Derek Adams Sacked!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not going to happen, but one person I could see solidifying us til the end of the season and maybe keeping us up would be Walter Smith.

Not been particularly inspired by any of the names mentioned as of yet. Not only do we need a manager of substance, but we also need someone who's capable/reputable enough to come in and give the whole club a lift (if we're serious about staying in the top flight that is)

Barry Robson would be an interesting appointment if he did turn out to be interested. Good, well respected professional with plenty of contacts in the game who could do well with the backing of a good chairman. Ian Murray would merit a chance if he got it and Butcher would do well I'm sure.

Lennon comes across as a hell of a good bloke, but, for me just doesn't seem to have the spark that we will need to get us going again.

Shiels seems to have a bit more steel, but after being sacked by Morton........ :-(

I think Lennons experience in fighting relegation makes him a possibility, while I presume the sacking of Adam snr means County are going to try and re-energise their youth squad, and Shiels is capable of talking his way into a job by bringing up his youth policy at Killie.

Pretty sure Shiels has a job coaching somewhere though, and is relatively happy.

Spanish guy sounds a bit dodgy, tbh. Under achieved with Las Palmas in the Spanish second division and sacked after his team crumbled to a loss after being two goals up. Maybe its just the general xenophobia every Scottish football fan has about a foreign manager, but in general they do seem to struggle to integrate the style of play they want and aren't that willing to experiment with tactics.

Why is Neale cooper in the odds if we recently sacked him as assistant

To be fair, that was Del & George that let him go.

But, there's no chance Roy will be having Neale back.

The problem is its not just a manager we need now, by all accounts George and Derek were obsessives (is that a word) and did everything from picking the team to organising buses, hotels and probably just about everything else.

Presumably with the Global empire that McGregor runs he has plenty resources to fill these holes now.

Which makes me wonder what the real reason Swanson appeared back on the scene a few weeks ago? All part of the plan?

Just speculating here as usual I'm probably talking pish.

The problem is its not just a manager we need now, by all accounts George and Derek were obsessives (is that a word) and did everything from picking the team to organising buses, hotels and probably just about everything else.

Presumably with the Global empire that McGregor runs he has plenty resources to fill these holes now.

Which makes me wonder what the real reason Swanson appeared back on the scene a few weeks ago? All part of the plan?

Just speculating here as usual I'm probably talking pish.

The Adams' pretty much ran the show. Swanson's return was Roy trying to take back control, and inevitably ousting George eventually.

Derek Adams was clearly an excellent manager for County. He took them over in the seaside leagues and lead them into the top six of the SPL, with a couple of league wins and a cup final on the way. County's club culture before Adams took over was heavily influenced by Alex Smith, a negative emphasis of performance over results and the Largs-speak of passing football, liking 'wee strikers' etc. Adams focussed on achievement and built an excellent group of players which County's ascent to the SPL was based on.

If you want to critically examine his tenure then he built his title winning team on solid, dependable First Division-winner players. He built his team around Munro, Brittain, Vigurs, Gardyne, McMenamin - it was really a triumph of experience, organisation and solidity over any innovative team-building or tactics. Nothing wrong with that of course, the objective is to win the league and they did that by miles. I'd compare it to the Caley team that John Robertson took to the First Division title - he signed Barry WIlson and David Bingham, both experienced at that level and tightened up, improved organisation and we bagged the title.

The period where Adams impressed me as a manager was when he rebuilt his side in the January 2013 window. He'd shown that he could put together an organised First Division side and do OK in the SPL but in signing Ikonomou, Sproule, Wohlfarth etc he freshened up his side and took them into the top six. It showed that he could operate outside the markets he'd used previously. Where he fell down was that he couldn't build a sustainable team the wayhe did in 2011-12 in that way, leading to the mass intakes of the last couple of windows. To me, it was reminiscent of the business Livingston did in the seaons before they went down, everything bought in a panicked way, without great thought as to an overall plan.

Adams' character and personality has also come under scrutiny. Leaving aside what opposition fans think of the man I think his manner may have contributed to some of the problems County had last season and this. I've always thought that a sniping negative manager can set the wrong tone for a club and that positivity is important. You have to assume Adams' didn't say the same things to the players that he did to the press but there was often a negative feeling around the club. Adams obviously demanded high standards but part of that is dealing with failure and perhaps he didn't do that in a way that inspired his players. While I appreciate that some of the players carping about him on Twitter were binned by him, I've never seen former players rejoice over a managers sacking like that before, and I've also thought that some of the transfer dealings were a bit strange. Grant Munro started five games in a row last season and was then released to sign for Brora, the club captain? County went on to look very weak in central defence last seaon (and this). Munro is too much of a gent to say anything though.

From a fan's perspective, I'll miss him, he's exactly the sort of person you want managing your local rivals. Hopefully County don't go for some meh appointment and go for Butcher, if only for the derbies, and the LOLtastic relegation.

Despite being too long, I did read.

It would be interesting to take view on his abilities in the hypothetical context of not being afforded the luxury of uncle's largesse.

All the six monthly re-hiring would not have been possible if he had only local rather than global finance to call upon.

Archived