Does anyone here believe we can't use the pound?

gazelle

I know that but presumably you have links or interests in Scotland. It's interesting; your views on this and the lack of straight answers

How can anyone give guarantees on what the exact currency structure is going to be before negotiations have even started? The SNP have clearly stated their preferred option, and plan B, C and D. Westminster just says naw. After a Yes vote they'll have to start working out a smooth transition for their own interests, and ours.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can anyone give guarantees on what the exact currency structure is going to be before negotiations have even started? The SNP have clearly stated their preferred option, and plan B, C and D. Westminster just says naw. After a Yes vote they'll have to start working out a smooth transition for their own interests, and ours.

Exactly on how can anyone know? That extends to everything that the Yes campaign has said. That might be partisan and i admit that but it's accurate

Exactly on how can anyone know? That extends to everything that the Yes campaign has said. That might be partisan and i admit that but it's accurate

BT can't even promise staying in Europe or Scottish MP's voting rights in Westminster after a No vote, but you expect the Yes campaign to guarantee the results of negotiations 18 months ahead of schedule and before they've even started?

It's the UK that is a member state of the EU not the four seperate Nations. The UK will still exist if Scotland goes independent.

ETA: if Scotland goes independent I wouldn't want us using the Euro for similar reasons to not wanting to use the Pound.

And Scotland is part of Europe and the EU.

At no point can it be removed from that without the consent of its people.

only as part of the UK as the UK holds the membership.

The UK would still exist but as England, Wales and Northern Ireland.........just like it did when Ireland gained Independence.

No it won't mate. We have to reapply for membership; the Spanish interior minister was interviewed on Newsnight last night and estimated timescale in 5 years

I don't doubt for a minute that we'd have to reapply for EU membership but the UK would still exist but as England, Wales & Northern Ireland.

The example is when Ireland left through independence last Century.

I don't doubt for a minute that we'd have to reapply for EU membership but the UK would still exist but as England, Wales & Northern Ireland.

The example is when Ireland left through independence last Century.

I hear what you're saying but the EU has never had the situation where 5 million people could be stripped of EU citizenship.

I hear what you're saying but the EU has never had the situation where 5 million people could be stripped of EU citizenship.

I also hear what you are saying and I don't have any doubt that an iScotland would have any issues in (re)joining except possibly the possible currency issue.

I'm sure there would be strong opposition against it being a case of remaining within the EU by Countries such as Spain who are keen to retain Catalunia and the Basque Regions.

That's not what the Scottish Government's white paper says.

It says that negotiations about Scotland's membership of the EU need to take place in the interim period before independence while Scotland is still part of the UK and, therefore, still part of the EU.

It goes on to say that the suitable legal route for Scotland's admission into the EU is by using Article 48 of the Treaty of the European Union whereby existing treaties can be renegotiated. The downside of this is that it required unanimous approval by all member states. Which means we're back to trying to convince Spain to let us join :-S

BT can't even promise staying in Europe or Scottish MP's voting rights in Westminster after a No vote, but you expect the Yes campaign to guarantee the results of negotiations 18 months ahead of schedule and before they've even started?

The SNP/Yes campaign haven't provided an answer to the basic questions like currency and I'd have thought they'd have a definite plan which maps out their approach including the inclusion of decision trees in a process map that we can all scrutinize but no they haven't. Their approach has been to ask us all to gamble on them knowing what they're doing

only as part of the UK as the UK holds the membership.

The UK would still exist but as England, Wales and Northern Ireland.........just like it did when Ireland gained Independence.

You do realise that the rUK will have to renegotiate too,then don't you?

A lot of the deals they struck in the EU where through the use of Scottish resources.

Ooooffffffffftttttttt.

I'm totally fed up hearing about the "this isn't proper independence line " because we want to use the pound. Load of shite. We'll have control over 100% of our income. We won't have control over our monetary policy. Big deal, we don't now. Interest rates will go up at some point, to suit London, regardless of a yes or no.

You do realise that the rUK will have to renegotiate too,then don't you?

A lot of the deals they struck in the EU where through the use of Scottish resources.

Ooooffffffffftttttttt.

The rUK won't.

If by resources you mean North Sea Oil.........you do realise there is more oil under the Falkland Islands than the entire Middle East?

I'm totally fed up hearing about the "this isn't proper independence line " because we want to use the pound. Load of shite. We'll have control over 100% of our income. We won't have control over our monetary policy. Big deal, we don't now. Interest rates will go up at some point, to suit London, regardless of a yes or no.

Interest rates would be currently circa 3.5-4.5% if London had its way. The London economy is currently overheating but the BoE knows if they raise interest rates they'll kill the fragile economic recovery elsewhere in the UK.......Scotland included.

That's not what the Scottish Government's white paper says.

It says that negotiations about Scotland's membership of the EU need to take place in the interim period before independence while Scotland is still part of the UK and, therefore, still part of the EU.

It goes on to say that the suitable legal route for Scotland's continuing membership of the EU is by using Article 48 of the Treaty of the European Union whereby existing treaties can be renegotiated. The downside of this is that it required unanimous approval by all member states. Which means we're back to trying to convince Spain to let us join :-S

FTFY

Archived