The Barnett Formula

Confidemus

What you describe is fiscal equalisation not fiscal autonomy.

How so? As far as I am aware, none of the UK parties have promised full control of all tax raising and crucially oil revenue.

Therefore devo max is a bodge designed to rip us off whilst keeping our wealth.

Do you seriously believe that a Scottish govt would be able to afford to set an income tax rate lower than the UK?

Given the certain future UK austerity cuts and the equally certain removal of Barnett, the UK govt is going to have a field day in slashing Scottish public spending. The "compromise" will be further tax raising powers for the parlaiment.

This is a con.

Scottish taxes would have to rise to keep the same public spending levels.

To think otherwise is quite naive.

A bit like your daily threads. You seem to think that continually ramming your opinion down people's throats will somehow influence their decision.

It won't

My daily threads? I see. You'll provide evidence of course of the 264 threads I've created this year. Or, you could be talking shite. As is evidenced by your second piece of whinging. I've stated numerous times that I don't for one second believe I influence anyone on bere.

Swing and a spectacular miss.

My daily threads? I see. You'll provide evidence of course of the 264 threads I've created this year. Or, you could be talking shite. As is evidenced by your second piece of whinging. I've stated numerous times that I don't for one second believe I influence anyone on bere.

Swing and a spectacular miss.

He's either confusing you with CB or seen the 10950 post count and assumed you are creating the threads.

I have supported the principle of fiscal autonomy for a long time now. I know the likes of Bob McLean (sadly missed) did a lot of work around the idea of a reverse block grant and other forms of fiscal autonomy.

If there is a NO do you think the SNP will push for fiscal autonomy if (as is likely) they are elected at the next Scottish Parliament elections?

Full fiscal autonomy wouldn't work unless all taxes raised in Scotland were collected by Holyrood, and then the appropriate share passed on to Westminster for whatever collective projects the money was required for. That would have to include all taxes though, not just income tax. That level of federalism though is not on offer by anyone except the marginalised Lib Dems and simply giving us partial control of income tax (as Labour perhaps might) will make no fundamental difference to us.

Full fiscal autonomy wouldn't work unless all taxes raised in Scotland were collected by Holyrood, and then the appropriate share passed on to Westminster for whatever collective projects the money was required for. That would have to include all taxes though, not just income tax. That level of federalism though is not on offer by anyone except the marginalised Lib Dems and simply giving us partial control of income tax (as Labour perhaps might) will make no fundamental difference to us.

Just image what the reply would be when HM Government approached the Scottish Government and asked for a contribution towards HS2. :lol:

Public spending should indeed be influenced by need.

This encourages ineffective use of resources as waste will lead to more need.

Also I find the term need to he wholly subjective. Did London/SE need HS1? Do we need HS2? Do we need Trident? Do we need free prescriptions? Do we need free personal care? As I said, subjective.

Thing is the things like Trident, defence etc come out of the full UK budget not the Barnett formula. Barnett is used to determine how much money is given out to the devolved assemblies, and how much money can be spent on "England only" projects (FWIW, I find it ABHORRENT that HS2 comes out of the "entire UK" section of the budget) - I often find myself wondering what the English spend money on that is saved by prescription charges and tuition fees. The answer is there isn't any, because in Scotland we get more money per head.

Thing is the things like Trident, defence etc come out of the full UK budget not the Barnett formula. Barnett is used to determine how much money is given out to the devolved assemblies, and how much money can be spent on "England only" projects (FWIW, I find it ABHORRENT that HS2 comes out of the "entire UK" section of the budget) - I often find myself wondering what the English spend money on that is saved by prescription charges and tuition fees. The answer is there isn't any, because in Scotland we get more money per head.

And you are a math's student. Perhaps you should learn basic arithmetic first. :huh:

There is one pot of money from which all expenditure is derived, when projects like HS1 and trident are financed this is before Barnett is calculated and therefore affect directly the amount of money that Scotland receives.

Archived