Dundee FC vs Kilmarnock - 09/08/2014

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll surprise a few people this season.

Last year was a bit of an anomoly. A manager coming in with zero charisma (well, in comparison to Shiels) with an assistant manager that is roundly disliked by the support. The football on show was very poor for the majority of the season, and a group of fans were boycotting the club which led to home games being hard work and away games becoming fractious. I genuinely believe that had we finished where we did but by playing a more attractive style of football then AJ wouldn't be getting half the stick that he did.

There were positives though, and those will benefit us this year - plenty of youth players got promoted to the first team and played a fair bit e.g. and as such Rory McKenzie, Chris Johnston, Craig Slater, Robbie Muirhead, Lee Ashcroft, Greg Kiltie and Mark O'Hara will all benefit from the experience of last term. The toxicity of Sandy Clark has been removed, and Gary Locke (very popular amongst the players) will be a much more positive influence on the team and the manager. I've seen us play twice this pre-season and in both games we've played the ball on the deck. The reports from every other game say the same thing too, which is very positive. Our signings, whilst not exactly fancy-dan, will benefit the very talented crop of kids at the club. All have experience at a decent level, and most have SPL/Premiership experience to boot.

To be completely honest about the rumoured Eremenko signing, I'm still in the same boat I was in when he re-appeared last season. He's still the most naturally gifted footballer I've seen in stripes, and it's natural to yearn to see that again. But he was poor last year (one or two games aside) and has missed all of pre-season by remaining in Helsinki. If he can sign either within our budget or by being funded by Bowie then I'd be willing to give him one last chance. A full season to get fit and shine with the ball on the deck. We've been playing with a 4-4-2 in pre-season, with two deeper midfielders (usually Slater and Hamill) so to include Eremenko would mean a change of system. I guess we could play Eremenko as the deeper striker, with a pacy forward like McKenzie or Magennis playing off him. That would rely on him being a lot fitter however.

Rory McKenzie and Chris Johnston will be our star players IMO, with the latter ending up playing in the middle should we not sign Losa. Magennis will surprise plenty this year, and I fancy him to reach double figures - especially with the service Eremenko can give him if he gets back to his best. I think we'll draw or lose on the opening day, and struggle for the few games after that but then go on a winning streak that takes us up the table. If I'm calling it now, then I think we'll finish top of the bottom six.

Cheers QLP.

I make that 8 teams finishing 7th!!

That's optimism at its finest considering you only finished 9th last season and losing a player the calibre of Kris Boyd who netted a whole third of your goals scored total and replaced him with Josh Magennis. Whether you think Magennis will surprise or not, he's been a proven failure in this league for quite a while. I can see it potentially being a very difficult season for Killie. And that's if Eremenko does sign on.

There's a constant misrepresentation on here that we have replaced Boyd with Magennis. We have replaced him with Lee Miller, who is a very capable player.

craigkillie, on 04 Aug 2014 - 19:14, said:

There's a constant misrepresentation on here that we have replaced Boyd with Magennis. We have replaced him with Lee Miller, who is a very capable player.

No misrepresentation at all. Miller will not get near Boyd's tally either.

Just checked the suspension list and Jamie Hamill for Killie is suspended whilst Roberts will miss out for us.

So you've replaced Boyd (25 G/per season) with Lee Miller who averages around 10 G/per season? Not very good, but it was always going to be hard to replace him.

Of course Miller isn't going to score 20+ goals this season. However, he does have it in him to score 12-15goals, while McKenzie could score 10+. How our defence performs this season will be the key aspect on whether we finish 7th or 12th.

Of course Miller isn't going to score 20+ goals this season. However, he does have it in him to score 12-15goals, while McKenzie could score 10+. How our defence performs this season will be the key aspect on whether we finish 7th or 12th.

How is your defence looking? Who will play LB for you on Sat?

How is your defence looking? Who will play LB for you on Sat?

Connolly the new signing looks like the real deal. We've had Jamie McAllister and Chris Chantler on trial, and if one of them signs (hopefully McAllister) then he'll play. If not, then I imagine it'll be O'Hara.

On what basis does QLP think magennis will surprise a few? He's been utterly shite at this level with St Mirren and Aberdeen. Is this just a hunch or is there method behind the madness? It's not as if he burst onto the scene and showed a bit of talent before fading away. He's always been shite.

Dundee have a player that has been consistently shite in Scotland. McPake, and. I'd say he's worse. You also have average players in Roberts, Ferry and Thomson that (bar Thomsons early days) have done nothing in Scotland. You have an average striker with a poor record in Germany's 4th tier that NDD is meeting for strapon fun 5 times a week. You have a keeper that can't catch, and you expect to finish in the top 6?

Just calm down Dundee fans, calm the f**k down.

Dundee have a player that has been consistently shite in Scotland. McPake, and. I'd say he's worse. You also have average players in Roberts, Ferry and Thomson that (bar Thomsons early days) have done nothing in Scotland. You have an average striker with a poor record in Germany's 4th tier that NDD is meeting for strapon fun 5 times a week. You have a keeper that can't catch, and you expect to finish in the top 6?

BJ; dr

BarraJag, on 04 Aug 2014 - 20:38, said:

Head's gone ^.

With what I have seen so far of Tankulic, Thomson and Ferry they have been better than average. Haven't seen too much of McPake but what I have seen he looks decent.

Thomson has been bought for £2,000,000 twice and looks excellent.

You keep mentioning Tankulic was brought in from the lower leagues of Germany but this has no relevance whatsoever on how he will fair in the Scottish game. You are better reserving judgement until at least a few games into the season.

I see the Morecambe fans aren't too impressed with Killie from their recent friendly:

I think your been generous there it's the smallest away crowd I have ever seen at the Globe it felt like a reserve game at times. I thought Killie would bring a fair few considering Dundee brought 600 but maybe to short notice for them.

I thought it might have been a good crowd with it been our last friendly and against a Scottish Prem team.

About 75 from Killie (and a few idiots who felt the need to invade the pitch when they scored icon_evil.gif )

Killie are short in number (50) but long on alcohol judging by their gate!! seen a bit of bother earlier

Source: Morecambe forum.

Archived