Yes voters: Do you think it will happen?

Reckon it'll probably be a NO, sadly, but closer than I ever thought it would be, maybe 52/48. I've always believed we'll get independence, but that it would be an incremental process through increased powers for the parliament, rather than a Big Bang. That almost half the country are now pro-independence is progress in itself.

Still hopeful we can do it, though.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's another thing, if Yes are to get high forties on polling day then I think Westminster would need to really pull out the stops to prevent us going independent in 20 years time. I think the only thing that would convert some people back to No would be a federal UK with regional parliaments in England and they all get Devo-Max such that Westminster is reduced to a defence and foreign affairs remit.

The cynic in me suggests that the actual tactic used to prevent independence would be to simply utilise their constitutional right not to allow any further Scottish referenda.

A couple of weeks ago I had all but given up hope, but in the last week or so I can defintely feel a wind of change

This is mainly down to the things people have already mentioned - Salmond handing eyebrows his arse and #patronisingbtlady. There are other more encouraging signs though - people I never thought in a million years (bigoted Rangers fans) would vote yes are starting to see the light.

The amount of work being put in at grassroots level, especially in deprived areas in Glasgow gives me great cause for optimism. I read today that the radical independence group are helping people in the east end that have never voted before, register and scores of them are committing to the yes vote. There was also the picture in the Evening Times of the street in Glasgow where every single garden has a yes flag planted in it. If we can really hammer the message home in Glasgow's largest housing schemes, we'll be well on our way. Really hammer home just how much the disgraceful Labour Party has let them down for decades and decades and how they are now in bed with the Tories to protect their own selfish, interests at the expense of their loyal voters. The same can be said for all of the post industrial towns and villages across Scotland.

Really heartening as well to see the absolute contempt and disdain for the dispicable Jim Murphy in the traditionally staunch Labour areas of Motherwell and Dundee, We could really have done without the clown in Kirkcaldy egging him right enough. We shouldn't be giving the biased media anymore ammunition.

Lets do this Scotland.

I don't know. I've not been well and therefore not been out canvassing at all this week. Hope to be back on track by Monday but it's time lost and I'm not too confident I can make up the difference. Guess it'll probably be a No. :(

I think it will end up 47-53.

The case that you can be a proud Brit, yet hate the UK hasn't been made. Make it and the games over.

Why do you need to prove hate?

I'm voting Yes for my own future, my family's future & my country's future - not because I hate someone/something

Similar to what's been said, I'm feeling a lot better about the referendum outcome and the momentum is turning towards yes hopefully it's not too little too late. But I think the shift left in the debates and an apathy towards the establishment has helped YES do well in the cities. I'm worried that it'll come down to terrified old people, the Helen Lovejoys or Rangers fans.

Why do you need to prove hate?

I'm voting Yes for my own future, my family's future & my country's future - not because I hate someone/something

and many Brit-nats are voting Naw because of their love of being 'British' (failing to recognise we'll be British if its a Yes or No) and therefore voting for the UK union.

and many Brit-nats are voting Naw because of their love of being 'British' (failing to recognise we'll be British if its a Yes or No) and therefore voting for the UK union.

Leave the hate to the Britnats then. It's no reason for anyone sensible to base their vote upon.

That overplayed Roy Hodgson gif stretched out over a timespan of the next few weeks, will be an excellent summation of me believing the hype that we could just do it, only to falter at the death and let b*****ding feeling of knowing it wasn't going to happen all along.

I'd like to think that's me mentally prepared for a no vote, but I'll still probably be quietly seething.

I'm no' sure.

But it's hard to see a better opportunity than the one we have now. Is it likely that any future Yes campaign will be graced with fortuitous million pound donations from Euromillions winners and dead poets? Will Westminster ever again be so self-discredited by obvious fiscal incompetence, punitive and regressive austerity programmes, a dozen historic scandals a week (from embedded paedo rings to state-sanctioned murders), and a bloody permanent-war ethos into the bargain - look how unhappy they were that they didn't get permission to go into Syria. Now they want to go back in Iraq.

Actually, aye, Westminster probably will be in this state of disarray again in future....continuously.... but it's still a boon to the Yes campaign.

Then you have the Better Together campaign itself... the gift that just keeps giving. If the Yes campaign was as good as the No campaign is bad, we'd be aw the road awready.

If we don't do it now, when we gonna do it, eh?

Can't allow myself to feel optimistic about a yes vote. People are afraid, well some at least, while others can't see past salmond and think a yes vote is a personal vote for him. That being said, I can feel momentum is with the yes vote. It will be a close run thing, but I fear that come the 19th my country that I love will be dead to me and shame will be overlying emotion . I really hope that I am wrong.

Yes all the way for me, If anything the Yes campaign seems to be getting stronger and stronger on the road with all the meetings with Sturgeon and co. Haven't been to any of them but she is apparently gaining loads of new Yes voters after every show. Also hear Tommy Sheridan is giving it large with Fire and brimstone encouraging loads of Yes votes up and down the country as well. For the life of me I have not heard any No campaign rallies anywhere.

For the life of me I have not heard any No campaign rallies anywhere.

That's because they are massive, massive shitebags and have bottled practically every invite to public speaking thus far.

At the start of the campaign I had it at 60/40 no. I'm now thinking it will be 51/49 either way. Far closer than I anticipated and now quietly confident Yes might actually manage it.

Setting myself up for massive disappointment with this hope.

On polling day Scots will wake up an realise we cant wipe our own arse and cant survive without Englands handouts.

Crushing disappointment for YES coming up. And if we decide to say NO then we should expect Holyrood to be abolished. We dont deserve it.

I'm trying not allow optimism to creep in; it's the hope that kills you. I think No will just edge it but I've just stuck £110 on Yes polling over 42.5% at 10/11 with Ladbrokes - should pay for sorrow drowning drinks on Sept 19th.

yes polling over 42.5% at the 10/11 a licence to print money. It was down to 43.5% at 10/11 ended up only putting £40 on it as I just couldn't understand what the woman meant by to win with 40-45% of the vote was 2-1 and to win with 45-50% was 7/2 I think anyone no what she was talking about? how can you win with 40%?

Archived