Sportsound Watch

Thought the episode was really good too, some really good stories from the old cats, interesting to hear what it was like back then preparing for a match and that malarkey.

Listened to last nights this morning too, the start was on the Cup Final, thank heavens it was Tom English and Stephen McGowan who took control, probably the 2 best guys on it for me and althought it was purely based on the Lisbon Lions I found it a really good listen with all the old boys talking about big Jock and other players who were apart of that team.

If anything it's been an absolute pleasure not hearing Barry Ferguson's brain damamged voice poluting my ears.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

:lol:

That is spot on. 

The Bazza Paradox should definitely be a thing.

Isn't he just everypundit, though?  srs..the seemingly-accepted model of hiring old pros to comment on games because they used to be able to kick a ball is beyond tawdry.

If you want input on how to cook the perfect rib-roast would you ask an abattoir* worker?  I think not.  

*No disrespect to the coo-killers among us...especially those handy with a sizeable mallet.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Isn't he just everypundit, though?  srs..the seemingly-accepted model of hiring old pros to comment on games because they used to be able to kick a ball is beyond tawdry.

If you want input on how to cook the perfect rib-roast would you ask an abattoir* worker?  I think not.  

*No disrespect to the coo-killers among us...especially those handy with a sizeable mallet.

I think that Bazza's "Listen" tick probably sets him apart a little from his peers, as does the inexplicable platform that BBC Scotland afford him.

He is however, an infinitely more accomplished broadcaster than McAvennie.

That's a terrible example to use. If you want to know how to kill a coo - then abattoir Joe is your man.

If you want to know how to roast it - the ex 5 star chef is your go to guy.

(I am not in any way suggesting these knobs are worthy of air time, I'm just pointing out the problem with your logic)

Just now, pandarilla said:

That's a terrible example to use. If you want to know how to kill a coo - then abattoir Joe is your man.

If you want to know how to roast it - the ex 5 star chef is your go to guy.

(I am not in any way suggesting these knobs are worthy of air time, I'm just pointing out the problem with your logic)

Well I rest content with my logic - though I was trying to play to the gallery a little.

My point was that though one may be adept in part of the process  (eg killing coos or scoring winning goals ) that doesn't make you authoritative in delivering the end product (medium rare rib-roast or insightful footballing opinions).  I think this is pretty incontestable.

Well I rest content with my logic - though I was trying to play to the gallery a little.
My point was that though one may be adept in part of the process  (eg killing coos or scoring winning goals ) that doesn't make you authoritative in delivering the end product (medium rare rib-roast or insightful footballing opinions).  I think this is pretty incontestable.

Apology accepted [emoji13]

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Multi award winning journalist Keith Jackson getting his shite called out by Dean Windass on Twitter emoji28.png

He's a fucking fanny.

WIth these two?  "He's a fucking fanny" doesn't clarify anything.

Indeed. Greenie for you sir.

40 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think that Bazza's "Listen" tick probably sets him apart a little from his peers, as does the inexplicable platform that BBC Scotland afford him.

He is however, an infinitely more accomplished broadcaster than McAvennie.

:lol: If ever there was a case of damning with faint praise?

Well played!

Obviously you expect them to talk about the Lisbon Lions a bit today, but this really is fucking ridiculous. There's a massive game kicking off in under an hour and they haven't even fucking mentioned it!

Obviously you expect them to talk about the Lisbon Lions a bit today, but this really is fucking ridiculous. There's a massive game kicking off in under an hour and they haven't even fucking mentioned it!

I'm sure they'll give us regular updates from Tannadice. Or at least tell us the final score.

Much as I deride these ex-pros, I do of course envy them.  

I'm not pretending for a moment that I wouldn't trade any modest 10 a penny abilities I've got for their huge ones in the coolest sphere there is. 

That fact alone renders sneering pretty hollow I suppose.  It really doesn't mean that we should have to listen to what they 'think' though, any more than they should have to consider how effectively the rest of us would lead the line or perform in a holding role.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

15 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Gave the teams and had a quick two minute discussion of them, then back to the Lisbon Lions. What the f**k is this?!

Unlike most of the grey and green dross on here I remember them winning the Big Cup.  It was a terrific achievement and one celebrated widely as a great Scottish success.  In my BB Company (13th Motherwell) we had a screening of the match (16mm film) a few months later and we all were pleased for Celtic's success.

This, though, was when Celtic was a Scottish team.  Since then they sacked Big Jock twice, exhumed the cold dry bones of Andrew Kerins, made him in to some sort of martyr and turned themselves in to Vhictim FC.