The Arbroath Thread

have to say its a joke there are no reasons to risk injuries to out players due to a friendly. if we had the same depth of player pool as dundee then maybe but we dont so WTF are we playing it

I agree it's unnecessary but, for example, say whilst we were waiting on Dundee getting back to us about extending Skelly's loan, they asked if we'd be okay to play a friendly against them during the premiership's break?Just a thought.

Very impressive goals against column by the way

Don't know if anyone else saw it either but after Celtic, with 0 defeats, ourselves and Hibs are joint second on least amount of games lost. Right from the off I said we had a cracking defence and midfield but struggled to score goals and Mutch was useless, now Gomes is in and we're finding the net more often.

If only Gomes had started from the start of the season I feel like we would've turned a few more of they draws into victories.

IMG_1483905976.411661.thumb.jpg.113a6724

good point mate but surely dc should look long tern regarding afc really cant see any benifits regarding tuesday aftre a saturday game its about recovery time monday nights are about that then wednesday are all out training so why are we doing this

This could help us out long term though, in terms of future loanees from Dundee. We've already helped them out by playing a closed door game earlier in the season so Dundee could field some trialists, and I'm sure Dundee used gayfield to play a closed doors friendly before the season started. Sure stuff like this will bode well with Dundee and we'll perhaps get first refusal on any youngsters Dundee are looking to farm out on loan.

Can't really see what the fuss is about, we've hardly had any bounce/friendly games so would imagine big Rab will play, Thomson, Sukur (suspended for 2 games over Xmas period) Callaghan, Malin, hodge, ferns, skelly, Jimmy, prunty plus maybe 1 or 2 trialists possibly. Seem fairly logical to play a game actually. 

Can't really see what the fuss is about, we've hardly had any bounce/friendly games so would imagine big Rab will play, Thomson, Sukur (suspended for 2 games over Xmas period) Callaghan, Malin, hodge, ferns, skelly, Jimmy, prunty plus maybe 1 or 2 trialists possibly. Seem fairly logical to play a game actually. 

This. If DC reckons we could use a game then I can't see the problem.

Just on Rab, where was he on Saturday?

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 21:27, Smokerson said:

Agree with this, jeezo you can get injured in training, we only play 1 friendly every 2 months or even 3 months so we need to do this to keep players match fit who are not getting a game and as has been said if this is partly helping DFC then good if we continue getting loan players from them.

Really do hope Big Rab dons the Red Lichtie goalie jumper.

I imagine the players might enjoy a friendly match in place of the usual training night and with the winter break for the premier league Dundee probably would like a game to try out fringe players etc. Also as previously stated DC will probably give our fringe players a start.

As long as both sets of players stay aware that it's a friendly and don't get over aggressive there shouldn't be any more risk of injury that can be had in training. 

I enjoy evening matches under the floodlights, when I was a laddie I used to think it was like watching the game in technicolour, so looking forward to tonight.