Sportsound Watch

There's very little to be positive or praise about Sportsound these days. However, been listening to the Celtic v Atleti game tonight, Liam McLeod is a good radio commentator and has painted a good picture. Paul Mitchell (used sparingly now) is also a very good radio commentator.

A very rare positive in a sea of total, total shite otherwise.

During half-time of the Dundee Ross County game last night, they went to Martin Dowden to talk about the Atletico press conference and what a furore Atletico had caused among Celtic fans for the strip they were planning on wearing. Will hold my hands up if I missed it as I was walking home but I don't think at any time Dowden explained 1) what strip they were planning on wearing and how it differed from normal and 2) as a result of this choice why the Celtic fans were apparently unhappy about it and 3) why this was worthy of any airtime.

He went on for several minutes about some historic games and now that I've looked online, I've made the link that the strip is a replica of the one they wore in 1974 in a semi-final Celtic lost where Atletico had 3 men sent off at Celtic Park. 

Perhaps I just don't care enough about other teams but I was amazed that this was took up so much time and was explained so poorly at that.

2 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

During half-time of the Dundee Ross County game last night, they went to Martin Dowden to talk about the Atletico press conference and what a furore Atletico had caused among Celtic fans for the strip they were planning on wearing. Will hold my hands up if I missed it as I was walking home but I don't think at any time Dowden explained 1) what strip they were planning on wearing and how it differed from normal and 2) as a result of this choice why the Celtic fans were apparently unhappy about it and 3) why this was worthy of any airtime.

He went on for several minutes about some historic games and now that I've looked online, I've made the link that the strip is a replica of the one they wore in 1974 in a semi-final Celtic lost where Atletico had 3 men sent off at Celtic Park. 

Perhaps I just don't care enough about other teams but I was amazed that this was took up so much time and was explained so poorly at that.

Just incase some celtc fans are listening to Dundee v Ross County really.   I could understand on a main show being priority because there could be more old firm fans listening in but that's taking the piss or/and they wanted to use that part for their podcast. 

Sportsound is absolutely shocking these days.   Like Chewing the fat, the 90s was great now its really really crap. 

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

If Old Man Miller and his pals had their way, Aberdeen would have had a go in the first half and probably been 3-0 down by now.

You can see why he ran a chippy that failed. In Scotland. 

2 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Just checking, has Kenny bothered to mention the Scottish Cup all afternoon?

I was listening to all of the second half and didn't hear it mentioned once.

Ian McCall came on well after 5, and when asked for his highlights of the day, he reeled off about half a dozen notable Scottish Cup results.  He pointedly started it by saying "As we're Radio SCOTLAND...". 

McCall definitely came closer to not being a dick than is customary.

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Charlie Mulgrew having a bit of a meltdown on the radio.

Fan crumbling after initially saying they looked like they chucked it.

I got out the car just when that was coming on, but I would say that I think Mulgrew has a future as a pundit. 

His tactical analysis of the Hibs Celtic match was decent and certainly far better than the Bonner / Miller / English triumverate of shite that was also there.

Insufferable as usual yesterday.

You had a 3-3 game, a 4-0 and a 2-0. Yet they still dedicated the majority of the time, from full time until about half 5, to Pat Bonner banging on about how tired Celtic were and how good Mickey Johnson was in a goalless draw.

I’m sure most folk tuning in at full time really wanted to hear why Celtic played out a 0-0 draw, and not the games with barrow-loads of second half goals. Right?

2 minutes ago, sophia said:

Willie Miller is labouring under the misapprehension that it's ok for a goalkeeper to pick up a pass as long as it doesn't go backwards, a backpass if you will.

Surely not?  :lol: I know the times have changed since then but how on earth did he win a European cup, as a captain ffs.