The Arbroath Thread

Not that I think he would be a bad appointment for Caley Thistle, but who are the "several top young players" that have been produced since Sheerin went to Aberdeen? I'm genuinely struggling to name 1 tbh.

I thought I'd read that Aberdeen first team are the oldest in the league.

Not that I think he would be a bad appointment for Caley Thistle, but who are the "several top young players" that have been produced since Sheerin went to Aberdeen? I'm genuinely struggling to name 1 tbh.

Danny Rodgers, Scott McKenna, Scott Wright, Lawrence Shankland, Cammy Smith, Craig Storie, Declan McManus, Joe Shaughnessy are all players that Sheerin would've worked with whilst at Aberdeen.

Also Dean Campbell who's just became their youngest ever player.

Danny Rodgers, Scott McKenna, Scott Wright, Lawrence Shankland, Cammy Smith, Craig Storie, Declan McManus, Joe Shaughnessy are all players that Sheerin would've worked with whilst at Aberdeen.

Also Dean Campbell who's just became their youngest ever player.

Shaughnessy was already part of the first team by then so I'm not sure how much work he would have done with Sheerin. Rodgers I'll give you, and there's obviously potential with Wright and Campbell but I think the likes of Shankland and McManus is pushing it a bit.

As I said I don't think Sheerin would be a bad appointment, but I think we will probably see over the next couple of years whether or not he's developed any good young players at Aberdeen.

Shaughnessy was already part of the first team by then so I'm not sure how much work he would have done with Sheerin. Rodgers I'll give you, and there's obviously potential with Wright and Campbell but I think the likes of Shankland and McManus is pushing it a bit.

As I said I don't think Sheerin would be a bad appointment, but I think we will probably see over the next couple of years whether or not he's developed any good young players at Aberdeen.

He's been there 4 years and still would've worked with them. At the end of the day coaching and managing them is only a part of it.

The scouts that get these players in and the players themselves are the main factor in whether or not they'll be a success.

To be honest I think Sheerin brought in a load of players that were far too good for us at our level, and it started to unravel when they inevitably left, for me, there's some serious doubts about his managerial credentials. 

There were obvious weaknesses that he either didn't have the skill to address or just refused to. 

To be honest I think Sheerin brought in a load of players that were far too good for us at our level, and it started to unravel when they inevitably left, for me, there's some serious doubts about his managerial credentials. 

There were obvious weaknesses that he either didn't have the skill to address or just refused to. 

The only one you could genuinely say that about is Josh Falkingham to be fair.

All the others were lower league players.

He had 2 hugely successful seasons, a good one where we just missed out on the play offs, and a terrible one. For me the terrible season was because he went to much towards playing football and we just got battered every week and run over the top of.

Slowest strike force in world football with Bayne and Milne, a midfield of Chisholm, Smith, himself, Bobby Linn and Alan Cook and a defence that had Keddie and Travis centre half. Who were decent but for centre halves hardly the biggest of guys.

Plus the squad was filled out with guys like Sibby, Yao, Donaldson, Johnny Lindsay and youngsters.

Just weren't physical enough imo. Two players with a bit of pace in Bobby and Cooky and that was it. Just not a threat, too slow and too small, tried to play too much football and it back fired.

The only one you could genuinely say that about is Josh Falkingham to be fair.

All the others were lower league players.

He had 2 hugely successful seasons, a good one where we just missed out on the play offs, and a terrible one. For me the terrible season was because he went to much towards playing football and we just got battered every week and run over the top of.

Slowest strike force in world football with Bayne and Milne, a midfield of Chisholm, Smith, himself, Bobby Linn and Alan Cook and a defence that had Keddie and Travis centre half. Who were decent but for centre halves hardly the biggest of guys.

Plus the squad was filled out with guys like Sibby, Yao, Donaldson, Johnny Lindsay and youngsters.

Just weren't physical enough imo. Two players with a bit of pace in Bobby and Cooky and that was it. Just not a threat, too slow and too small, tried to play too much football and it back fired.

Swankie, Kerr.

Swankie, Kerr.

Kerr was crocked and hadn't played for a year or something after leaving first division Dundee and Swankie had just been punted from Saints.

Falky also had only made 1 senior appearance before playing for us too, 18/19 at the time so kind of guy that probably would've been loaned to our level anyway.

From the AFC Facebook page.

Arbroath Squad 2017 / 2018

Arbroath manager Dick Campbell has been working hard behind the scenes as he plans for our move up into League One.

Arbroath FC are delighted to announce that several key players of our Ladbrokes League 2 Championship winning side have agreed terms, committing themselves to Gayfield for next season.  

Steven Doris, Eddie Ferns, David Gold, Kane Hester, Omar Kader, Ricky Little, Ryan McCord, Bryan Prunty and Mark Whatley have all agreed terms to sign alongside Josh Skelly, Colin Hamilton and Bobby Linn who had already signed / were under contract.

We would also like to thank Donald McCallum, Matty Smyth and Jassem Sukar who were all on loan at Gayfield and played a part in our League Title.  Arbroath FC would like to go on record and also thank their parent clubs - Dumbarton FC, Dundee FC and Dundee United for allowing them to link up at Gayfield.

Of course as new players come in, there will be players moving in the opposition direction.  Martin Scott, Josh Thomson and Ryan Stewart all depart Gayfield but we would like to thank them all for their contribution they made and wish them all the very best for the future.

There will be further player announcements and details to come in the following days and weeks.

We hope these announcements will build the excitement for next season and we look forward to revealing more very soon.

C’mon the Lichties

So from that announcement from the Club, we still need a Keeper and Left Back.

Interestingly it doesn't mention Hodge, Malin, or Gomes leaving or staying so could be news on them soon.

Edited by WT Figo

So from that announcement from the Club, we still need a Keeper and Left Back.

Maybe they're speaking to Gomes still?

I think we'll maybe sign Hill.. still need a squad mind. Would expect a striker too. Hester must be kept cause he sees potential in him.

Keeper

Gold
Little
Hill (if he signs)
Hammy

Denholm (if he signs)
McCord
ToB (if he signs)
Linn

Doris
Striker

Back up keeper
Whatley
Prunty
Hester
Ferns
Skelly
Omar

Looks like we're needing a few defenders to be honest.

So from that announcement from the Club, we still need a Keeper and Left Back. Interestingly it doesn't mention Hodge, Malin, or Gomes leaving or staying so could be news on them soon.

Think Hodge is moving to Dubai and got told Malin is off.

Eta.

12 players. Plus 2 keepers. Plus rumoured ToB, Denholm, Hill. A striker. Makes 18. Plus plenty of guys that can play in defence/midfield and midfield/upfront. Loans if needed.

Looks good so far. Be buzzing to get any of the 3 mentioned.