The Arbroath Thread

All quiet so far, surely we need to bring in a centre back or a defender of some sort today.

Before end of week atleast, not really too restricted to January at our level, but if Thomson is going out ( anyone heard why more? ) then we most definitely need one you would think.

1 minute ago, superlichtie87 said:

Does anyone know anything about Matty Smyth?

The development loan is confirmed on the Dundee FC website.

He did not play in the friendly match earlier this month.

Glad to have a backup defender now. I would believe that is the transfer business finished now.

Joined us in the summer from Stevenage. I took in a few development matches and he looks pretty composed and reads the game well enough but he's not the biggest so I'm a bit apprehensive about his aerial ability. Seems to be well rated by people in football and has always been around the national set-up.

Never really know how players will handle senior football though.

Joined us in the summer from Stevenage. I took in a few development matches and he looks pretty composed and reads the game well enough but he's not the biggest so I'm a bit apprehensive about his aerial ability. Seems to be well rated by people in football and has always been around the national set-up.
Never really know how players will handle senior football though.

Your description of him matches what my pal who plays for Dundee 20s says, will only be cover hopefully. As you say seems to have been involved in Northern Ireland's youth system for ages so that bodes well.

On 26/01/2017 at 10:56, SimonLichtie said:

Considering Dick has spent the last few weeks trying to get a centre back in, it seems very odd that he's supposedly decided to just give up and leave us with no cover in this position. I actually don't believe what he's saying in the paper regarding no more incomings, because the budget is there, it's obvious to everyone (including the man himself) what position we need and he is an experienced manager, so I would genuinely be gobsmacked if he just left things as they are.

<<<<<<<<<<< Had faith in Dick when others didn't.

<<<<<<<<<<< Had people calling his faith in Dick negative while half a dozen others jumped the gun and said he had fucked up etc etc.

<<<<<<<<<<< Has never had an issue with any manager using the loan system, unlike others who have been furious at previous managers doing so but are delighted with DC doing exactly the same thing

Personally think the loan system is fine as long as you don't over rely on it for first team starters who are all very young which has what has happened in the past. Our loans have all been development this season but apart from sukar they have been to complement and give cover/competition in places. Even Skelly has not been guaranteed a game this season even though he has been very good in the main.
I don't think DC has relied on the loan system the same as the last 2 seasons when all the loan players seemed to be starting every game and there was better imo on the bench.
I think though a football forum is somewhere to vent your thoughts and although it sometimes appears to be negative it's mainly just expressing concerns you may or may not be correct about.
We needed cover at the back and we have that now so seems a good piece of business to me.

5 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

I think though a football forum is somewhere to vent your thoughts and although it sometimes appears to be negative it's mainly just expressing concerns you may or may not be correct about.

Absolutely 100% spot on. I'd be utterly deluded if I thought I was correct anywhere near all of the time. I'm just right the majority of it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

'Dick Campbell is an arsehole for not doing X, Y and Z' - negative, unnecessary abuse and not useful at all.

'In my opinion, Dick should have done X or Y because.....' - constructive opinion which all fans are completely entitled too.

It amazes me that people seem to view my posts as negative :lol: For years any criticism I've had of any players, managers, the board or whatever has been posted in a constructive way as opposed to negatively. There is a huge difference, and I find it utterly bizarre that people have full on abused previous staff of the club and this is acceptable but people have a go at me for having a different opinion than our current manager.

Absolutely 100% spot on. I'd be utterly deluded if I thought I was correct anywhere near all of the time. I'm just right the majority of it :rolleyes::rolleyes:
'Dick Campbell is an arsehole for not doing X, Y and Z' - negative, unnecessary abuse and not useful at all.
'In my opinion, Dick should have done X or Y because.....' - constructive opinion which all fans are completely entitled too.
It amazes me that people seem to view my posts as negative :lol: For years any criticism I've had of any players, managers, the board or whatever has been posted in a constructive way as opposed to negatively. There is a huge difference, and I find it utterly bizarre that people have full on abused previous staff of the club and this is acceptable but people have a go at me for having a different opinion than our current manager.

How's it not negative?

You keep bringing up what previous (ones who were poor) managers up and saying why was everybody moaning then and why aren't people moaning now? :lol:

It's blatantly obvious and the fact it's still going on when we've done as well as we have so far into the season is just bizarre :lol: