Internet Speed

Romeo

Try switching to a different Steam server?

I'm logged into Manchester, and bought Alien: Isolation yesterday (£6.39 from GetGamesGo, FWIW). Didn't notice what the download rate was, but it popped up as finished after about twenty minutes. It's over 23GB :blink:

Also, I think Steam measures transfer rate in megabytes per second, as opposed to the standard megabits in network transmission. If so, your 5MBps would actually be about 40Mbps (capital B=bytes, lower case b=bits).

Bang on, I wondered if it was a different scale.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish I had the possibility of getting fibre broadband anytime soon - but that's not very likely.

The local exchange is fibre enabled, I live 0.2 miles from the exchange in a flat built less than 5 years ago.

You would think with all that I could reasonably expect to get infinity - but oh no, that would be far too simple !!

BT Openreach, in their infinite wisdom, when they installed the lines to these properties they installed copper cables - direct from the exchange.

The fact that the cable from the exchange to the properties has to pass 4 cabinets on the way, all of which are fibre enabled is simply extracting the urine - big time !!

How BT Openreach could decide 5 years ago that copper was the way to go is simply baffling !!

Wish I had the possibility of getting fibre broadband anytime soon - but that's not very likely.

The local exchange is fibre enabled, I live 0.2 miles from the exchange in a flat built less than 5 years ago.

You would think with all that I could reasonably expect to get infinity - but oh no, that would be far too simple !!

BT Openreach, in their infinite wisdom, when they installed the lines to these properties they installed copper cables - direct from the exchange.

The fact that the cable from the exchange to the properties has to pass 4 cabinets on the way, all of which are fibre enabled is simply extracting the urine - big time !!

How BT Openreach could decide 5 years ago that copper was the way to go is simply baffling !!

Surely, your speed must be pretty decent anyway? You are effectively 0.2 miles from a fibre enabled cabinet

I'm glad I have now migrated from SKY to BT and seen my average of 4mb connection not being secretly throttled by SKY's own servers. Before I migrated my router would show around a 4mb connection but my maximum download speed at any time was throttled to either 2.6mb and even worse at times 1.6mb, I was paying for 4mb and at times seeing it throttled by well over 50% even though I have a shitty 4mb maximum connection. SKY are robbing bassas IMHO.

For those with SKY and I have spoken to many of my neighbours you may probably find that the connection speed you router shows you is not actually the full download speed SKY will actually give you. What SKY do is reroute your signal from the BT server to their servers and this is where your connection speed gets throttled on the fly.

I wonder if any other SKY customers have experienced this problem ?, where your router tells you you are getting X amount of speed but your actual download speed is vastly slower than is promised from your router.

If you use bit-torrent it is usually a good indicator your being throttled because your bit-torrent program download speed will max out at either the speed your getting or at the speed you are being throttled at.

Surely, your speed must be pretty decent anyway? You are effectively 0.2 miles from a fibre enabled cabinet

The cabinet I'm connected to is just less than 200 metres from my home but still I only get 4mb maximum ?.

Even more infuriating is that there is a mainstream fibre optic cable in the main road metres away from the cabinet, I mean this fibre optic super highway that is Gigahertz wide and just a few metres away from the cabinet that is less then 200 metres from my home can't give me any more than 4 fucking mbs ARGHHH.

It's gets even more stupid after I asked a BT engineer working on the cabinet why my speed was so slow when there was the biggest fibre optic cable for miles around just metres away from the cabinet. The super dooper lightening fast fibre optic cable only serves one thing ?, The shopping centre that was recently built in my area and the fibre optic cable only goes to the shopping centre alone for over a mile and a half. Where as the cabinet has a separate place it is connected to itself and not directly into the sooper dooper lightening fast fibre optic cable just metres away form the box.

I miss Virgin. Can only get SKY or BT where I live now though :(

Although in fairness, despite some folk slating SKY on here, I haven't had any issues or reasons to complain about their broadband. Only thing I miss is having TIVO with Virgin.

My SKY connection was solid, it was just the speed that was the problem. It wasn't what the router said I should have been getting.

I'm glad I have now migrated from SKY to BT and seen my average of 4mb connection not being secretly throttled by SKY's own servers. Before I migrated my router would show around a 4mb connection but my maximum download speed at any time was throttled to either 2.6mb and even worse at times 1.6mb, I was paying for 4mb and at times seeing it throttled by well over 50% even though I have a shitty 4mb maximum connection. SKY are robbing bassas IMHO.

For those with SKY and I have spoken to many of my neighbours you may probably find that the connection speed you router shows you is not actually the full download speed SKY will actually give you. What SKY do is reroute your signal from the BT server to their servers and this is where your connection speed gets throttled on the fly.

I wonder if any other SKY customers have experienced this problem ?, where your router tells you you are getting X amount of speed but your actual download speed is vastly slower than is promised from your router.

If you use bit-torrent it is usually a good indicator your being throttled because your bit-torrent program download speed will max out at either the speed your getting or at the speed you are being throttled at.

I had exactly this on sky fibre. Router synced at 40 but I never got much more than 20. Their tech support didn't want to know and there's loads of people on their forums with the same problem!

I switched to Infinity and am now getting closer to 60 genuine

The cabinet I'm connected to is just less than 200 metres from my home but still I only get 4mb maximum ?.

Even more infuriating is that there is a mainstream fibre optic cable in the main road metres away from the cabinet, I mean this fibre optic super highway that is Gigahertz wide and just a few metres away from the cabinet that is less then 200 metres from my home can't give me any more than 4 fucking mbs ARGHHH.

It's gets even more stupid after I asked a BT engineer working on the cabinet why my speed was so slow when there was the biggest fibre optic cable for miles around just metres away from the cabinet. The super dooper lightening fast fibre optic cable only serves one thing ?, The shopping centre that was recently built in my area and the fibre optic cable only goes to the shopping centre alone for over a mile and a half. Where as the cabinet has a separate place it is connected to itself and not directly into the sooper dooper lightening fast fibre optic cable just metres away form the box.

Presumably the cabinet isn't connected by fibre then

I had exactly this on sky fibre. Router synced at 40 but I never got much more than 20. Their tech support didn't want to know and there's loads of people on their forums with the same problem!

I switched to Infinity and am now getting closer to 60 genuine

Presumably the cabinet isn't connected by fibre then

Some dumbass SKY technician let the cat out of the bag about my internets routing during a phone call to SKY, said I was being rerouted to SKY's new servers in Glasgow and that is why my internet speed had went down to which I promptly said to him so your throttling my speed then ?, and he babbled on and then eventually put me on hold because he was making a cnut of it. :lol: It's profiteering pure & simple so they pay less for their internet traffic.

My cabinet ?, the engineer was installing fibre cables in it ???, said I should see an increase in my speed ! I went from 2.4mb up to nearly 4mb :unsure2: Is it possible there are too many customers connected to this optic cable and why I only seen a 40% increase in my speed ? Or knowing my luck the cabinet down the road isn't the cabinet I'm connected too and the next cabinet is half a mile away and I'm connected to that. :blink:

Some dumbass SKY technician let the cat out of the bag about my internets routing during a phone call to SKY, said I was being rerouted to SKY's new servers in Glasgow and that is why my internet speed had went down to which I promptly said to him so your throttling my speed then ?, and he babbled on and then eventually put me on hold because he was making a cnut of it. :lol: It's profiteering pure & simple so they pay less for their internet traffic.

My cabinet ?, the engineer was installing fibre cables in it ???, said I should see an increase in my speed ! I went from 2.4mb up to nearly 4mb :unsure2: Is it possible there are too many customers connected to this optic cable and why I only seen a 40% increase in my speed ? Or knowing my luck the cabinet down the road isn't the cabinet I'm connected too and the next cabinet is half a mile away and I'm connected to that. :blink:

Have you upgraded to Infinity? Im not sure what it is they do, but you have to actually upgrade to see the benefit of FTTC

Have you upgraded to Infinity? Im not sure what it is they do, but you have to actually upgrade to see the benefit of FTTC

I can't upgrade to Infinity because it isn't available in my area, sadly. While you were complaining about only getting 20mb when you should been getting 40mb I'd have bit your fingers off to get 10mb. :lol:

It has something to do with the housing estate I live in, not sure what it is but it's location could be described as rural even though I live in the city. So it is guaranteed I'll be one of the last in Glasgow to be that will see any dramatic upgrades to the internet. Even more infuriating is that there's a big fcuk off sooper dooper fibre optic loom that is Gigahertz wide is less than 200 metres away from my home. :bairn

Rumours are BT are going to build another exchange near my home to deal with the increasing new housing estates appearing like mushrooms in the dark not far away. :)

My neighbour took our complaint all the way at BT regarding BT Openreach and their stupid decision to install new copper all the way to the exchange - less than 5 years ago.

He got a call from the big boss man's secretary who advised he was not best pleased at all - and he wants answers.

We have been promised answers and hopefully a solution by the end of April.

We shall see.

Why can't the Internet come through an airborn signal just like the television programmes do through an antenna or a satellite dish?

The problem with airborne especially in Glasgow is that you get over 1 million subscribers and the UHF/VHF frequency won't be able to handle the bandwidth of information as well as signal disruption with atmospheric conditions, TV signals, mobile phone signals etc in the air.

You can subscribe for satellite internet but it's extremely expensive at the moment and is usually businesses that use it, the speeds of download & upload are very high if you pay through the nose for it.

Another option but needs a complete overhaul of the BT network is to all digital even on a copper wire, upload speeds can then be matched by download speeds but the expense is astronomical to overhaul the network as well as disruption to everyone until it settles down.

In other words !, like it or lump it unfortunately.

The problem with airborne especially in Glasgow is that you get over 1 million subscribers and the UHF/VHF frequency won't be able to handle the bandwidth of information as well as signal disruption with atmospheric conditions, TV signals, mobile phone signals etc in the air.

^^^ this.

Using the old analogue TV frequencies, you'd end up with enough bandwidth to send plain text messages back and forth to your mates, assuming the network wasn't too busy.

Don't you young laddies with your portable telephonic devices used them for internet access these days anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

Ive actually had enough of the shite internet we get in the flat - we live in the city centre and i have never had more than 4 mb/s right now its at 1.5 and i can't get the football watched without it skipping all the time.

Phoned BT and they said they would boost it but it hardly makes a difference. Might go into virgin and see what they have to say, or Sky who apparently pay the cancelation fee for you just so you switch

Ive actually had enough of the shite internet we get in the flat - we live in the city centre and i have never had more than 4 mb/s right now its at 1.5 and i can't get the football watched without it skipping all the time.

Phoned BT and they said they would boost it but it hardly makes a difference. Might go into virgin and see what they have to say, or Sky who apparently pay the cancelation fee for you just so you switch

I'd avoid SKY even though they will pay for your migration, in my experience and with others I know outside P&B they throttle your download speed on the fly. You connect to the net and your router will tell what speed you are connected to on the BT servers and then your traffic is redirected to SKY's own servers and this is where the bassas are really sneaky and throttle your download speed, also slows down your internet pages loading up.

Have you tried a new signal splitter ?, maybe it's a bit fried. Or may even be any cables connected between the wall and the router that need replacing. I'd try this first just in case it was that simple a problem.

I've switched over to BT and now I get my full download speed my router says I should.

I'd avoid SKY even though they will pay for your migration, in my experience and with others I know outside P&B they throttle your download speed on the fly. You connect to the net and your router will tell what speed you are connected to on the BT servers and then your traffic is redirected to SKY's own servers and this is where the bassas are really sneaky and throttle your download speed, also slows down your internet pages loading up.

Have you tried a new signal splitter ?, maybe it's a bit fried. Or may even be any cables connected between the wall and the router that need replacing. I'd try this first just in case it was that simple a problem.

I've switched over to BT and now I get my full download speed my router says I should.

Im sorry but what is a signal splitter? If BT got their act together I'm still happy as the deal includes Sky Sports but you go on their website and their offering 32 mb/s for less than we pay now!!

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to get about 59mb/s but only get about 4-6mb/s on a good day. I think it's down to the location of my house and possibly the telephone mast/centre for our area not been upgraded in years? Could be shite.

Archived