tour de France?

I've noticed that too - I understand it on long bike journeys, but for short ones it strikes me as being no different from a fat bald guy dressing up in full replica kit to wheeze his way through a game of fives.

As far as bloaters go, on the other side of the coin a lot of cyclists don't seem to realise that looking like some sort of etiolated wading bird also isn't a good look.

There's a guy in my work comes in looking like he should have a message tied to his leg.

When I took up cycling, I was adamant I wasn't going to wear Lycra cos I thought it looked daft and for the short rides I went on, around 5 miles or so, it's unnecessary. But as I started going 30, 40, 50 miles and more I discovered shorts with a good pad lessen the pain and tight shorts don't get caught on the saddle every time you stand up and sit down. I also discovered cotton t-shirts hold the sweat in and football tops flap around and ride up your back. So I started buying proper cycling gear and discovered the more you pay, the better the quality in terms of cut, material and wicking properties. I don't go as far as Team Sky gear but if someone does, I can understand why as it's made by Rapha - an Italian company that makes some of the very best gear around.

I've been hit by cyclists a couple of times as a pedestrian. Both times I started crossing the road at a green man and someone on a bike either didn't notice the red light or just tried to go through it by going round me and hit me with their handlebars. It's really painful tbh.

Never had any problems with them as a driver though, if you give them the right space and respect them they tend to do the same to cars in my experience.

I had the joy of being clipped by a cyclist on crossing when the green man was on because they where going so fast they could not stop. Landed on my side and fractured a bone in my elbow and had 4 weeks off sick because of it.

Worrying thing is im quite a big lad weight about 14 and 1/2 stone so tells the pace they where travelling at. If it had been an older person or a child they could have really hurt them.

Reported it to the police next day to be told they cant do anything its a pedestrian collison.

Its guys like that give cyclists a bad name.

They always look like complete dicks.

^^^^

Obviously a bloater

Is it really necessary to dress like you're competing in the Tour de France?

So your statement about all cyclists looking like "complete dicks", is on the basis that in all cyclists dress like they're competing in the TDF !!

Is this any worse than guys wearing football tops to games, or on holiday?

Is this any worse than people wearing "whites" to play tennis?

Is this any worse than people wearing salopettes to ski?

Is this any worse than people buying the latest "designer label" clothing in an attempt to look cool and trendy?

So your statement about all cyclists looking like "complete dicks", is on the basis that in all cyclists dress like they're competing in the TDF !!

Is this any worse than guys wearing football tops to games, or on holiday?

Is this any worse than people wearing "whites" to play tennis?

Is this any worse than people wearing salopettes to ski?

Is this any worse than people buying the latest "designer label" clothing in an attempt to look cool and trendy?

I probably should have said - cyclists that feel the need to dress like they are competing in the Tour de France look like complete dicks.

Just a personal opinion though mate.

Haven't ridden a bike since I was in school.

Anyway enough about my Ex-girlfriend.... :P

I usually give cyclists a wide berth because I'm feart of clipping them with a wing mirror.

I prefer swimming or fitba as a form of exercise.

What a dick, that is 100% his fault but he's looking for someone else to blame.

The guy's a massive tosser. See if you can find a Channel 4 show called 'The Complainers'. He was in one episode and he just comes across as a total arsehole. He's actually a danger to himself and other road users with the shit he does. It was revealed that he was hit by a car whilst cycling once which obviously traumatised and caused him to become this 'Traffic Droid' c**t. It explains but doesn't excuse his actions. He needs mental help to get over his accident.

I'm surprised he hasn't had the shit kicked out of him, or if he has why it hasn't happened on a more frequent basis

I probably should have said - cyclists that feel the need to dress like they are competing in the Tour de France look like complete dicks.

Dressed in Sky Procycling I can confirm they do not look like anyone who was competing in this Tour de France.

I've never once seen a pedestrian being hit by a cyclist on the pavement. In fact I don't often see cyclists on pavements (although obviously I have seen it a few times).

In summary; you're lying or are a statistical phenomenon.

I dont take kindly to being called a liar and doubt very much whether I am a statistical phenomenon, a phenomenon possibly, but a statistical one, no way.

Given that I work in a University and the amount of bikes in this area is statistically very high I am pretty sure the likelihood of being hit by one would be higher than in other areas. I did a small straw poll in the faculty office yesterday and of the 9 people in there 4 had been hit by cyclists while on a pedestrian footpath, one had narrowly avoided being hit that very morning, as she crossed the road, by a cyclist who decided traffic lights do not apply to him.

The general opinion in that office was that cyclists are ignorant b*****ds.

The recent beatification of cycling and cyclists in the media absolutely mystifies me.

Two recentish near misses for me too - one who turned on a red light on Argyle St, and the other in the West End while getting money out of a bank situated on a corner. On the pavement.

Both cases, it was heads down for a quick getaway before I could "remonstrate" with them.

Given that I work in a University and the amount of bikes in this area is statistically very high

Ah, there's your problem. It's not cyclists per se, it's students. You're surrounded by immature fuds full of their own importance who think the world owes them a living so it's no surprise they ride bikes with the wrong attitude.

I've never once seen a pedestrian being hit by a cyclist on the pavement. In fact I don't often see cyclists on pavements (although obviously I have seen it a few times).

In every place I've ever lived, the vast majority of cyclists rode on the pavement, both adult and child. The only exception to this was the South-West of America, where I don't remember seeing any cyclists at all.

I've also seen people knocked over by cyclists, and had plenty of near misses myself. It's always young men with no protective gear whatsoever, who presumably established that they could do whatever they wanted on a bike when they were kids, and continue to do so. It's mystifying to me, as they're just as likely to be hurt by a collision.

The main difference between car drivers and cyclists is that it's much harder to hit someone in a car and get away with it. If car drivers generally aren't as reckless, that's the only reason.

Archived