Sturgeon Coup Plot

DeeTillEhDeh

Indeed. And that's likely to happen in Scotland too. Except of course about the close referendum bit.

To compare the Quebec and Scottish independence campaigns would be unwise as a No voter as it's well recognised the Canadian government used numerous dirty tricks in order to achieve what was the slimmest of victories. The swing needed for a Yes vote was just 0.3% yet the percentage of spoilt papers came in at 1.8%.

The gerrymandering after the result in order to dilute the Yes campaign was also highly unethical. Essentially the Canadians cheated and lied before and after the referendum. Is that a post you wish to hitch your horse too?

If anything of the two situations I highlighted the Czech/Slovak one has greater parallels to the Scottish situation. Granted this is where the government at the time took the decision to separate without a mandate yet the results have been highly positive, both on the Czech and Slovak sides of the border.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To compare the Quebec and Scottish independence campaigns would be unwise as a No voter as it's well recognised the Canadian government used numerous dirty tricks in order to achieve what was the slimmest of victories. The swing needed for a Yes vote was just 0.3% yet the percentage of spoilt papers came in at 1.8%.

The gerrymandering after the result in order to dilute the Yes campaign was also highly unethical. Essentially the Canadians cheated and lied before and after the referendum. Is that a post you wish to hitch your horse too?

If anything of the two situations I highlighted the Czech/Slovak one has greater parallels to the Scottish situation. Granted this is where the government at the time took the decision to separate without a mandate yet the results have been highly positive, both on the Czech and Slovak sides of the border.

Remind us again how long the Slovak/Czech currency union lasted after (private and commercial) investment started flooding across into the Czech Republic. Just over a month wasn't it?

The gerrymandering after the result in order to dilute the Yes campaign was also highly unethical. Essentially the Canadians cheated and lied before and after the referendum. Is that a post you wish to hitch your horse to?

Did you really ask that of a seething Thatcherite?

To compare the Quebec and Scottish independence campaigns would be unwise as

Agreed.

There was a chance Quebec might have become independent. It was a really close race.

Not at all analogous to the cakewalk this one is for No.

It's all getting a bit Comical Ali in here of late.

It has been for some time.

"The polls are wrong... Yes are winning" Yeah, i know that every single polling organisation shows we are having our arses handed to us on a plate, but beleeve.

The referendum is a once in a generation thing. I believe Salmond has been quoted to that effect. There's no chance of there being another soon.

The SNP have learned their lessons from the 1990s. What they will do after September is explore the gradual approach and seek to increase the powers of the SP.

Congratulations H_B.

You've once again written a post which I fully agree with. It will be a generation before it happens again (maybe 10 years at the very earliest) and the SNP will know that they will damage their long-term interests if they push for one before that. They'll settle down and focus on building their reputation in the parliament - and like you say increasing the powers of Holyrood.

For the last few months your opposition to Scottish independence has taken hold of you - its become an obsession. I used to think (probably last year when I joined) that you made some quite pertinent points - an interesting and thought-provoking poster. I still think you might have that in you.

It has been for some time.

"The polls are wrong... Yes are winning" Yeah, i know that every single polling organisation shows we are having our arses handed to us on a plate, but beleeve.

Yeah, you'll need to point me to a post where a Yes supporter said we're winning.

He is 59 years of age!

You are a lot of things and now we know you are ageist also.

So is he getting younger or not?

That would be an impressive feat!

The sub-heading of the story says the source is an ex-MP, while the fourth paragraph says the story comes from a "former MSP."

Could it be both? Could the Express's source in fact be... Alex Salmond himself?!?

Or is the Express just terrible at journalism, and unable to make even it's own made-up stories internally consistent?

I'd guess, if there is a source, it's somebody like George Laird, who was never an SNP MP or MSP at all, just a former party member who now nurses a volcanic grudge against Salmond and Sturgeon.

I mean, c'mon - the story even says Derek Mackay could run as a leadership candidate. This news supposedly comes from "party insiders." :lol:

The sub-heading of the story says the source is an ex-MP, while the fourth paragraph says the story comes from a "former MSP."

Could it be both? Could the Express's source in fact be... Alex Salmond himself?!?

Or is the Express just terrible at journalism, and unable to make even it's own made-up stories internally consistent?

I'd guess, if there is a source, it's somebody like George Laird, who was never an SNP MP or MSP at all, just a former party member who now nurses a volcanic grudge against Salmond and Sturgeon.

I mean, c'mon - the story even says Derek Mackay could run as a leadership candidate. This news supposedly comes from "party insiders." :lol:

I think that's what threw me with the lists - I did read MSP but then saw MP at top.

Archived