The Arbroath Thread

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Clyde fans moaning that BF never went defensive after going a goal up on Saturday... Just saying ;)

Eta: at 2-2

We went a goal up on Wednesday, went very defensive, invited pressure onto ourselves and lost a goal then almost lost another one while we were still trying to regroup. On Saturday, we went one up around the same time and instead of going defensive we kept the same formation and kept at them which resulted in us having just as much of the ball as Elgin in the remaining time and keeping it in the corner for a good chunk of it. Dick got it spot on, and I hope he kept things as they were after seeing what happened against East Fife.

If there's 10 or so minutes left in a game and we're leading/ trying to get a point then I think it's far more beneficial to try and put the opposition under some sort of pressure. I fancy our chances far more if it's not a 10 minute barrage and the defence can get some respite while we're in possession or we have the ball in their half/ in the corners or whatever. If a defender has pressure on them at this level, half the time they hoof it out for a throw/ lose possession/ f**k up in some way; it's how half the goals come in League 2. It just doesn't make sense to me to let these guys walk up the park with it and give it to the ball players in the team 40 yards out from goal with no pressure on them whatsoever, regardless of the circumstances.

I could understand if we were up against top ball playing centre backs who're perfectly comfortable under pressure in possession but we're up against guys like Gerry McLauchlan and Andy Munro - any real pressure and there's a big chance of ball out the park/ hoof/ loss of possession.

We went a goal up on Wednesday, went very defensive, invited pressure onto ourselves and lost a goal then almost lost another one while we were still trying to regroup. On Saturday, we went one up around the same time and instead of going defensive we kept the same formation and kept at them which resulted in us having just as much of the ball as Elgin in the remaining time and keeping it in the corner for a good chunk of it. Dick got it spot on, and I hope he kept things as they were after seeing what happened against East Fife.

If there's 10 or so minutes left in a game and we're leading/ trying to get a point then I think it's far more beneficial to try and put the opposition under some sort of pressure. I fancy our chances far more if it's not a 10 minute barrage and the defence can get some respite while we're in possession or we have the ball in their half/ in the corners or whatever. If a defender has pressure on them at this level, half the time they hoof it out for a throw/ lose possession/ f**k up in some way; it's how half the goals come in League 2. It just doesn't make sense to me to let these guys walk up the park with it and give it to the ball players in the team 40 yards out from goal with no pressure on them whatsoever, regardless of the circumstances.

I could understand if we were up against top ball playing centre backs who're perfectly comfortable under pressure in possession but we're up against guys like Gerry McLauchlan and Andy Munro - any real pressure and there's a big chance of ball out the park/ hoof/ loss of possession.

We nearly lost a goal right from kick off too on Saturday.... End of the day if you're a goal up and have less than 10 minutes to play you should be able to see it out. There's advantages of going defensive and advantages keeping it the same way. Completely different games.

See United are using Gayf tonight for a development game, will this be a regular thing?

Jason Brown

Arbroath have completed the loan signing of 20 year old midfielder, Jason Brown from Inverness Caledonian Thistle until January 2017.

Jason came on as a substitute in our Betfred Cup defeat at Inverness in July.

In February he was named as one of the SPFL wonderkids to watch out for http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-wonderkid-17--jason-brown/

We look forward to seeing what Jason can during his time at Gayfield.

Welcome to the club!

Photograph courtesy spfl.co.uk

Jason Brown.jpg

Edited by Gayfield

I do think that Dick Campbell will do a job at Arbroath he is great guy and brings a lot of things to a club, but there is no great mystery about how he attracts players he just pays them more than everyone else offers, there is no way he would be at Arbroath unless he has been promised a big budget but good luck to him a Brechin legend and fully deserves his place in our Hall of Fame

Robbie Mutch 1 of 2 keepers in the Scotland U19 squad travelling to Athens next week to play Greece in 2 pre-tournament qualifying friendlies next week! Any historians out there know how many 'Internationalists' we have had over the years?

image.png