McDiarmid Park - North Stand coming down

St Johnstone are trying way too hard to be the northern equivalent of Queen of the South, first they've copied the all blue kits, then the red and black away kit and now they want a three sided stadium. I would have thought now that you have actually won something you'd move away from copying diddy teams.

St Johnstone are trying way too hard to be the northern equivalent of Queen of the South, first they've copied the all blue kits, then the red and black away kit and now they want a three sided stadium. I would have thought now that you have actually won something you'd move away from copying diddy teams.

We're not 'copying' we're 'improving' it.

amazingly short sighted. Accept it Stevie May wanted out and didn't want to stay. The club done remarkably well to get the money they did ( Johnny Russell prime example as he had caps and more games in top league but went for way less than May). When was the last time it was over 10k ??? When was the last time it was open for an entire season ?? Reality is, we do not 10k stadium. We have ideal chance to downsize and get creative( maybe safe standing stand ) while making a lovely bit of money to ensure our fantastic club is still here for many more years to come. Look at Livingston. Won cup. Chased dream and now a complete shambles. You should be grateful we have astute person running our club and not some careless ego maniac who chasing the impossible dream. Oh and a new stadium in town... Never ever going to happen

Last time it was over 10,000 was April 2000.

A few weeks ago there was talk that we could break the 10k mark for the match against Luzern. It didn't happen, but had Saints progressed past Spartak to the play-off? Very possible. The opportunity is there to get crowds like this and we both know it can happen again. We don't NEED 10,000 seats but I think it's necessary to have the capacity for the big occasions. If we installed safe-standing then it would soften the blow because we would be the first club in the top flight to do so and perhaps set an example to others. But even then I'd rather keep the North.

The bit in bold is laughable. What is there to suggest the club won't be here in years to come? Last I heard we were one of the best run clubs in Scotland. Now we need to knock a stand down to "ensure our club is still here for years to come"? Come off it :lol:

Last time it was over 10,000 was April 2000.

A few weeks ago there was talk that we could break the 10k mark for the match against Luzern. It didn't happen, but had Saints progressed past Spartak to the play-off? Very possible. The opportunity is there to get crowds like this and we both know it can happen again. We don't NEED 10,000 seats but I think it's necessary to have the capacity for the big occasions. If we installed safe-standing then it would soften the blow because we would be the first club in the top flight to do so and perhaps set an example to others. But even then I'd rather keep the North.

The bit in bold is laughable. What is there to suggest the club won't be here in years to come? Last I heard we were one of the best run clubs in Scotland. Now we need to knock a stand down to "ensure our club is still here for years to come"? Come off it :lol:

Surely the fact we've not had over 10,000 people in the stadium since 2000 tells it's own story? 14 years and the stadium is only 25 years old. It's extremely unlikely to happen again, unless we get a helicopter Sunday type scenario or perhaps play a properly big club in Europe.

The club have already confirmed I'm sure that we'd either put a smaller stand or a standing area there, so for me it's a no brainer if we do get the opportunity.

So 14 years ago we had over 10k and we still feel the need to keep that just incase we get a big game. Our success over last few years has mostly been down to being run correctly with no debt and money in the bank. So If we top this money up now then it again will ensure we are still in a very strong and healthy position to be here for many years.

Surely the fact we've not had over 10,000 people in the stadium since 2000 tells it's own story? 14 years and the stadium is only 25 years old. It's extremely unlikely to happen again, unless we get a helicopter Sunday type scenario or perhaps play a properly big club in Europe.

The club have already confirmed I'm sure that we'd either put a smaller stand or a standing area there, so for me it's a no brainer if we do get the opportunity.

Well the club better be true to it's word. I've just seen that Celtic have been denied permission by Glasgow City Council to install rail seats in Parkhead. Doesn't fill me with much hope if that means our council have to grant permission...we all know how incompetent they are.

If Saints could fit 1000 in a new terrace, fill in the 2 corners of the Ormond stand and segregate the away section of the Main stand with the money we receive then I'm all for it .

Never going to happen but would be great if it did.

Well the club better be true to it's word. I've just seen that Celtic have been denied permission by Glasgow City Council to install rail seats in Parkhead. Doesn't fill me with much hope if that means our council have to grant permission...we all know how incompetent they are.

I'm fairly sure that, if this was to happen, the council would give us permission. We'd be giving up one of our stands for their benefit, so I can't see what kind of objection they could raise.

Just heard that this is happening. A road will be branching from the A9 connecting to "west Perth." The aim is apparently to ease congestion on the Crieff road.

In addition to this, the decision will allow Geoff Brown to build more houses in the field behind the 208 and elsewhere across three A9 - allegedly.

Scandalous. The North Stand coming down will turn our stadium into an 3 stand mickey mouse ground. European ties have shown we have a use for the stand. Saints need a 10,000 seater stadium. This is probably old news to some Saintees but I think it's time this was brought to the attention of everyone. Absolutely depressing stuff.

Where have you picked this up from :lol: Its very old news and the plans have changed since 2011

You only have to go back to June of this year when the final plans were approved and reported in the papers

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/land-buyout-plans-to-pave-way-for-perth-expansion-1.438788

The key point being "Significant changes have been made to the proposals since they were approved in May 2012.

At the time, the North Stand of McDiarmid Park was going to be removed to make way for the new road network.

The design has since been altered to ensure the home of the Scottish Cup winners, St Johnstone, remains intact."

So these plans will never happen :huh:

mcdiarmidparksmallendfromweststand.jpg?w

The only thing that will need moved is the control centre for the undersoil heating which was built at the wrong end of the stadium

It takes around 30 hours for the warm water to fully defrost the Ormond stand end of the ground and with the low sun in the winter that's the one area of the ground that never sees any light in the winter. So while a low sun is defrosting the North stand end naturally so is the undersoil heating working its way down to the Ormond end. (Remember the fiasco against the original Rangers when that end of the pitch was rock hard and the rest of the pitch playable)

How modern is it though? Remember McDiarmid Park was the first purpose build football stadium in Scotland (UK?) and was a prototype at the time. I wouldn't say it's a modern structure.

It's modern enough to be made up of individual (and removeable) components...... .none of the stands are monolithically constructed.

A previous poster is quite correct though in saying that if it was structurally faulty it wouldn't be in use as it wouldn't have a safety certificate.

Archived