Internet Speed

Romeo

If fibre is available in your area then check Virgin.

I think you're confusing two different things. The fibre shown on the BT/Sky etc websites is FTTC, basically an upgrade on ADSL.

Whether or not thats available will make no difference to whether or not you can get Virgin fibre

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I thought about this, but I don't have a phone line installed. We had originally went with sky as the missus got us a good discount because if her job for the full TV and broadband package..but after they sent out our sky router they actually cancelled our line rental and broadband (obviously because we don't have a phone line installed yet!) I could have got BT out to fit a phone line but they want £130 to fit it! This £130 is wiped if you take out their broadband though (Giving us an estimated speed of 1mbps to 3.5mbps) talk about sucking me in...

It really looks like I've no choice but to go with BT, because of the budget I'm on... :(

The fact you don't have a phone line is probably why they are saying you can't get fibre. When I moved to my current flat about 18 months ago I was told I couldn't get fibre. I knew this was BS and told them that I was sure I could. However I took up the standard broadband but within a few weeks they were calling me to tell me that I could get fibre. Apparently as my phone line was inactive when I placed my original order they couldn't confirm if I could get fibre or not.

The fact you don't have a phone line is probably why they are saying you can't get fibre. When I moved to my current flat about 18 months ago I was told I couldn't get fibre. I knew this was BS and told them that I was sure I could. However I took up the standard broadband but within a few weeks they were calling me to tell me that I could get fibre. Apparently as my phone line was inactive when I placed my original order they couldn't confirm if I could get fibre or not.

Ah, this maybe will help considerably! Thank you my friend! P&b to the rescue! Looks like I'll just go with BT the now, have the option to include BT sport on my sky box for an extra fiver, so silver linings and all that! :)

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned before i have been in the flat a year and a half now and the broadband has always been poor compared to our last flat where i had virgin and was getting 13 mb/s easy. I didn't really care for the first year as it was good enough to stream live matches and for both of us to do coursework etc but would always be about 2 mb/s every time i did a speed check

This year i have been getting more and more sick of the poor service but only contacted them once and it got a bit better and hadn't bothered since, the summer months it was particularly poor but didn't bother chasing up as i was working and couldn't be bothered with the hassle and decided i would leave it til i went back to uni before contacting them. I was getting roughly 1 mb/s, a lot of time it was less than that. Every game i have tried to watch on sky go and al the US open tennis has been ruined and i have just given up so its been pretty bad. Was going to be phoning them up today and giving them what for and threatening to leave until my Dad was staying with us last night and i told him the dilema, he then looked about into our wee cupboard with our services in it and suggested to plug it into that connector as it was the main one to the flat so we did that and hey presto the signal shot up to 13 mb/s

Stuff like that happens to me all the time

• 1 month later...

Well a bit of an update in my situation. I've now got normal speed broadband. When I say normal I mean about 1.75mbps...

About a month ago I checked the broadband speed checker for my phone line and it said that fibre was "available" in my exchange. Great I thought, so right enough went onto BT website to upgrade and yeah it said I was now in a Fibre area. So went through the whole process to upgrade. Great, smooth upgrade. They sent my the new Hub on the Friday (27th) and said my fibre would be enabled the following Tuesday before midnight.

Tuesday came, nothing. I phoned BT, and was pasted about from pillar to post before finally them saying that there was a problem at my exchange. I then went back on the broadband speed checker and the fibre part was no longer available. Very strange.

They organised a call back for Monday past there. Didn't call. Kept texting saying they would phone me within the next five minutes. Didn't happen.

Finally got a text today to say that "as previously discussed" (em no) that BT infinity is not currently available in my area, and that my order is now cancelled and I'll be just continuing on my normal subscription.

What an utter farce.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just got BT infinity in. Internet in my area sucks but I've jumped from 3 Mbps to 20 Mbps so pretty happy. Installed a 16 GB update on my Xbox in about 90 mins which would've been a 5 hour job previously.

55 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Thats rubbish for Infinity

Probably on an EO cable.  20Mbps is the most you'll get.  I was exactly the same, getting about 3Mbps until they upgraded me now I get about 17.  It's not "Infinity" as such but "Faster broadband".  They're installing fibre cabinets in the exchanges for the EO cables.

Archived