Russia

Blaven

There has to be sanctions - this shouldn't be an economic decision.

Erm sanctions are an economic decision. And of course, the question of sanctions for our favourite state which has been reducing Gaza to rubble for over a week doesn't crop up - yet Russia requires sanctions for reasons.

I don't think it'll have a major impact on Scottish exports either. Depends on whether the Russian counter-sanction - which gave an exception to wine imports - applies also for whisky.

Well, we had to be seen to be doing something.

They did yes.

Question is how much will the Russians actions affect Westminster?

The Russians have targeted Europe's Food & Drink industries, so Scotland will come off worse than the rest of the UK as a whole will.

The "tier three" sanctions that we agreed to were done through the EU and the retaliatory sanctions by Russia cover the whole of the EU, not to mention Norway, Australia, Canada and the US. Assuming we would have been part of the EU as an independent state it would therefore have made no difference - short of us vetoing the entire EU policy and alienating all of our allies in the process.

Unless Putin is bombing Ukraine and surrounding territories with herring and bottles of Whyte and MacKay, I don't see that any of this is particularly relevant.

I'd be quite happy simply to have a government that wasn't literally selling tanks, bombs and bullets to the antagonists for now.

To be fair, if the sanctions only affect direct trade then they won't do much. My sister is a buyer for a major retail company who operate several places in Russia. They are based in central Europe so everything they sell in Russia would probably still be fine as it's going through a middle man. I can't see there being much of an impact.

Erm sanctions are an economic decision. And of course, the question of sanctions for our favourite state which has been reducing Gaza to rubble for over a week doesn't crop up - yet Russia requires sanctions for reasons.

I don't think it'll have a major impact on Scottish exports either. Depends on whether the Russian counter-sanction - which gave an exception to wine imports - applies also for whisky.

You know what I meant - advocating not having sanctions because of the effects on our economy.

£65billion wiped of the value of Britain's top companies.Iraq and Ukraine causing fear in the market.

US decide it's now time to get involved with air strikes in Iraq now that Christians are being targeted.

Cameron as ever plays to the US tune.

What else is in store for the UKOK?

Archived