Sportsound Watch

Folk are far too hard on commentators.

There's literally no way they can please everyone.

I'd fair enjoy listening to punters on here having a go. And the first couple of times it would be alright but what the f**k do you do to get folk to not hate your voice?

If McLeod hides his allegiance to Aberdeen he'll get grief, and if he in any ways shows it he'll get grief too.

I agree.

His job as commentator is pretty simple. Be able to articulate to the listener what is happening and also bring a bit of enthusiasm to proceedings, which he achieves more than other sportsound commentators IMO.

This ‘love for celtic’ stuff is nonsense too. Celtic are the featured game most weeks on sportsound and generally they win most weeks too. They create the most chances and score more goals, play better football. Thus commentator who’s job it is to get excited when something happens will disproportionately get excited about Celtic.

I'd fair enjoy listening to punters on here having a go. And the first couple of times it would be alright but what the f**k do you do to get folk to not hate your voice?

If McLeod hides his allegiance to Aberdeen he'll get grief, and if he in any ways shows it he'll get grief too.

Agree.

I like the FB videos of McLeod, Steven Thomson and Michael Stewart discussing current happenings in Scottish football.

Much prefer them to the likes of fucking Chick b*****ding Young.

20 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Agree.

I like the FB videos of McLeod, Steven Thomson and Michael Stewart discussing current happenings in Scottish football.

Much prefer them to the likes of fucking Chick b*****ding Young.

That's Jonathon Sutherland

That's Jonathon Sutherland

The wee guy with the winkle pickers? In which case, as you were. No idea who this McLeod is. All I would offer in his defence is that he isn’t Derek Ferguson, Biscuits, Chico or Pat Bonnar.

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The wee guy with the winkle pickers? In which case, as you were. No idea who this McLeod is. All I would offer in his defence is that he isn’t Derek Ferguson, Biscuits, Chico or Pat Bonnar.

Yes. The one who's eyes look like he's permanently eccied oot his nut is Sutherland. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Voice of a 12 year old boy aside, don’t really have an issue with Mcleod as a commentator at all.

That's a major issue for a commentator.  Kermit the Frog should not be commentating on sport.  

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

99% of commentators are able to avoid showing their allegiances when doing their job.  It's a complete non-issue who Liam McLeod supports.

That said, Jock Brown, David Begg and Alistair Alexander were infinitely better.  And yes, a lot of that does have to do with not speaking like a small child.

Then again, Gerry McNee.

16 hours ago, Wasperoonie said:

I've tried so hard to cut Pat Bonner some slack. He was a fine goalkeeper. A winner.

But listening to him over past 12 months..and indeed tonight...he basically opens his mouth...and arse gravy dribbles out. Sad times.

He's an absolute buffoon who wasn't even that good a goalkeeper.

Interesting to see what folk think of McLeod but I would agree Dons_1988 and that he is excitable and is mostly at Celtic games so maybe there is an impression that Celtic are his team, but I've always found him decent despite the pitch of his voice

Not easy to do well but, Ian Maxwell just had an absolute disaster on Sportsound being interviewed about the child abuse enquiry.

Car crash. Ooft.

His first big interview on a very delicate situation. Easiest thing would have been admit all the wrong doing. Hands up, that was then this is now. Watch us go forward. Too many Doncaster type sound bites and protectionism.

Poor show.

48 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

It's much easier to say it's complicated than do 10 minutes basic research for their paid job. 

This is one thing that's always got me about the general ignorance from those stealing the tv tax.  If they can't be arsed doing their job properly and researching before they appear on air then why haven't the BBC prepared some info for them? It would only take a knowledgeable minion 30 - 60 minutes to pull together a fact sheet about what's being discussed or the players in the game being covered. BT manage to do it as during a game last week one of them referenced the fact sheet they were all given. Again, it's basic stuff and again the BBC fail spectacularly.

10 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

This is one thing that's always got me about the general ignorance from those stealing the tv tax.  If they can't be arsed doing their job properly and researching before they appear on air then why haven't the BBC prepared some info for them? It would only take a knowledgeable minion 30 - 60 minutes to pull together a fact sheet about what's being discussed or the players in the game being covered. BT manage to do it as during a game last week one of them referenced the fact sheet they were all given. Again, it's basic stuff and again the BBC fail spectacularly.

The older pundits are the worst I like Tam McManus because he seems switched on and knowledgeable about the game and setup. Biscuits, Miller etc are a shambles They seem to think their ignorance is something to be lauded

Edited by Swordfishtrombone

1 hour ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

The older pundits are the worst I like Tam McManus because he seems switched on and knowledgeable about the game and setup. Biscuits, Miller etc are a shambles They seem to think their ignorance is something to be lauded

Tam is excellent his knowledge of the players especially in the Championship is very good and unlike many of the others seems to be enjoying what he is doing. Some of the others sound as if they would rather be out with the wife shopping than be getting paid to watch football on a Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, ShugtheBuddie said:

Tam is excellent his knowledge of the players especially in the Championship is very good and unlike many of the others seems to be enjoying what he is doing. Some of the others sound as if they would rather be out with the wife shopping than be getting paid to watch football on a Saturday. 

I was particularly impressed when Tam Mcmanus was tweeting about Falkirk binning the youth academy. That shows a level of engagement that is beyond a lot of the usual suspects