Sportsound Watch

It's pretty ridiculous. Anyone else remember in pre-Internet days that Clyde One's Superscoreboard used to read the classifieds off of BBC's Final Score? The Clyde guy would be slightly behind James Alexander Gordon, which always made me think of a boy listening to a portable TV through headphones, pointing to the score as it was read out for the DJ to follow. Imagine getting paid for that.

On 17/03/2017 at 08:51, ICTChris said:

Derek Rae tweeted this quote by Ian Cathro which sums up a lot of Scottish football broadcasting etc for me

gges

I'm not saying that we need to have ultra analytical, dry programmes reading out expected goal stats and talking about false nines, but if we could actually talk about the sport a bit more rather than bringing out ex players to spout cliches then Sportsound etc would be far better.

Nah, I think more analytical and drier would be far better, I listened to the Hibs Dundee United game last week and it was quite clear that the pundits knew next to f**k all about the Championship this season, they spoke in a manner that sughested United were the only challenger to Hibs and clearly the 2nd best team in the league, I did text in to point out that they weren't even the 2nd best team in the league, Willie Miller had a wee chortle when it was read out at the end of the show but at least they did change tack a bit after half time.

It's little more than a patronising head pat to the wee teams on these radio programmes apart from the odd decent pundit.

20 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Is it an illegal steam though? Surely as a broadcast partner they'll have a feed going to their production department to out together the highlight packages? They used to say things like that all the time - someone at the game would comment on an incident and someone in the studio (usually Richard Gordon) would say something like "we've just seen a replay and it looks like a red card" or whatever.

If there is a "live" feed available, then it can legally be received and watched at Pacific Quay because the BBC are a rights holder. On Sportscene Results they have the feeds on monitors off-camera. 

The question is if that feed exists. Again on Sportscene Results, they don't cut to live shots from Ibrox at full time, but do so for other games. But they also don't do it for games at Celtic Park. 

That makes me think that the cameras at those two grounds are actually provided by Celtic and Rangers TV. The footage is then provided to the BBC and Sky after the game has finished. 

If you look at the Twitter feed of Hi-Sat, you see that when they're at Celtic Park or Ibrox, they're first and foremost providing facilities for Celtic/Rangers TV. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/hi_satbroadcast?lang=en

My hunch is that in order to save money, the SPFL/BBC leave non-live coverage of Celtic/Sevco to their own TV channels on the proviso that footage is provided to rights holders, and the SPFL themselves (for YouTube etc.). The consequence is that the BBC don't have a clean live feed coming in. It's an arrangement the clubs will be happy with because it means they have pick of the camera positions instead of needing to make way for whoever the BBC or SPFL send to cover the game. 

Ryan Stevenson at Motherwell yesterday must be the worst ever. Is he the best they can do?  Really!

Balls.
He was nervous and stumbled a wee bit, but got the info over no problem. I wish him well and am sure he will improve with experience.

To be even handed, I must say it is a bit "jobs for the boys" old pals act. Therefore let's hope he settles in and offers a fresh viewpoint.

Is it not his first go at it?

Aye, and to be fair the likes of Tam Mcmanus were shite the first time round as well. Need to stick with them as it's not the easiest set up to join in with and Tam's now one of my favourites on it.

I'll give Stevo the benefit of the doubt, he has so far when I've listened to him not shirked criticising people or practises at clubs he's played for, some are too shit scared to say a word about anyone or anything at clubs they've been at.

Hopefully he takes the Michael Stewart route rather than the Derek Johnstone route, a wee bit of Tom English' prep on stats wouldn't go amiss either.

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Aye, and to be fair the likes of Tam Mcmanus were shite the first time round as well. Need to stick with them as it's not the easiest set up to join in with and Tam's now one of my favourites on it.

Agree with this I tuned in on Sat and thought he was very shaky but it can't be an easy thing to do if u have never done it

Tam mcmanus is brilliant on it now I feel has really freshened the whole show up but he was shite at the start aswell .

22 hours ago, akuram said:

Ryan Stevenson at Motherwell yesterday must be the worst ever. Is he the best they can do?  Really!

I am out the country, when I last looked he was playing in goals, has he retired?

Would recommend everyone listen to the podcast. The guy should be extremely proud of himself not just with the amount of work he is doing with kids but getting through his battles. A truly inspiring listen.

In the same way that he spoke of receiving drug advice in the 80s at school from those who knew nothing about drugs, there are far too many "experts" out there with opinions on why we have no great footballers anymore.

It's people like him and others who should be at the forefront of the debate.

Didn't realise they also do a lot of work helping kids and families out there that isn't just related to football. All for free.

Well done Andy McLaren. Huge pat on the back.

I'm looking forward to listening to this on the podcast. Andy McLaren is always worth listening to. I've nothing but the greatest respect for the guy.

The abuse he used to receive on an almost weekly basis when he was playing was absolutely shameful. Our fans were as bad as anyone for it. I remember he was playing for either Dundee or Morton at Firhill and he completely lost the plot over the abuse he was getting. It was sad to witness. I'm sure he even had to ban his wife and children from coming to watch him because he didn't want them listening to the bile.

I took a fair amount of drugs in my 20s, but I'm not sure I should go round schools educating kids about them, as I'm likely to talk about how ace they were.

Same here

But the high he must get from what he is doing must be better than the come down on a Strawb or Dove.