Spartans 1-2 edinburgh city

arthurdaily

First real shock result of the season!! City been impressive in some pre season results and that's 2/2 so far in the league.....can they upset the big boys and get in amongst them at the top?

Shock?

post-12982-0-04578700-1407366594.jpg

:P

just a pity the Grim one isn't around so I can rub it in. He must have second sight to choose his holidays at this precise moment, the manky Manc swine.

Shock? attachicon.gifbollocks.jpg :P just a pity the Grim one isn't around so I can rub it in. He must have second sight to choose his holidays at this precise moment, the manky Manc swine.

I kinda hinted aboot certain teams being over priced (especially a derby) ;)

If there was someway to hand oot a few extra greenies tam

Was impressed again with City tonight. First 20 minutes especially where they completely out played Spartans and deserved their 2 goal lead. Spartans did fight their way back into game but once they had scored City got back on top again and finished the half strongly. Second half felt City were always in control saw the game out comfortably. Spartans were missing a few due to injury and holidays but not sure they could really use that as an excuse tonight.

Was impressed again with City tonight. First 20 minutes especially where they completely out played Spartans and deserved their 2 goal lead. Spartans did fight their way back into game but once they had scored City got back on top again and finished the half strongly. Second half felt City were always in control saw the game out comfortably. Spartans were missing a few due to injury and holidays but not sure they could really use that as an excuse tonight.

Jute lad the only thing missing tonight was spartans tv :P

Edinburgh City displayed their title credentials with a 2-1 victory over champions Spartans in the first all-Capital clash of the Lowland League season at Ainslie Park last night.

John Dunn’s header and a penalty from Mark Osbourne gave the away side an early 2-0 lead before Michael Bruce pulled one back before the break, but the Meadowbank club held firm to make it six points from six so far.

Spartans boss Dougie Samuel had previously tipped City as dark horses for the league, and this result lent credence to his claim. “Maybe people will believe me now,” he said. “I don’t play mind games – I meant it. They’ve made good signings and have a good side.”

City opened the scoring with the first meaningful attack of the game within five minutes. Osbourne’s clever run got him in behind the Spartans back line and his pin-point centre took ’keeper Kevin Swain completely out of the game, leaving John Dunn with a simple finish.

The hosts seemed shaken by their opponents’ quick start, and didn’t register their first effort on goal until the tenth minute, although Sean Mushin’s snap shot was gathered easily. The dangerous Osbourne was unlucky not to double the visitors’ lead when his first-time effort was deflected wide after 13 minutes.

The striker was to have better luck just four minutes later. Ian McFarland’s trickery was too much for Spartans full back Daniel O’Donnell, who could do nothing but stick out a leg and bring the midfielder down in the area. Osbourne slotted home the resulting penalty, adding to his brace from the weekend win over Vale of Leithen.

Spartans were stung into actin and responded with a dipping free kick from Jack Beesley which was well held by Andrew Stobie before Keith McLeod flashed an effort wide just before the half-hour. The hosts’ increasing pressure paid off on 32 minutes when Gary Cennerazzo’s free-kick deflected into the path of O’Donnell, whose angled volley looked net-bound until Stobie threw up a strong right hand. The City ’keeper could only direct the ball into the path of the on-rushing Bruce, who headed his first goal since signing for the club.

Spartans emerged after the restart with greater urgency, and Kevin Motion had a chance to level on 48 minutes, but couldn’t keep his lob down. Despite their second-half pressure, there was to be no late comeback from the hosts.

Manager Samuel had no complaints with the outcome. He said: “I think we beat ourselves. We lost two really poor goals that left us chasing the game and got what we deserved on the night. We huffed and puffed in the second half and played into their hands.”

His opposite number Gary Jardine was delighted with the result, but will be expecting a higher level of performance from his players in the coming weeks. He said: “I’m delighted with the fact we’ve picked up the points but I’ve told them that we need to be better. We were nowhere near what we’re capable of.

“I think the work we’ve done in pre-season got us through that one – we were organised and disciplined, but we’ll need to do better. We scored early and from then on got deeper and deeper and didn’t play the football we wanted to.”

Spartans: Swain, MacKinnon, Cennerazzo, O’Donnell (Sivewright 72), Bruce; Stevenson, Beesley (Douglas 72), Grant, Mushin, McLeod, Motion (Henretty 72).

Edinburgh City: Stobie, Caddow, Donaldson, McKee, Paterson, Mbu, McFarland, Torrance (Gair 69), McConnell (Stenhouse 72), Dunn, Osbourne (Wilson 80).

Citylegend will be able to I'm sure....

City started the brighter of the two teams, breaking down the right to swing over a ball for the waiting attacker at far post for a free header. 1.0 city. Not long after some tricky play just inside the box, resulted in the player being brought down for penalty. 2.0 city. Spartans slowly came into it, but they weren't at there best last night, maybe a couple missing, some coming back from injuries etc. A rebound of city keeper saw Bruce head in a consolation goal. 2.1 halftime. Second half was even , with Spartans pushing for an equalizer, but city were pretty solid at the back. Big Joe was solid, not quick off first few yards pace, mushin had a quieter night than usual. First blood to city, but Spartans can play a lot better than this and will be back I'm sure.

Joe Mbu plays for city? Is that the guy from cowdenbeath!? To think wee Danny wanted to sign him for

St mirren a few years ago! Has he found his level in that league or are city splashing the cash? He was meant to be a standout for cowdenbeath when he was there?

Joe Mbu plays for city? Is that the guy from cowdenbeath!? To think wee Danny wanted to sign him for

St mirren a few years ago! Has he found his level in that league or are city splashing the cash? He was meant to be a standout for cowdenbeath when he was there?

Must be big bucks though as you've already stated he was a standout in championship and league 1 so can't see how this would be 'his level'.

Although there are any number of reasons for someone to sign for a club, particularly at his age, he must be pushing 40!

"Pushing 40" - he's 32, FFS :lol:!!

Most recently at Cowdenbeath (Championship), Stenhousemuir (L1) and East Fife (L1 relegated to L2) so this move fits-in with a downward trajectory...

Should be able to do a good job in LL, you'd think.

Joe was a standout in the 2nd division (now league 1) but the two seasons he played for us in the Championship he was hampered by injuries and seemed to get slower for that level.

Should be a great signing for City.

Must be big bucks though as you've already stated he was a standout in championship and league 1 so can't see how this would be 'his level'.

Although there are any number of reasons for someone to sign for a club, particularly at his age, he must be pushing 40!

I don't think money would be that much of an issue he has a good job outside football and I would imagine that Linlithgow (who were reported to be after him) would probably have offered him more that City would be able to pay.

He lives and works in Edinburgh so maybe was just happy to have a team on his doorstep.

"Pushing 40" - he's 32, FFS :lol:!!

Most recently at Cowdenbeath (Championship), Stenhousemuir (L1) and East Fife (L1 relegated to L2) so this move fits-in with a downward trajectory...

Should be able to do a good job in LL, you'd think.

Aye god knows how anyone would think he was that age he doesn't even look that old :lol:

Archived