St Johnstone vs Dundee - 13/09/14

Baz you're a closet glory hunter , u were spotted drinking with said farmers before the cup final . HERE TO SEE THE SAINTEES ! YOU'RE ONLY HERE TO SEE THE SAINTEES, CUP WINNING SAINTEES !

Massive st Johnstone fan that day. Frightened my wife and kids celebrating the goals.

It's pretty tragic but I prob have a wee soft spot for he saintees now and will probably have you as my wee team.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, several Dees have openly admitted to supporting St Johnstone for that day. Such is the bitterness of our rivalry, of course.

Every team you play is a rival , Creating rivalry . It is the choice of individuals to add the bitterness . I am probably bitter but it's not exclusive to local rivals , i hate aw c**t .

Every team you play is a rival , Creating rivalry . It is the choice of individuals to add the bitterness . I am probably bitter but it's not exclusive to local rivals , i hate aw c**t .

Well we can come together over common ground there, ya c**t.

The thought of any of our wide men against Gary Irvine in a left back position makes me moist, and if not him the alternative is Willie Dyer? Is this some kind of trap?

Really looking forward to this one, am I right in thinking Dundee have been trying to play out from the back? If so I reckon we just roll out the game plan for the Arabs, press them high force mistakes and, ya know, win.

Roberts pace is a sight concern although I'll be happy if he lines up on the right against Easton. Will MacDonald play? he was pretty rotten when fit for us before he left but would still be tricky I reckon always good at holding the ball up and linking play and he will probably score because that kind of thing always seems to happen.

I think we'd all be delighted if Dundee started with Dyer and Irvine as the full backs, Thomson, McGowan and Harkins in the midfield and Peaso wasn't playing. Our midfield wins us games, and we've history or running right over the three I've named, just a shame Muzz isn't fit yet.

Criticism of Dyer seems harsh. He was alright for us but never stood a chance with Stanic in the side, the irony being he would have stood a good chance of making the position his own if he'd held on for six months as Stanic turned down a new contract and McInnes went a whole season without being able to sign a (decent) left back. I think the Dundee fans themselves know Irvine isn't up to the top flight though.

We all know Irvine isn't good enough and he should have been punted at the end of last season. He gets more criticism than he deserves though and he's done well the last couple of games especially considering he was playing out of position. We really need McGinn and Dyer back because playing Irvine and Roberts on the same side would give me the fear.

Irvine is just like many players that don't make the step up. McCaffrey and Rutkiewicz, to name another two, couldn't manage it either with us. Thistle fans will probably say the same about some of their players from last season, maybe Aaron Muirhead for example. Paul Hartley seemed to be in the fortunate position where he could ditch a lot of players he wasn't sure about as they were both out of contract and maybe more crucially, he didn't have any sense of loyalty towards them having only been at the club a few months.

My main issue with Irvine in the SPL was he seemed to lose any sense of composure. His first thought when he got the ball was just to play it up the line aimlessly. He was never the best defender in the first place but had been a good attacking full back in the First Division. I think he was a player most of us would have expected to be one of the players to make the step up too.

Irvine won our PotY a few year back and after that season he just turned to - pish. Never seen a RB that was so good, turn so bad. He managed to displace Eric Paton, who back in the day was a very classy right back for us and a mainstay in the side, so he done very well to become first choice RB. Ever since though, he barely knows how to find a man, has zero composure and can't tackle. Cracking at stealing yards for throw-ins though.

He's played very well at LB since he came in again though. Playing more like his old self, although obviously struggles with certain aspects of playing at LB. Perhaps he was just too comfortable in his position until Hartley came in. He'll have a massive fight on his hands to be at the club longer than the end of the season as Paul McGinn looks to be a top attacking RB and we have Cammy Kerr beginning to breakthrough who looks as if he'll be a top talent for us.

Irvine made one of the best goal line clearances I've ever seen.

0-0 draw at Firhill? Remember taking quite a few non-saintee mates to that game as it was near my uni halls. Diving header off the line, was as good as a goal!

0-0 draw at Firhill?

Yeah. They broke on us from a corner and we somehow ended up with two attackers against Irvine and then Main in goal. The Thistle players took out Main easily enough with an exchange of passes, leaving only the covering Irvine between Simon Donnelly (I think) and the goal and he manages to block the shot with his head. Never seen anything like it before or since.

He was right up there amongst our best players that season. Suspect the signing of Mackay showed that McInnes wasn't convinced he'd make the grade in the SPL either though. He's a guy that could probably win another couple of First Division titles but will be unlikely to ever establish himself at a top league club.

Yeah. They broke on us from a corner and we somehow ended up with two attackers against Irvine and then Main in goal. The Thistle players took out Main easily enough with an exchange of passes, leaving only the covering Irvine between Simon Donnelly (I think) and the goal and he manages to block the shot with his head. Never seen anything like it before or since.

He was right up there amongst our best players that season. Suspect the signing of Mackay showed that McInnes wasn't convinced he'd make the grade in the SPL either though. He's a guy that could probably win another couple of First Division titles but will be unlikely to ever establish himself at a top league club.

You can post here but not reply on the NDD thread?

Archived