Sportsound Watch

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm taking it to be slightly different.

"Games tend to be not as good on plastic pitches".

Obviously there will be exceptions to the original point - if you're going to be pedantic.

I didn't hear it today, but Sportsound pundits in the past have explicitly said that they've never seen a good game on a plastic pitch. 

I didn't hear it today, but Sportsound pundits in the past have explicitly said that they've never seen a good game on a plastic pitch. 
Brendan Rodgers started that though, did he not?

Still, you're being pedantic.

Is it less likely you'll see a good game on a plastic pitch?

I thought Naismith was good for Scotland as well. No idea where this chat of his being abysmal comes from.

Needs about 10 chances to get a shot on target let alone score. He was poor for Scotland.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I've missed this debate generally (and probably thankfully).

What are they making up?

They said there are no good games on artificial pitches. They also said it's a different game as the ball bounces differently and rolls differently, as if all grass pitches play exactly the same. They stated that teams who have them have an unfair advantage. One of the earlier in the week said it was costing us getting a better TV deal and someone claimed it was harming our youth players as they are more used to grass. Also apparently all players hate them.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'm taking it to be slightly different.

"Games tend to be not as good on plastic pitches".

Obviously there will be exceptions to the original point - if you're going to be pedantic.

No, they literally said there are no good games on an artificial pitch.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Brendan Rodgers started that though, did he not?

Still, you're being pedantic.

Is it less likely you'll see a good game on a plastic pitch?

No, it isn't.

Do you think there is a difference in quality in the games?

Do you think the bounce of the ball is affected? Genuine questions.

Obviously there have been good games on plastic pitches. Rodgers just says he's never seen one, and other pundits will have jumped on to that.

If there is an issue if quality then we shouldn't have plastic pitches, especially in the top league. Slagging sportsound on the quality of their debate is one thing, but I actually think they're probably right in this instance.

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You think that in terms of broadcasting, Billy Dodds and Scott McDonald are fine, but Michael Stewart is a p***k?

That's an astonishing opinion for anyone to hold.

I just don't think Dodds or MacDonald hogg the airtime like Stewart does, because he is a p***k

5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Do you think there is a difference in quality in the games?

Do you think the bounce of the ball is affected? Genuine questions.

Obviously there have been good games on plastic pitches. Rodgers just says he's never seen one, and other pundits will have jumped on to that.

If there is an issue if quality then we shouldn't have plastic pitches, especially in the top league. Slagging sportsound on the quality of their debate is one thing, but I actually think they're probably right in this instance.

I don't think if a pitch is grass or artificial determines the quality of a game. This leads in to your question about the bounce of the ball. Of course it differs on on artificial pitch. It differs on every artificial pitch. It also differs on every grass pitch. The bounce of the ball differs on every pitch, regardless of if it is grass or artificial.

The pitch at Somerset today was lovely, but that didn't stop a backpass from Ashcroft taking a massive bounce right in front of Robinson before he was about to clear it. One of the things they said today was that it was easier/better to pass the ball and roll it on a grass pitch. Strange comment. As long as the artificial pitch is watered properly, surely the opposite should be true.

I don't think if a pitch is grass or artificial determines the quality of a game. This leads in to your question about the bounce of the ball. Of course it differs on on artificial pitch. It differs on every artificial pitch. It also differs on every grass pitch. The bounce of the ball differs on every pitch, regardless of if it is grass or artificial.
Fair enough.

But it struck me that pretty much every voice on the show, as well as the managers of quite a few teams in our top league, think differently. This includes the much lauded Michael Stewart, who I thought was his usual eloquent self today.

No-one is suggesting that the bounce on as grass pitch is always true. They are basically saying that the pitch has an effect on the type of game that is played, and that the quality of games is generally better on grass pitches.

And that's before you get to the issue of players preferences for grass pitches, and the long term damage it might be doing.

Once again, I'm not really defending the quality of debate on sportsound. My point is that some people seem to hate the show so much that they're willing to argue against everything it does.

I have a mate who is a former SPFL Premiership footballer. Now playing part-time.

He's a very small sample size (of one) obviously, but he says a game on an artificial pitch has the feel of a fives or sevens game to most players and that the run of the ball makes people think twice about challenges etc. Have to say, from watching games I'd noticed players pulling out of challenges on artificial surfaces before he said that.

Simply put, he would bin them in an instant and is adamant that the vast majority of players agree with him. He said it's funny to hear players who play for clubs that have these pitches defend them in public while absolutely slating them in private.

It is worth noting that my mate is in his thirties and grew up playing on grass, perhaps a younger player would have a different view.

Like I said, sample size of one. But I think the general tone of the discussion on Sportsound yesterday was fair. People in general don't like artificial pitches, and the only people who tend to defend them are employed by clubs that use them. In my days as a student of History, I was always encouraged to consider the source and motivation for quotes. Few people in football tend to speak out in favour of artificial pitches that aren't on the payroll of a club that uses them.

On 8/24/2018 at 15:45, Dons_1988 said:

Chick young excelled himself again last night.

Whether or not the ‘jumping out of windows’ banter with Johnny Russell is true or not he completely ruined what was a fairly decent interview with yet another one of his anecdotal fantasies.

Get him to f**k.

Just listened to it the now. Ground the entire interview to a halt which it never recovered from just so Chick could allude to some story that they didn't even bother explaining.

Shite players make for Shite games on any pitch. It's another level of excuse to the level of failure we hold close in Scotland.
Well that's patently not true.

There's fucking loads of shite games with great players, and loads of great games in the lower leagues (even in the juniors).

Also, what's with the level of failure pish?

Well that's patently not true.

There's fucking loads of shite games with great players, and loads of great games in the lower leagues (even in the juniors).

Also, what's with the level of failure pish?
It's all excuses. Scottish just make excuses for our shiteness. Aw it's the plastic pitch. If we all went back to grass, there'd be something else instead.

f**k off and open your eyes to the level of our mediocrity whilst other countries actively encourage progress.

Exactly. For years the self same pundits were talking about how poor (for example) the Fir Park pitch was, how we needed better facilities for young players to get involved, that community clubs were the way to go etc. Now they're doing this by using plastic and getting the local community involved with coaches on these pitches they're all rubbish. They've bemoaned the lack of indoor facilities for a while too but now there's Oriam, Ravenscraig and the Michael Woods at Glenrothes no doubt they'll find something in those that they don't like.

6 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:
17 minutes ago, Darren said:
Michael Stewart was constantly saying "would of" during the Celtic game the other night. He's so clever and articulate.

Would've is phonetically identical and grammatically correct. How do you know he was using "would of"?

Because he was enunciating it very clearly. I am aware would've means would have but thanks for the tip.