Sportscene watch 2015/16

The BBC paid £204M for Match of the Day rights in 2015.  Scotland makes up roughly 9% of the UK population, and presumably, license payers.  Why aren't we seeing our 9%, or £20M paid, for Scottish football coverage?  

It's our Scottish license money going towards that £204M.

[ETA £20M over 3 years, that is]

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPFL TV

- Exclusive Live Matches from all four tiers of the SPFL

- Exclusive coverage of the play-offs

- Live Coverage of Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup

- Live rights of Scottish teams in the Europa League

- Live coverage of Scotland friendlies and highlights of competitive games

£10.99 per month (standard price)

£7.99/month for Season Tickets holders at a SPFL club.

The SPFL would need to buy the Scottish Cup and Scotland friendly rights from the SFA, and the competitive Scotland highlights from UEFA. This further adds to the costs that will reduce the available profit to the clubs.

ETA: and also the Scottish clubs' European matches.

SPFL TV

- Exclusive Live Matches from all four tiers of the SPFL

- Exclusive coverage of the play-offs

- Live Coverage of Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup

- Live rights of Scottish teams in the Europa League

- Live coverage of Scotland friendlies and highlights of competitive games

£10.99 per month (standard price)

£7.99/month for Season Tickets holders at a SPFL club. 

This is the right sort of approach in that 'we' should control our IP AND that we should be promoting the game from Tier 1 to Tier 4 but the numbers are wrong.  This is especially true as you can watch, say, Rangers TV free on a dodgy stream.

No one would pay a tenner a month for SPFL TV - I certainly wouldn't.  I would, though, love a service where there is broadcasting of a number of live matched on the web and comprehensive 'summary programs' also available online - paid through advertising with some live games also sold to the likes of The BBC or Sky.

A major issue is who we should partner with.  Ideally (in my own wee vision of SPFL TV as a subscription-free, advertising-paid service) we should have an infrastructure partner who has the bandwidth and the commercial acuity to market us online.  A problem is that The UK's bandwidth is dominated by BT.  Another problem is that Doncaster and Topping are behind the curve and are trying to bully The BBC like they bullied The SFL when we were admitted to Tier 4.  They are a pair of warmers.

So I think the vision is right.  We should manage our own IP and decide how and by whom it is distributed. 

We should be covering many more games from top to bottom and the technology for doing that is getting cheaper by the year.

Having an online-mainly model is right.

Bandwidth is an issue but we have 5 years to get this right and I don;t see it as a major issue.

What we have to do is get the programming and presentation right.  iPat doesn't cut the mustard.

The BBC paid £204M for Match of the Day rights in 2015.  Scotland makes up roughly 9% of the UK population, and presumably, license payers.  Why aren't we seeing our 9%, or £20M paid, for Scottish football coverage?  

It's our Scottish license money going towards that £204M.

[ETA £20M over 3 years, that is]

If you asked Scottish viewership whether they wanted Match of the Day, or a better-resourced Sportscene paying more money to SPFL - I wonder if you'd actually get the answer you want... I appreciate it's not an either/or, but it's not as simple as the scenario you're painting, either.

MotD is shown UK-wide and is popular, whereas Sportscene is Scotland-specific (I suppose you could show it in graveyard slot down south) and - IIRC - isn't even as popular up here as MotD is?

Northern Irish football is poorly resourced compared to us - couple of live finals, highlights by 2 blokes in a cupboard, presumably paying merely thousands of Â£ to NIFL - so where do you stop.

It's not as simple as just deriving population proportions from MotD's rights values.

The fact of the matter is the product is shite so all this talk of subscription is nonsense. How many would pay to watch that sub standard pish?

It's absolutely not "Shite" it's absolutely not "Sub standard". The product here is different to what's served up in England and the CL.

In the same way some people like gourmet food other people would prefer mince and tatties.

If you asked Scottish viewership whether they wanted Match of the Day, or a better-resourced Sportscene paying more money to SPFL - I wonder if you'd actually get the answer you want... I appreciate it's not an either/or, but it's not as simple as the scenario you're painting, either.

MotD is shown UK-wide and is popular, whereas Sportscene is Scotland-specific (I suppose you could show it in graveyard slot down south) and - IIRC - isn't even as popular up here as MotD is?

Northern Irish football is poorly resourced compared to us - couple of live finals, highlights by 2 blokes in a cupboard, presumably paying merely thousands of Â£ to NIFL - so where do you stop.

It's not as simple as just deriving population proportions from MotD's rights values.

It's a bit of a circular argument though, because if our game was better-resourced by the likes of the Bbc (spit), it wouldn't be as shite and more people would want to watch it.

Northern Irish football is poorly resourced compared to us - couple of live finals, highlights by 2 blokes in a cupboard, presumably paying only thousands of Â£ to NIFL - so where do you stop.

That is because the BBC refuse to pay for primary rights to show highlights before 6pm on a Sunday. 

Now perhaps the SPFL should review that policy since scheduling is erratic at best an early season between Europa League and TV fixtures there could be only one or two games played before Sunday so paying extra for earlier access probably isn't worth it. Where as MotD will probably have 6 games every week.

You have to go out of your way to see EPL highlights before they appear on MotD where as SPFL highlights are available on the BBC website and Youtube before Sportscene airs. And clubs have rights to their own highlights so Motherwell fan can watch full highlights on Saturday night. So Sportscene is not appointment television if you are just looking to see goals.

I can see why the BBC are in a bind with the program where they need to balance highlights (which large parts of their potential audience have seen) and analysis which is tricky for non-broadcast games due to poor production, lack of cameras. And it isn't just the BBC coverage that has diminished.

The best coverage we had was when there were 5 minutes of Youtube highlights which btw are terrible to search for because no one had the foresight to put the score and date in the title. That coverage has disappeared as well. If the BBC had a good 5 minutes of each game on their website but spend a good part of their 50 minutes on a couple of games and the rest with limited highlights I think that would be a good compromise.

The fact of the matter is the product is shite so all this talk of subscription is nonsense. How many would pay to watch that sub standard pish?

Scottish football is what Scottish football is.  A decent presentation would be tolerable.  Piss poor, semi-literate ramblings most certainly are not.   

Fans aren't asking for a lot.  In fact, many would be prepared to pay for what we already get for free.  The point is the quality of presentation.

That is because the BBC refuse to pay for primary rights to show highlights before 6pm on a Sunday.

Slightly disingenuous, because the SPFL don't offer such rights thanks to the clubs wanting to protect their own media packages. Only Sky (and BT if they had an outlet for them) can show goals on Saturday evening as soon as the footage is available. And that's as a consequence of being a live rights holder.

The Alba highlights aren't consistent enough (in terms of clubs shown on a Saturday) to be an issue.

Slightly disingenuous, because the SPFL don't offer such rights thanks to the clubs wanting to protect their own media packages. Only Sky (and BT if they had an outlet for them) can show goals on Saturday evening as soon as the footage is available. And that's as a consequence of being a live rights holder.

The Alba highlights aren't consistent enough (in terms of clubs shown on a Saturday) to be an issue.

Sun + Goals also show goals at 5.15 on a Saturday I think.

The product is far from shite, St Mirren are shite though I'll give you that.

That wasn't always the case though. They could never sell the primary rights so the clubs decided to keep them for themselves and their own platforms. In fact I think it is the clubs that have pushed for lesser highlights packages on Sportscene and Youtube.

I respect your choices guys but I could never limit myself to just watching the terrible standard of Scottish football. Do you refuse to watch anything else as a matter of principle or do you watch BT, MOTD, streams etc?

Never watch match of the day as I'm just not interested. Don't watch champions league either despite the fact that BT sport is part of my TV package with virgin. Tbh I find that level of club football pretty boring to watch. I enjoy watching the Scottish game because I've generally got an interest in who wins

It's absolutely not "Shite" it's absolutely not "Sub standard". The product here is different to what's served up in England and the CL.

In the same way some people like gourmet food other people would prefer mince and tatties.

IMO the product is shite so we might have to agree to disagree. Fair play to you for gaining whatever enjoyment you get from whatever games you go to but I have higher standards now. 

The product is far from shite, St Mirren are shite though I'll give you that.

As above....Not many enjoyable games with my saints season ticket for the last few seasons but I still go to most games through habit. Really hope Ayr gain promotion and Kilmarnock are relegated for an interesting championship next season.........and walking distance to Somerset.

Jimmy boo having a mare. Stick to whatever "bpl" gunge you are happiest with, and kindly get the f**k off a Scottish football message board if you think it is so poor.

Nobody, nobody at all, thinks it is world beating. But everyone here has at the least a passing interest and appreciation of it, whatever that may be.

Archived