A nightmare scenario

Mr Bairn

Can we have a CU with the UK IF we are in the EU but they elect to leave?

Seems a fair question to me, I honestly believe a CU would only last a maximum of 10 years if that long before the 2 countries moved in different directions policy wise and economically but in terms of the rUK being out of the EU and iScotland being in I don't think this would prevent a CU but would make it al little more complicated. rUK even outside the EU would surely have to operate similar to Norway in that it has to abide by many EU rules and regulations within the EEA without being a member of the EU in order to trade with the EU countries this would surely be the same for the rUK unless they have no intentions of trading with the EU which in my opinion is highly unlikely.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Scotland become such a wonderfull beacon of welfare and free cash for everyone I wonder how many million socially excluded downtrodden English families will flee to us in search of a better life...

You have to love the Bitter Together fuckwits.

If we vote yes the economy will be fucked and suddenly it's ARMAGEDDON.

However if we vote yes the economy will succeed and suddenly it's ARMAGEDDON.

When Scotland become such a wonderfull beacon of welfare and free cash for everyone I wonder how many million socially excluded downtrodden English families will flee to us in search of a better life...

Or we could just stay with the UK and get a £1400 "Union Dividend". I don't suppose you know where to collect these from do you?

Perhaps they could all stay in your gaff. I'm sure they'll appreciate your QE2 tea towels.

How would a country vetoing membership help crush their own internal secession movements?

Especially when they are not even close to being equal. The UK has agreed to the Referendum, while neither Spain nor Belgium have or will. Lets not forget the whole premise that Scotland is a recognised Country, and neither Catalonia is (since Aragon's full annexation into Castille under the Bourbon Kings) nor Wallonia are. In fact the one nation, that has most to fear is Denmark (with the Faroe Islands - which has a kind of system that we do, with the UK) - and last time I checked they were more than happy to see Scotland join the wider community.

It's amazing how many countries are willing to cut their own financial throats just to prove a point in a fight they don't have a dog in - if you pardon my mix of metaphors.

Scotland in the EU would benefit all the EU countries, the rUK included, yet if you believe the Bitter camp then all of the continent is rushing to block our involvement. A currency union would benefit both Scotland and rUK, yet once again if you believe the Bitter camp then Westminster is willing to turn it's back on billions of pounds for their policies to prove a petty political point? It's just not a sustainable argument.

ARMAGEDDON!

"Scotland is a country that is part of the United Kingdom". Happy to help an IT Assistant such as yourself :)

I'd like to add my agreement to the obvious fact that Scotland is a country.

HTH.

New rumours of Belgium vetoing iScotland's EU membership.

Well that's it I've had enough and I'm voting no. If Belgium just might not be in then neither am I! Damn crazy Belgians with their wheat beer and really nasty service stations!!!

It's amazing how many countries are willing to cut their own financial throats just to prove a point in a fight they don't have a dog in - if you pardon my mix of metaphors.

Scotland in the EU would benefit all the EU countries, the rUK included, yet if you believe the Bitter camp then all of the continent is rushing to block our involvement. A currency union would benefit both Scotland and rUK, yet once again if you believe the Bitter camp then Westminster is willing to turn it's back on billions of pounds for their policies to prove a petty political point? It's just not a sustainable argument.

ARMAGEDDON!

When was this? I don't recall anything of the sort. I do recall stating of the obvious, ie all member countries must agree to Scotland joining and that there is a risk that won't happen, but that's merely stating facts. Helpful in an election campaign I would have thought.

Regarding the recent news that Spain and Belgium may block Scotland's application, were an application made. They might, they might not. My view is that Spain would not block, Belgium might but unlikely. There are two other member states who are a bit sniffy about it but who knows what they will do. I remain of the opinion that Scotland would get into the EU fairly easily but that the timescales quoted by Salmond are ridiculous. It will take a lot longer than 16 months or so. Minimum pricing on alcohol has been outstanding for longer than Salmond thinks it will take to get into the EU. He is deliberately misleading the electorate.

Your view on a currency union is an opinion. There are only two circumstances that will see Scotland in a currency union and one of those is joining the Euro. The other is unpalatable to the SNP.

When was this? I don't recall anything of the sort. I do recall stating of the obvious, ie all member countries must agree to Scotland joining and that there is a risk that won't happen, but that's merely stating facts.

You'd think that was just stating facts (which it is) but it's important to ermember that the Scottish Government lied to the public for some time, when telling them that this wasn't going to be required, and that we wuold inherit membership as of right, with the same opt outs and rebates the UK currently enjoys.

Always important to distrust what the SG tells you - it is often absolute shite. As proved to be the case here, embarrassingly for them.

Archived