Kilmarnock v Motherwell - 23/08/14

Not long back, another enjoyable day out ruined by the football!

Dire stuff.

Someone will have to explain McCall's tactics to me again, to my eyes it looked like we lined up in a 4-3-1-2 formation with Law, Lasley and Leitch in a narrow midfiled three with Vigurs in the hole behind the strikers.

Cannae disagree with the first two parts but formation wise I thought it was just a standard 4-4-2 with Leitch wide left and Law wide right. Well, not that wide, because we had no width but I think that was just players coming inside because they aren't natural wide players.

We need a settled side in a settled set up. I've seen us 4 times this season and we've had 4 different left backs and Josh Law has played 4 different positions.

I keep hearing about how great a manager Stuart McCall is but if his Plan A doesn't work, first XI in a 4-4-2, it seems to me he's lost.

Everyone at the club needs to step it up but our squad is a shambles, totally unbalanced. Is it simplistic to think that we should have a 22 man first team squad with 2 players for each postion and a similar youth set up so that if an injury situation like the one we are going through occurs, a player can step right in in his principle position?

Forget that, we haven't even had a wide left player for 2 seasons never mind more than 1!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not long back, another enjoyable day out ruined by the football!

Well at least this week we looked capable of passing the ball to one an another which was a marked improvement on last week, however the end result was the same with very few if any chances created and chances being made far too easily by the opposition. I actually thought the 1st half was pretty even, Killie dominated the early stages before we came back into and were in top for the last 15-20 mins of the half. However by the time we came into it we could and should have been a few down. Need to see it again but on first viewing Muirhead's goal appeared to go straight through Twardzik, a decent enough strike but one that I thought he should have done better with. He redeemed himself by making several saves in particular the one from point blank range from Magennis. We then came back into it but created very little, still would like to see the Pascali/Sutton incident again though.

Second half I thought we'd come out fighting but Killie always looked fairly comfortable and in control. McCall waited far to long to change it and by the time he did we were a man down and two goals down. Overall we were well beaten in most areas and only a few good saves by Twardzik kept the score down. Samson meanwhile much like Brill last week never had a save to make. Four games, three defeats, only one goal and about five shots on target so far for us this season. Dire stuff.

Someone will have to explain McCall's tactics to me again, to my eyes it looked like we lined up in a 4-3-1-2 formation with Law, Lasley and Leitch in a narrow midfiled three with Vigurs in the hole behind the strikers. Which might work if you have to pacey flying wing backs providing width but we had Reid who was fucking awful again at right back and a right footed central midfielder with no left foot in Carswell at left back. Law flattered to depceive again and contributed very little yet played the full 90 again as did Lasley who again didn't contribute a great deal. Also if we have no width, Sutton has no service so once again spent the full 90 running down blind alleys out wide and falling over whenever someone came near him. Ojamaa showed flashes but still looked well short of match sharpness and fluffed his lines when he was through on goal. Far too much of our football was played in front of Killie and very rarely did we manage to cut them open, the only one for us that looked capable was Vigurs who was a class apart from his teammates. His passing and vision is a joy to watch and anything we did came through him, about the only positive today was having him back.

Killlie done what they had to do today, Magennis in particular was certainly a handful and bullied McManus at times. Just fortunate for us he's not very good at football or he could have had a hat-trick today. The defence strolled it and Samson could have sat next to me for all he had to do. Cracking free kick Clingan as well. A deserved three points.

For us that's three defeats in a row and another game without creating a chance. Slow and predictable in the build up and still shaky and hesitant at the back. Big changes required, does McCall have the balls to make them? I won't hold my breath..

Nice honest appraisal, more bollocks than the Well team today!

Cannae disagree with the first two parts but formation wise I thought it was just a standard 4-4-2 with Leitch wide left and Law wide right. Well, not that wide, because we had no width but I think that was just players coming inside because they aren't natural wide players.

We need a settled side in a settled set up. I've seen us 4 times this season and we've had 4 different left backs and Josh Law has played 4 different positions.

Most of the time it's hard to tell what McCall's going for. For me Vigurs looked like he was playing through the middle in a more advanced role and from what I could see both Law and Leitch were tucking in and playing more centrally than as wide men. Whether that was the plan or whether the fact neither Leitch or Law are natural wide men forced them inside only McCall will know.

However after 80 painful minutes in which we had no pace or width, he finally brings on Ainsworth for Ojamaa and sticks him upfront in a like for like swap. Cause that'll solve all our problems Stuart. In an open game on a big pitch we were crying out for some pace and width, Ainsworth and Thomas were both on the bench and one or both should have been on much earlier but instead McCall waits until there's 10 minutes to go by which time the game had gone.

Honestly, the fact the McCall sat and watched that for 80 minutes without making a change in personal, tactics or formation means he must have thought it was working. That's what worries me most.

For those who haven't seen or can't see the highlights...

1-0 Kilmarnock, Robbie Muirhead. Second angle definitely shows that the 'keeper should have done better.

bfwqt_zps5116c4dc.gif?t=1408831786

bfwph_zpsaf69b720.gif?t=1408831799

Pascali/Sutton incident. Pascali was silly to lunge, but there was little contact and Sutton clearly takes a touch before going down. Good call from Collum.

bfwyl_zpsc3ac500f.gif?t=1408831795

Kerr sending off. As blatant as you're likely to see.

bfx0p_zps03b1d0b1.gif?t=1408831809

bfx1i_zps5a78f63b.gif?t=1408831766

2-0 Kilmarnock. A sweeter free-kick you're unlikely to see. Lovely stuff.

bfwsp_zps1c8360fa.gif?t=1408831787

bfwua_zps19a51a67.gif?t=1408831783

love how the ball is in the back of the net before the well keeper does his dive :lol:

talking of dives, shocking one by Sutton, he was at it the whole match, spent more time trying to con the ref than he did with the actual ball

talking of dives, shocking one by Sutton, he was at it the whole match, spent more time trying to con the ref than he did with the actual ball

Thought Sutton was dreadful today, looked like he couldn't be arsed at times. Couldn't decide if he was diving or just couldn't be hooped running any more.

Was good to see Magennis bullying that back line - if only he could finish...

Thought Sutton was dreadful today, looked like he couldn't be arsed at times. Couldn't decide if he was diving or just couldn't be hooped running any more.

Was good to see Magennis bullying that back line - if only he could finish...

...then he wouldn't be at Killie.

The lad has everything you'd want from a striker - except for that composure in front of goal. Hopefully he gets a few on Tuesday and he can 'do a Sammon' ala what he did after the Morton cup game in '09.

...then he wouldn't be at Killie.

The lad has everything you'd want from a striker - except for that composure in front of goal. Hopefully he gets a few on Tuesday and he can 'do a Sammon' ala what he did after the Morton cup game in '09.

Hope springs eternal, but Sammon does spring to mind: reckon there's a few in him if he begins to take his chances. I think. Mibbe.

See to be honest, I don't think Sutton is really a diver. I actually just think he's the most unbalanced and uncoordinated man in the world. He runs about and falls down like he's wearing bloody roller skates!

See to be honest, I don't think Sutton is really a diver. I actually just think he's the most unbalanced and uncoordinated man in the world. He runs about and falls down like he's wearing bloody roller skates!

I'm giving the big man some leeway due to his goals last year..... But he has been rank rotten....

Once Erwin is fit I would start him and Henrik up top.

My highlight of the game has to be the Biblical Preacher, before the start of the match, warning everyone that the end of the world is happening today.

Is this what happens when Josh Magennis scores for Kilmarnock?

My highlight of the game has to be the Biblical Preacher, before the start of the match, warning everyone that the end of the world is happening today.

I think I know the fella you're talking about - about a month ago I was playing bowls at the Portland not far from Rugby Park and this old boy kept shouting that we were all sinners and that our only salvation would be through some fella called "Jee-zus". Oh well.

As for yesterday, wasn't a single sinner in our team. Missed the first 15 mins due to working at the Chadwick End, but big Robbie's goal seems to be a cracker from QLP's gifs. Just hope it doesn't go to his head, seems like the kind of guy who's got a fair auld ego on him.

I was surprised at how poor Motherwell were - as much as we played well (our defending was good, surprised me given how poor it was last year), we won't get it nearly as easy most weeks. Tough game away to ICT next week, I'd be happy with a draw up there.

Blethering on about Armageddon. Didn't have time to check if was Stuart Reagan.

Not got a good feeling about this; I'm going for 2-0 Killie and the Well to start picking up the points next week. :(

f**k sake. :(

I never 'got' reverse psychology..

Archived