The Arbroath Thread

Don't think Hammy had a bad game on Saturday. He wasn't playing left back so the flank getting exposed a bit wasn't just his area. With Linn playing as the left sided wing back/winger once Denholm went off and gold on the right there was always going to be more room to attack down the right hand side.

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:

Don't think Hammy had a bad game on Saturday. He wasn't playing left back so the flank getting exposed a bit wasn't just his area. With Linn playing as the left sided wing back/winger once Denholm went off and gold on the right there was always going to be more room to attack down the right hand side.

Hammy was much better on Saturday, but I still think he is a much better centre-back than left-back, but he is being asked to perform that role

I also thought Hammy was poor on Saturday. Caught out far too many times, luckily for us Forfar are utter fuckin garbage. If we continue to play with 3 at the back he needs to learn how to play as left sided man. If not and he continues to struggle then he has to be dropped. I like Hammy and think he has been an asset since signing but I believe he is worthy of the criticism he is receiving

Since the move to the back 3 we have looked a lot more solid and won three on the bounce, granted that has been against dross like Queens Park, Berwick and Forfar so it will be interesting to see if we go with it against one of the teams further up the table and how it works. Little, O'Brien and Hammy are suited perfectly to a back 3 but agree that a natural left back / left wing back would really top it off if its something we go with long term. Gold or Omar could probably do the job well, with Bobby or even Danny out there, it leaves Hammy far too exposed.

To say Hammy has been "pish" is just ridiculous, he's had one or two poor games.

Since the move to the back 3 we have looked a lot more solid and won three on the bounce, granted that has been against dross like Queens Park, Berwick and Forfar so it will be interesting to see if we go with it against one of the teams further up the table and how it works. Little, O'Brien and Hammy are suited perfectly to a back 3 but agree that a natural left back / left wing back would really top it off if its something we go with long term. Gold or Omar could probably do the job well, with Bobby or even Danny out there, it leaves Hammy far too exposed.
To say Hammy has been "pish" is just ridiculous, he's had one or two poor games.

Think Yule or Martin have been dropping back quite a bit when the RW whoever it is pushes on too. Not really happening on the left.

The thing is, we could easily sit in and shitfest games, with 4 or 3 at the back and two more defensive minded players on the wings/ or as wing backs if a 3 and we'd obviously be a lot harder to break down. However, while we obviously need a balance within the team I'd much rather see us go out and try to win games of football as we have been doing under Dick than start trying to tighten things right up and shitfest games to grind out a point or three. These are the sort of tactics teams fighting to stay up have to try and play; we're better than that.

We have the attacking minded players to go out and try to score 2/3 a game, we're far better focusing on that than putting all our focus on being hard to break down and keeping things defensive. Does anyone remember what it was like watching football under John McGlashan!? Turgid, turgid stuff at times, and it's absolutely brutal to watch from a fans perspective. Bobby Linn will never offer as much cover on the wing as Omar or David Gold will, but he contributes more goals/ assists than anyone else we have from the position he plays which for me negates the lack of cover he can offer at times. I want us to get results, but we also want to entertain and having our wingers running at full backs and creating/ scoring goals is far more entertaining than having defensive minded players our wide.

When we struggle for a few weeks and ship goals (like East Fife and Ayr games back to back) then by all means we need to try and shore things up as a priority (and we did v QP, with the 3-4-1-2 with two more defensive minded players out wide) but over the course of the season we have to continue as we have been - with the aim of simply scoring one more than the opposition as opposed to keeping a clean sheet and trying to nick a goal. I still think Dick can be tactically naive, especially in terms of in game management, but in the last few weeks he's starting with the right players/ formation in my opinion.

With Stevie D out for the rest of the season,  Skelly out for a few months, Swanks and DD out for a few weeks we really are under the cosh in regards forwards, McIntosh i would imagine will be a certain starter on Saturday up front and hopefully both Prunts and Hester both get a chance to stake a claim, imo both have not had a run of games to prove themselves so now could be their chance, they are both natural forwards whereas we have tended to play "wide" players like Linn or "midfield" players like McCord up front when short (both of who do a good job) but i would like to see both Prunts and Hester get a chance and both will know if they do get a chance they have to take it.

With all the after mentioned players out injured it is amazing we still have a very good strong squad.

With Stevie D out for the rest of the season,  Skelly out for a few months, Swanks and DD out for a few weeks we really are under the cosh in regards forwards, McIntosh i would imagine will be a certain starter on Saturday up front and hopefully both Prunts and Hester both get a chance to stake a claim, imo both have not had a run of games to prove themselves so now could be their chance, they are both natural forwards whereas we have tended to play "wide" players like Linn or "midfield" players like McCord up front when short (both of who do a good job) but i would like to see both Prunts and Hester get a chance and both will know if they do get a chance they have to take it.
With all the after mentioned players out injured it is amazing we still have a very good strong squad.

Regardless of how many fit strikers we have at the club, DC does not rate Hester enough to give him a start. Same goes for Prutny. He will probably play Swankie or McCord upfront if McIntosh was to be unavailable.

From what i have heard is that Hester is going to Montrose in January with Gary Fraser coming to us in return.

Would expect Prutny to be moving on as well.

Regardless of how many fit strikers we have at the club, DC does not rate Hester enough to give him a start. Same goes for Prutny. He will probably play Swankie or McCord upfront if McIntosh was to be unavailable.

From what i have heard is that Hester is going to Montrose in January with Gary Fraser coming to us in return.

I really hope this isn’t true. I’d rather have Hester than Fraser

Who did you hear this from?

There’s been a Montrose fan saying this ever since we took him on loan. Maybe it’s caught on. We will need to move players on to bring anyone in I imagine.