Why Are Many Drivers So Anti-Cyclist In This Country?

I know that,but unfortunately many drivers don't.

You're once again making wrong assumptions that everyone has a nightly w**k over The Highway Code , as seems to be the case as far as you're concerned.

Honestly mate that book is a lifesaver. Not only that if people read it, understood it and followed it then there would be no reason for groups of road users to take umbridge with one and other. You would not have had to ask the question in your OP

You seem to think I am down on cyclists, I am not. I hate poor road users and whilst there are many in every group the percentages seem higher in the groups who have no madatory training. It would stand to reason that this is the case.

If I am wrong accept my apology.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly mate that book is a lifesaver. Not only that if people read it, understood it and followed it then there would be no reason for groups of road users to take umbridge with one and other. You would not have had to ask the question in your OP

You seem to think I am down on cyclists, I am not. I hate poor road users and whilst there are many in every group the percentages seem higher in the groups who have no madatory training. It would stand to reason that this is the case.

If I am wrong accept my apology.

But that's my exact point!!.

I asked why so many drivers are anti cyclists, even if they do abide by the law.

The answer is simple, its because they see an irresponsible or dangerous cyclist, they then class them all the same .

I drive as well and I see many more examples of bad drivers than bad cyclists.

I agree there's bad examples on each side, but I believe its the drivers who need to be educated and more tolerant of cyclists, as its they who are in control of a vehicle which is much more likely to cause serious injury or death

How many cars constitute 'traffic'? If there is only one car behind a cyclist, why should the cyclist pull over and let the car pass? It's not holding up traffic; in fact it's really not holding up anyone, just causing the car to get somewhere a bit slower.

If I was on a bike and there were quite a few cars/vans/buses/lorries/etc behind me then I would pull over and let them pass.

So many people don't like cyclists simply because they are impatient fannies who can't handle getting 'delayed' for 30 seconds. They'll cry about 'lyrca clad aresholes' and bring up things like cyclists jumping red lights and isolated incidents, but the truth is that most people who 'hate' cyclists do so because they are impatient fools.

In my example, one which I encounter regularly with living in the sticks, there are passing places on single track roads (roads wide enough for a single vehicle, I am not describing single carriageways where traffic can flow in two directions) in order to overtake or pass an oncoming vehicle one vehicle or the other needs to draw into a passing place.

Most are wide enough to squeeze past a bicycle but this should not be done as you deny them enough room and they could fall easily.

I am not rude enough to try to squeeze past cyclists why would they be rude enough to keep me behind them after two or three opportunities to let them pass.

In my example, one which I encounter regularly with living in the sticks, there are passing places on single track roads (roads wide enough for a single vehicle, I am not describing single carriageways where traffic can flow in two directions) in order to overtake or pass an oncoming vehicle one vehicle or the other needs to draw into a passing place.

Most are wide enough to squeeze past a bicycle but this should not be done as you deny them enough room and they could fall easily.

I am not rude enough to try to squeeze past cyclists why would they be rude enough to keep me behind them after two or three opportunities to let them pass.

Because they're bad cyclists!!

It doesnt make all of us Lycra clad p***ks as many on here seem to think.

We're also easy targets for shitebags cocooned and protected in their metal boxes

But that's my exact point!!.

I asked why so many drivers are anti cyclists, even if they do abide by the law.

The answer is simple, its because they see an irresponsible or dangerous cyclist, they then class them all the same .

I drive as well and I see many more examples of bad drivers than bad cyclists.

I agree there's bad examples on each side, but I believe its the drivers who need to be educated and more tolerant of cyclists, as its they who are in control of a vehicle which is much more likely to cause serious injury or death

Eh? All drivers ARE educated. Not all cyclists are.

Education is all well and good. It's what you do with the education that matters.

Of all the educated road users there will be an even amount of ignorant arses in each group percentagewise who forget their training and do what they want. Then take into consideration that cyclists also have a percentage of ignorant riders through lack of training meaning that the percentage of cyclists who are blighted by ignorance, whether deliberate or through lack of training, has to be greater.

Because they're bad cyclists!!

It doesnt make all of us Lycra clad p***ks as many on here seem to think.

We're also easy targets for shitebags cocooned and protected in their metal boxes

That's my point. Bad cyclists see me making them stop at a passing place as something to get mad at, good cyclists see me as giving them plenty of room and an opportunity to stop and be passed safely.

Now that your seethe has settled, what kind of cyclist do you think you are and could you improve?

Eh? All drivers ARE educated. Not all cyclists are.

Nope. 1 in 40 drivers have never passed a test and drive without a licence - that's 800,000 people running around in two ton killing machines.

As I pointed out earlier, 80% of adult cyclists have a driving licence.

So it would be more accurate to say not all drivers or cyclists have passed an exam to show they understand the rules of the road.

Nope. 1 in 40 drivers have never passed a test and drive without a licence - that's 800,000 people running around in two ton killing machines.

As I pointed out earlier, 80% of adult cyclists have a driving licence.

So it would be more accurate to say not all drivers or cyclists have passed an exam to show they understand the rules of the road.

80% of adult cyclists have a licence but what percentage of cyclists are adult? We are talking about all road users, you are trying to manipulate the stats.

I will give you that not all drivers are legal but you are trying to manipulate the stats again. What percemtage of unlicenced drivers are untrained? How many have had training and failed? How many have had their licence revoked?

My statement should have read all legal drivers have had training not all legal cyclists have had training.

Oh I see, we're talking about lycra-clad irresponsible CHILDREN on bikes now? Do you think children should be licensed? I took my grandson for his first bike yesterday. He's 3 years old, do you think he'd be allowed to use his own crayons? Obviously I won't be letting him cycle on the pavement as that drives people nuts and he'd probably kill a pensioner or something. Do you regularly drive behind cycling children getting all riled up and sounding your horn at them?

For the purposes of this discussion, obviously we're talking about adults.

As for trying to manipulate stuff, that's you mate. If you've had training and failed, that's pretty much a definition of uneducated. Being told stuff isn't enough, you have to show you understand it. If you're dumb enough to repeatedly offend to the point where you've had your licence revoked, you're pretty much uneducated.

But, using your argument, how many of the 20% of adult cyclists who don't have a licence have had training and failed? How many have had their licences revoked?

Oh I see, we're talking about lycra-clad irresponsible CHILDREN on bikes now? Do you think children should be licensed? I took my grandson for his first bike yesterday. He's 3 years old, do you think he'd be allowed to use his own crayons? Obviously I won't be letting him cycle on the pavement as that drives people nuts and he'd probably kill a pensioner or something. Do you regularly drive behind cycling children getting all riled up and sounding your horn at them?

For the purposes of this discussion, obviously we're talking about adults.

As for trying to manipulate stuff, that's you mate. If you've had training and failed, that's pretty much a definition of uneducated. Being told stuff isn't enough, you have to show you understand it. If you're dumb enough to repeatedly offend to the point where you've had your licence revoked, you're pretty much uneducated.

But, using your argument, how many of the 20% of adult cyclists who don't have a licence have had training and failed? How many have had their licences revoked?

I am guessing by your determination to pick an argument you are indeed one of those incosiderate p***ks who just happens to wear lycra as well and thinks they own the road.

I'll be delighted to see the seethe you put into this post replicated on your face when we meet at a passing place as you struggle to get you toes out of their safety belts.

FWIW kids should not be allowed near a road which has the national speed limit without either a national cycling proficiency test or the company of someone who has in my opinion and that goes for adults too.

That's my point. Bad cyclists see me making them stop at a passing place as something to get mad at, good cyclists see me as giving them plenty of room and an opportunity to stop and be passed safely.

Now that your seethe has settled, what kind of cyclist do you think you are and could you improve?

I was starting to try and give you a bit of slack here mate, but you continue to make a total c**t of yourself by changing stance

I'm actually begining to think you have quite serious issues

Let's just agree to disagree

I was starting to try and give you a bit of slack here mate, but you continue to make a total c**t of yourself by changing stance

I'm actually begining to think you have quite serious issues

Let's just agree to disagree

What part of my post do you disagree with? Can you give examples of where I change ny stance as I don't believe I have.

A blast of the horn is the recognised signal to alert other road users to your presence. If a slower vehicle does not give way at a passing place then it can be assumed they do not know you are there. Most bicycles do not have mirrors these days I have,noticed.

Another place I used my horn are those narrow humpy back bridges. Believe it or not cyclists on the other side are my main consideration then too.

Sounds like you drive your HGV far too fast down country lanes and go over single track blind summits far too fast but its all OK 'cos you sound your horn so anyone you kill will be to blame for not getting out of the way.

You really should read the highway code.

Sounds like you drive your HGV far too fast down country lanes and go over single track blind summits far too fast but its all OK 'cos you sound your horn so anyone you kill will be to blame for not getting out of the way.

You really should read the highway code.

You really are shit at this jock

If this thread has demonstrated anything it's that cyclists and utter cvnts on the road and internet forums.

No it does not. Not all cyclists are the type of cvnt who will argue points in contradiction to the law on internet forums. The majority are well grounded individuals, law abiding and considerate of others. Most don't wear lycra either.

EDIT I just re-read your post, is that "and" meant to be "are" or is your post meant to mean something else?

No it does not. Not all cyclists are the type of cvnt who will argue points in contradiction to the law on internet forums. The majority are well grounded individuals, law abiding and considerate of others. Most don't wear lycra either.

EDIT I just re-read your post, is that "and" meant to be "are" or is your post meant to mean something else?

Should read "are"

Most don't wear lycra either.

Whats with the lycra hate? It is pretty common choice for people to wear as cycling cloths, especially among the women cyclists. Perhaps it is because men in pro tops and the like stand out more, they just attract attention. In my experience the club cyclist type tends to be among the most road aware, have among the best handling skills and often the more law abiding. You get your stand outs who act like bell ends but as a group you know when you have one ahead of you what they will do next.

There are some types of cyclist who will tend to have more bad cyclists than others, but its not the club cyclists.

How many you caught attempting to do it?

Someone I know did this as a kid and got dragged under the wheels.

He was lucky to survive, had to have his skull cracked open to relieve the swelling and still walks with a limp.

Archived