Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Agree that the half hour furious tugging over VAR problems yesterday when there was a great day of Championship football ahead was galling to say the least.

Would have been better to have had a detailed look at the Championship title race and to hear from the different managers and personalities involved.

It's sad to hear how much Sportsound has degenrated. It's an Old Firm fanzine these days.

I agree with just about every word of this but tbh I think other than the proper moonhowler Rangers fans and their board no one else can be arsed talking really about it. It's alot easier for the likes of Tom and Kenny to talk about this subjective waffle though than do proper research about the league below. Whoever is in charge should really be setting what is going to fill the program more.

Edited by gannonball

I listened to Off the Ball yesterday and thought it was ok, but Sportsound lost me twenty minutes into their completely pointless discussion of a correct decision (in terms of non-award of a penalty) in a game that happened a week ago.

I can't put into words how terrible a dicussion point that was to have dominate the show. Sportsound is dead. Just appalling.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

I listened to Off the Ball yesterday and thought it was ok, but Sportsound lost me twenty minutes into their completely pointless discussion of a correct decision (in terms of non-award of a penalty) in a game that happened a week ago.

I can't put into words how terrible a dicussion point that was to have dominate the show. Sportsound is dead. Just appalling.

Yeah but remember, they really didn’t want to have to talk about it. 

On 23/12/2023 at 15:28, Miguel Sanchez said:

They cancelled it because of the two Premiership games being postponed. So far Liam MacLeod is better at giving lower league updates than Macintyre, even while he's commentating on a game.

This was genuinely the case. What a shame.

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

In all seriousness Rangers are playing 2 friendlies next week: versus Hertha Berlin at 3pm on Saturday - "live from Spain on Rangers TV" 

Bet they want to put that as the live commentary game this Saturday. 

They will have somebody reporting from that game and will get more air time than several of the Championship games going on at the same time. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

10 minutes ago, derektaylor84 said:

Bet they want to put that as the live commentary game this Saturday. 

They will use it to launch a discussion point on what rangers, and by association, Celtic need in the January transfer window. I’m sure of it. 

17 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Agree that the half hour furious tugging over VAR problems yesterday when there was a great day of Championship football ahead was galling to say the least.

Would have been better to have had a detailed look at the Championship title race and to hear from the different managers and personalities involved.

It's sad to hear how much Sportsound has degenrated. It's an Old Firm fanzine these days.

Totally agree. Sportsound I used to really like listening to in the past. I gave a listen on Sat as I thought they would have to focus on the other leagues. It was a total disgrace. 

Same with Off the Ball.

On 07/01/2024 at 19:43, Dons_1988 said:

They will use it to launch a discussion point on what rangers, and by association, Celtic need in the January transfer window. I’m sure of it. 

It will probably be something like this:

2:00 - 2:10 Chat about Ict v DU score from the Friday night (Big Dunc "what a character" and/or Goodwin "under massive pressure" briefly talk about Saturday fixtures.

2:10 - 2:40 Transfer chat about where premiership teams need to strengthen, which will just be Rangers/Celtic. Willie Collum, Var, Michael Beale comments about derby game away allocations. 

2:40 - 2:55 talk about other premiership clubs transfers (Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee) which will be "should Celtic/Rangers sign Miovski, Shankland, Beck" . Then ask Michael Stewart about Craig Levein at St Johnstone to try and get a reaction from him.

2:55 - 3:00 Championship team news.

3:00 onwards Open all Mics, speak about something in the English leagues. 

Edited by derektaylor84

21 hours ago, derektaylor84 said:

It will probably be something like this:

2:00 - 2:10 Chat about Ict v DU score from the Friday night (Big Dunc "what a character" and/or Goodwin "under massive pressure" briefly talk about Saturday fixtures.

2:10 - 2:40 Transfer chat about where premiership teams need to strengthen, which will just be Rangers/Celtic. Willie Collum, Var, Michael Beale comments about derby game away allocations. 

2:40 - 2:55 talk about other premiership clubs transfers (Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee) which will be "should Celtic/Rangers sign Miovski, Shankland, Beck" . Then ask Michael Stewart about Craig Levein at St Johnstone to try and get a reaction from him.

2:55 - 3:00 Championship team news.

3:00 onwards Open all Mics, speak about something in the English leagues. 

The big question is will Pat Bonner be sent this week or will he have another Saturday off? Was it just a coincidence there was no Celtic game last weekend and he was not featured .

Looking forward to seeing how the expressions of the necessity of success continue down the division in the Report Card podcasts.

Paul Lambert and Billiy Dodds have told us "you huv taw win every game" at Celtic/Rangers football club.

Now, even the magnificent and wonderful Gary Locke is hitting out with "at a club like Hearts you've got to get results".

Looking forward to hearing at which clubs it is not necessary to achieve good results.

56 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Looking forward to seeing how the expressions of the necessity of success continue down the division in the Report Card podcasts.

Paul Lambert and Billiy Dodds have told us "you huv taw win every game" at Celtic/Rangers football club.

Now, even the magnificent and wonderful Gary Locke is hitting out with "at a club like Hearts you've got to get results".

Looking forward to hearing at which clubs it is not necessary to achieve good results.

Paul Lambert might just be the thickest human currently alive.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Paul Lambert might just be the thickest human currently alive.

It's weird, but all the France 98 world cup squad come across as dumb or wankers.  McNamara is up there with Lambert.   Burley knows his stuff but is a w****r.  Dont even get me started on Collins or Calderwood. 

Edited by Hoose Rice

33 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

It's weird, but all the France 98 world cup squad come across as dumb or wankers.  McNamara is up there with Lambert.   Burley knows his stuff but is a w****r.  Dont even get me started on Collins or Calderwood. 

It's quite jarring with the likes of Lambert, Collins, and McNamara, who were all excellent players and feel like they should be relatively clever.

But they aren't.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's quite jarring with the likes of Lambert, Collins, and McNamara, who were all excellent players and feel like they should be relatively clever.

But they aren't.

I think the same, they have excellent footballing brains but little else. I would have settled for that mind you mate. 

10 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

I think the same, they have excellent footballing brains but little else. I would have settled for that mind you mate. 

There are always some exceptions. I knew Alan Gordon a little and he was a qualified accountant. Eddie Turnbull was his manager at Hibs and famously announced to the whole team "The trouble with you Gordon is that all your brains are in your heid!" Alan played for both Hearts & Hibs and was actually very good. He fell out with Hearts  Directors as he, Willie Wallace and Jim Cruickshank were those who'd try to negotiate pay rises/bonuses etc....😀

Cruickie used to get "holidays" when dropped at the Board's request (Kenny Garland would then play and it certainly cost Jim Scotland caps). Wallace was tapped up by Rangers but Jock Stein nipped in to sign him after Joe McBride's season ending injury. Gordon went to South Africa to get away from the Board BUT, on return, was still stuck attached to Hearts. They eventually sorted out a severance. Players just had no rights in those days.

4 minutes ago, Alberto Spencer said:

There are always some exceptions. I knew Alan Gordon a little and he was a qualified accountant. Eddie Turnbull was his manager at Hibs and famously announced to the whole team "The trouble with you Gordon is that all your brains are in your heid!" Alan played for both Hearts & Hibs and was actually very good. He fell out with Hearts  Directors as he, Willie Wallace and Jim Cruickshank were those who'd try to negotiate pay rises/bonuses etc....😀

Cruickie used to get "holidays" when dropped at the Board's request (Kenny Garland would then play and it certainly cost Jim Scotland caps). Wallace was tapped up by Rangers but Jock Stein nipped in to sign him after Joe McBride's season ending injury. Gordon went to South Africa to get away from the Board BUT, on return, was still stuck attached to Hearts. They eventually sorted out a severance. Players just had no rights in those days.

He played for Hibs in between spells at Dundee United and Dundee.