McDiarmid Park - North Stand coming down

Just heard that this is happening. A road will be branching from the A9 connecting to "west Perth." The aim is apparently to ease congestion on the Crieff road.

In addition to this, the decision will allow Geoff Brown to build more houses in the field behind the 208 and elsewhere across three A9 - allegedly.

Scandalous. The North Stand coming down will turn our stadium into an 3 stand mickey mouse ground. European ties have shown we have a use for the stand. Saints need a 10,000 seater stadium. This is probably old news to some Saintees but I think it's time this was brought to the attention of everyone. Absolutely depressing stuff.

Yeah Geoff Brown himself said at the original time that there were plans to build the road without touching the stand

10608804_10203614183173413_317383117_n.j

Route of new road. People here saying it's already been rejected but I spoke to a fairly reliable source last night that has said that this is definitely happening.

Another reason for this getting the go ahead is because Geoff Brown has allegedly said there is a "crack in the stand", so it's coming down anyway. Absolute disgrace if this is true.

Again short sighted st Johnstone fans who only see what they want. Any quick research will see that this benefits saints financially. Quite significant money . Secondly there will be a smaller stand put up in its place. As last night and big euro games show, we do not need nearly 11k seats.

Route of new road. People here saying it's already been rejected but I spoke to a fairly reliable source last night that has said that this is definitely happening.

Another reason for this getting the go ahead is because Geoff Brown has allegedly said there is a "crack in the stand", so it's coming down anyway. Absolute disgrace if this is true.

Hmmm.....not sure about that. The stand, like many modern structure is made of numerous components all of which can be removed and replaced relatively easily. Even if it were the foundations which were sinking......they could easily be underpinned.

Again short sighted st Johnstone fans who only see what they want. Any quick research will see that this benefits saints financially. Quite significant money . Secondly there will be a smaller stand put up in its place. As last night and big euro games show, we do not need nearly 11k seats.

Short-sighted my arse. Sell Stevie May - but think of the money! Produce shite kits with Joma - but think of the money! Knock a stand down, groundwill look shit but never mind - think of the money!!! I'm sick of this financial card being played, we've just won the Scottish fucking Cup but sold our star player and made 1 (correct me if I'm wrong) signing. What else is the club going to do to make money? Knock a stand down to sell land and build houses? Absolutely pathetic.

And, FWIW, the past has shown us we DO need these seats. We have had 10,000 people in McDiarmid Park numerous times before - who's to say it's not going to happen again? Besides, a smaller stand behind the goal is only going to make "lego land" look even worse. The best thing they could do is demolish the whole stadium, sell all that land and build a better 10,000 seater ground nearer the centre of town. But that will never happen of course.

Hmmm.....not sure about that. The stand, like many modern structure is made of numerous components all of which can be removed and replaced relatively easily.

How modern is it though? Remember McDiarmid Park was the first purpose build football stadium in Scotland (UK?) and was a prototype at the time. I wouldn't say it's a modern structure.

Short-sighted my arse. Sell Stevie May - but think of the money! Produce shite kits with Joma - but think of the money! Knock a stand down, groundwill look shit but never mind - think of the money!!! I'm sick of this financial card being played, we've just won the Scottish fucking Cup but sold our star player and made 1 (correct me if I'm wrong) signing. What else is the club going to do to make money? Knock a stand down to sell land and build houses? Absolutely pathetic.

And, FWIW, the past has shown us we DO need these seats. We have had 10,000 people in McDiarmid Park numerous times before - who's to say it's not going to happen again? Besides, a smaller stand behind the goal is only going to make "lego land" look even worse. The best thing they could do is demolish the whole stadium, sell all that land and build a better 10,000 seater ground nearer the centre of town. But that will never happen of course.

amazingly short sighted. Accept it Stevie May wanted out and didn't want to stay. The club done remarkably well to get the money they did ( Johnny Russell prime example as he had caps and more games in top league but went for way less than May). When was the last time it was over 10k ??? When was the last time it was open for an entire season ?? Reality is, we do not 10k stadium. We have ideal chance to downsize and get creative( maybe safe standing stand ) while making a lovely bit of money to ensure our fantastic club is still here for many more years to come. Look at Livingston. Won cup. Chased dream and now a complete shambles. You should be grateful we have astute person running our club and not some careless ego maniac who chasing the impossible dream. Oh and a new stadium in town... Never ever going to happen

amazingly short sighted. Accept it Stevie May wanted out and didn't want to stay. The club done remarkably well to get the money they did ( Johnny Russell prime example as he had caps and more games in top league but went for way less than May). When was the last time it was over 10k ??? When was the last time it was open for an entire season ?? Reality is, we do not 10k stadium. We have ideal chance to downsize and get creative( maybe safe standing stand ) while making a lovely bit of money to ensure our fantastic club is still here for many more years to come. Look at Livingston. Won cup. Chased dream and now a complete shambles. You should be grateful we have astute person running our club and not some careless ego maniac who chasing the impossible dream. Oh and a new stadium in town... Never ever going to happen

Agree with this to be honest. If we have the chance to ditch the stand that we don't really need, and replace it with a staff standing area where I'm sure the 'Young Team' etc would want to go to create an atmosphere, then I'm all for it. We don't need a 10,000 seater stadium and I think the money for this supposed inconvenience would really benefit the club going forward. There's plenty of scope for big away supports too - people might not like it, but there's no reason why the Saints fans can't go into 3 stands and away fans go into the East stand.

If the money this provides helps the club fund the team - probably youth development and other training facilities at the club rather than the immediate first team squad - we will see the benefits for years to come.

Archived